4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clicking sound at the top of my left front strut when braking and turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clicking sound at the top of my left front strut when braking and turning

I don't think I blew the strut but something is wrong near the top where the center bolt sits. I had my fiance turn the wheel all the way to the left and saw that the top of the strut is moving and making the clicking sound. It was driving me crazy all week, then I remembered I hit a raised manhole cover earlier this week. So, I'm thinking I need new bushings or something. Should I just get the new bushings or buy new struts plus bushings???

Is it possible I busted the left strut mount?
Old 07-06-2002, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Clicking sound at the top of my left front strut when braking and turning

Originally posted by deezo
I don't think I blew the strut but something is wrong near the top where the center bolt sits. I had my fiance turn the wheel all the way to the left and saw that the top of the strut is moving and making the clicking sound. It was driving me crazy all week, then I remembered I hit a raised manhole cover earlier this week. So, I'm thinking I need new bushings or something. Should I just get the new bushings or buy new struts plus bushings???
When you checked for the clicking noise was your max on the ground or raised? I just went through this clicking noise which turned into a groaning noise everytime the suspension would move. For me it turned out that the isolater sleeving for the spring had moved down from where I installed it. I'm assumming that the clicking noise was the end of the spring at the top of the strut tower was catching the isolator until the spring finally wore it down so that there was metal to metal conact which caused the groaning sound. I replaced the isolater sleeving and taped it in place to prevent it from moving in the future. Be sure to check the top of your spring for any abrasion.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:48 PM

Re: Re: Clicking sound at the top of my left front strut when braking and turning

Originally posted by speedtrip

When you checked for the clicking noise was your max on the ground or raised? I just went through this clicking noise which turned into a groaning noise everytime the suspension would move. For me it turned out that the isolater sleeving for the spring had moved down from where I installed it. I'm assumming that the clicking noise was the end of the spring at the top of the strut tower was catching the isolator until the spring finally wore it down so that there was metal to metal conact which caused the groaning sound. I replaced the isolater sleeving and taped it in place to prevent it from moving in the future. Be sure to check the top of your spring for any abrasion.
I took a look at the whole strut while my fiance rocked the wheel back and forth and the springs didn't make any noise at all. I don't hear the now when going over bumps. I really hear it when the car is coming to a stop. The strut is definitely loose around the top. I was looking into my alldata account and I found an explosion of the strut assembly but I have no idea of what part really holds the strut in place to prevent the movement.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Deezo - Can you see the strut mount move from inside the engine bay? In other words, looking down at the top (strut shaft nut area) is the assembly moving around in there? It shouldn't. If thats the case your upper strut mount is shot. You can buy just the rubber bushing inner piece for that.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Deezo - Can you see the strut mount move from inside the engine bay? In other words, looking down at the top (strut shaft nut area) is the assembly moving around in there? It shouldn't. If thats the case your upper strut mount is shot. You can buy just the rubber bushing inner piece for that.
I can see it moving a little from the top and I hear the noise only coming from the left side.Can you supply the part number so I can be sure I'm getting the right part. This is the part number I found.......

. 8 - Strut Mount . 5432040U00 . $40.70
Old 07-06-2002, 09:24 PM

My car made this clicking noise for a while and it took me awhile to figure it out, but it ended up being the little gray bearings between the strut and the mounbt
Old 07-06-2002, 11:31 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Mine was clicking a bit and it was the bearing. I think they are around $25 or so.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:20 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

You may just have take it apart... You will eventually have to do it anyways...

You may have this pic anyways but:
Old 07-07-2002, 08:09 AM

Thanks Chunger. I do have that image printed out. I may just have to break down and take the car into the dealership. I just don't have the time to work on it nor do I have the tools.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:22 AM

I got a similar problem. The noise seem to be coming from the driver side near the front wheel. I would get this loud grinding/clunking noise, sound like things are going to fall apart. I only get the noise if I make a left hand turn, if I turn right, there's no noise. I'm going to have to bring it to the dealer for mine because I checked and have no idea where the noise is coming from. I thought it was because of the bracket that's between the ypipe and the cat that was banging against the side of the car. I put a small cushion there and shake the ypipe, the banging noise was gone. However, when I drove the car around, when I made a left hand turn, the clunking noise was still there. Darn it!
Old 07-07-2002, 10:19 AM

Deezo, with the whole strut moving a little, it sounds like it might be the mount that's shot. If it's the strut bearing, you should hear kind of a like a grrrrnnnnchhh pop type of sound when you turn the wheel with the car not moving while it's sitting on the ground.

