4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Persistant Problem with Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 12:21 PM

For the past year I have had a persistant problem with my "Check Engine" light being on. I have had the ECU check a number of times and each time everything checks out OK. The service departmet then resets the light and about three weeks later it comes on again. This process has repeated itself several times. Is this a common problem with 95 Maxima? How do I reset this light myself?

Old 09-05-2000, 02:37 PM
Che

reset check engine light

if you wanna reset the light yourself....put key in on the ignition in the engine off position (where it would be if car were started...seatbelt lights and such on). turn ecu screw clockwise for two seconds then all the way counterclockwise.....finally turn full counterclockwise. then start up your car and check engine light will be reset

Old 09-05-2000, 03:13 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by jsetaro
For the past year I have had a persistant problem with my "Check Engine" light being on. I have had the ECU check a number of times and each time everything checks out OK. The service departmet then resets the light and about three weeks later it comes on again. This process has repeated itself several times. Is this a common problem with 95 Maxima? How do I reset this light myself?
Did you guys actually try and trace the code? or just reset the ECU?
Old 09-05-2000, 03:17 PM
Che

good point...

i was just saving him a trip to the dealership because he made it seem like the dealership could find nothing wrong
Old 09-05-2000, 03:52 PM

same problem

Hey I was having the same problems with my 95 GXE....I work at a Muffler & Brake shop..so I had some ideas...there's a sensor..that went bad in my vehicle..so that might be what you also might be dealing with..unfortunately I was never told which one..I just told them to fix it...so if that helps you out..

Old 09-05-2000, 05:01 PM
maxmze

same prob

where is the ecu screw?? I know its probably a dumb *** question???

Old 09-05-2000, 05:26 PM
MaxRX7

Re: same prob

Originally posted by maxmze
where is the ecu screw?? I know its probably a dumb *** question???
On the ECU, duh! j/k. The ECU is to the top right of the accelerator pedal.

Old 09-05-2000, 07:44 PM
plainjanemax

Or, unhook your battery overnight. This resets computer

Old 09-05-2000, 09:32 PM
OG :)

trace it

Originally posted by Shingles
[/I]
Did you guys actually try and trace the code? or just reset the ECU? [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2000, 11:47 PM

Each time the check engine light comes on, the ECU stores an error code. If the dealer is telling you they can't pull a code, they are just trying to screw you over until you are out of warranty so they can gouge your checkbook. Take it to an independent mechanic and have him pull the code, or do the process yourself (see Andi's FAQ on biggerbox.com).

Old 09-06-2000, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MIL Troubles

I had the same problem with my 98 SE. That yellow light would come on and off regularly. So I set out to solve it. I put the ECU into morse code mode to read me the code. It was like 3709 or something. Referring to my service manual it told me that the code meant an issue with the charcoal canister and the vent control valve, basically emissions stuff venting the fumes from the gas tank back to the engine. Not a major problem. I took it to a dealer, paid $50 and they couldn't get the code. I guess the light went off when they checked it. I took it a second time and they saw it. They replaced my vent conrtol valve and other emissions parts around the gas tank. Bill came to $350 (Ouch!). Thru one of the threads on the Maxima list I found out that the emissions systems has a 3 year/50K mile warranty. I faxed my invoice to Nissan coporate. 2 weeks later the dealer called me and isssued me a total refund.
You should 1st try to find out what the code is on your light. to do that, put your ignition key in the on or run position, but the engine is off. Just above and to the right of the accelerator pedal is the ECU of the car. It's covered by a panel. That panel is held in place by two plastic fasteners. Pull them off (I just pulled the whole panel . . .carefully) Now the ECU is exposed. You'll see a spot where you cn place a flat head screw driver. While turning the screw, watch the yellow light on your dashboard. Once you've turned it enough, it will start flashing. Interret it like morse code. 3 slow flashes followed by 7 fast ones means 37. Do that and get the 4 digit code. Once you've done that, tell me what the code is and I'll lookinto my service manual.

DW