BTW, did you ever get the steering rack taken care of?
Old 07-07-2002, 10:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Strut Mount . 5432040U00 . $40.70
Deezo - Strut Mount Isolator part # 2 in that exploded diagaram. Thats the part you need, and 40 bucks seems about right. I had one go on me. They shouldn't move at all. The rubber probably seperated from the metal plate that it's attached to. Thats how mine went.

Actually I busted mine when I didn't use a torque wrench to tighten up the top strut bolt. I use a bit to much of my MUSCLE.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

BTW, did you ever get the steering rack taken care of?
Yes, a loose hose.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Deezo - Strut Mount Isolator part # 2 in that exploded diagaram. Thats the part you need, and 40 bucks seems about right. I had one go on me. They shouldn't move at all. The rubber probably seperated from the metal plate that it's attached to. Thats how mine went.

Actually I busted mine when I didn't use a torque wrench to tighten up the top strut bolt. I use a bit to much of my MUSCLE.
I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Thanks all.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:21 AM

Does the strut top mount assembly contain the strut bearing, ie parts 1 thru 6 in the image? I was going to just get a new set when I swap in the AGX's. The old ones have 118k on them and I assue that there are due.

Lovejoy
Old 07-08-2002, 06:26 AM

I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Thanks all.
Don't take it to the dealer! Save some money, do it yourself.

If you think it is the upper strut bearing, visit www.motorvate.ca, and click on suspension, Strut Bearing R & R.

I had to replace mine. When turning (like in a parking lot) I would hear a "crunk-crunk-crunk" sound. After a while the grease dries out, and the bearings stick. This causes the spring to wind up a little, then the bearing "un-sticks" and the spring unwinds, making the "crunk-crunk-crunk" sound

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2002, 06:45 AM

suspension party??

Hey, Deez, I have to replace my bearings too. They're in stock always at my local dealership. If you wanna do this, I can help you. It shouldn't take too long...the worst part is compressing the springs.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:22 AM
mtman74

Are you guys getting a single ping noise or is it repeating/grinding noise?

I recently had my clutch replaced and when I got the car back, when I make a wide left turn and bring the wheel back to straight, I get the ping right when the wheel turns back to straight. It is only when I am moving and can not replicate the sound when sittting in the driveway and turning the wheel.

Do you think that this is the strut or did the shop that did my clutch hose up something else?

Old 07-08-2002, 07:45 AM

Re: suspension party??

Originally posted by Lime
Hey, Deez, I have to replace my bearings too. They're in stock always at my local dealership. If you wanna do this, I can help you. It shouldn't take too long...the worst part is compressing the springs.
Do you have a place where we can do the job? I'll buy new bearings today if I get off work in time.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by MaxVQ

Don't take it to the dealer! Save some money, do it yourself.

If you think it is the upper strut bearing, visit www.motorvate.ca, and click on suspension, Strut Bearing R & R.

I had to replace mine. When turning (like in a parking lot) I would hear a "crunk-crunk-crunk" sound. After a while the grease dries out, and the bearings stick. This causes the spring to wind up a little, then the bearing "un-sticks" and the spring unwinds, making the "crunk-crunk-crunk" sound

Good Luck
Ok, ok!!!!! I'll do it myself but I'll need to buy a good spring compressor.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:11 AM

Ok, ok!!!!! I'll do it myself but I'll need to buy a good spring compressor.
"Rent" one from Autozone. It's only a fully refundable $45 deposit. I've used it many times.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:26 AM

Deez, ya, there are a few places we can do the suspension. Just depends on when you want to do it. TDM is good about letting me us a bay/tools after hours.

To be sure it's the mount bearings...do you feel AND hear the noise when turning the wheel when the car is on the ground?
Old 07-08-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Lime
Deez, ya, there are a few places we can do the suspension. Just depends on when you want to do it. TDM is good about letting me us a bay/tools after hours.

To be sure it's the mount bearings...do you feel AND hear the noise when turning the wheel when the car is on the ground?
Yeah. I looked and checked to see if the whole strut was moving and its not. I'm getting a clunking noise from the bearing area.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:46 AM

wooooooo maybe we can convince Tom to join us ^_^ Big party!!!! ^_^
Old 07-08-2002, 03:36 PM

I had a simular problem and it was the strut mount (isolator). The strut mount has a "D" shaped hole in it where the top of the strut comes through (also "D" shaped). The mount and bolt on the strut wear against each other and the "D" turns into an "O" allowing the strut rod to move around. A quick way to check this is to try and tighten the nut on the top of the strut. If it turns the strut shaft then the mount is bad.

Please post back here what you find.