4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SHould I go with these Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:03 PM

SHould I go with these Rims?

Well, here's the deal. I hadn't planned on buying a new set of wheels for the Maxima yet, however Pep Boys is clearing out Primax 478 wheels (see pic below) and I can get my hands on them for $49.00 each. They are 15X6.5s go on my 96 GXE (Ruby Red). Here's the real problem - I called Primax and those 15X6.5s weight 21 pounds each. I know the stock steelies I hava on now weight less - but I just hate the way they look. So should I go with these? As for the obvious questions: Why am I staying with 15's, cos I just bought a set of brand new tires and I cannot afford to just discard them and buy a new set. 2) Why these rims when I can find lighter 15's? Because these are just 49.99 at Pep Boys and I cannot afford to spend much more than that for New wheels.

Guys, just tell me what you think...

Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2002, 12:20 PM

Re: SHould I go with these Rims?

I guess it would help if I actually attached the picture of the Wheel

Old 07-09-2002, 12:29 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it we my car, I'd keep the steelies for now, save for a while, and buy at nice set of at least 16" wheels from somewhere other than PepBoys.

While they may look better than the steelies, I think you'd be happier in the long run. Hell for twice what those PepBoys wheels would cost, I'm sure you could get 97-99 SE Wheels or NA 300ZX wheels with tires and be a lot happier.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:12 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

save your money and buy what you really want
Old 07-09-2002, 02:08 PM

An aftermarket rim that is stock size 15" will look like crap. Don't waste your money on POS Pepboy rims. 50 bucks a wheel is some what expensive...TireRack has deals and you can find 17" for 75-90. You you will be very unhappy with those, 21lbs is a lot of weight . Unless they are 15" Volks mated on AutoX tires for racing, your not going to like it.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, first I was glad to see you had the courage to ask this question among this crowd of Ultra- Fancy $ Mods folks (who I enjoy by the way). I had the exact same impulse (ie. to buy those same exact rims) about 2 months ago and really came close, I mean I actually went back to my car, sat there and thought about it for a moment. Well, I decided not to go back into the store and instead to hold on and see what else might come along. (Meanwhile, I'll save up a bit more.) Like everything else we do to our cars (including buying them in the first place), it's all about emotions and you can really learn a lesson in controlling them in a situation like this. So good luck!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you are going to upgrade, upgrade to 16" 17" or 18". Don't just swap for the same 15" rims. Like these other guys said, it's a waste of money for 15" rims.

If you REALLY want new rims and tires to upgrade your ride(performance and looks), try to get some USED 300z NA rims and tires. I've seen sets(16x7) w/ 225-50-16 good condition tires for about $300(give or take shipping).

These are light, look great and are 16x7 to boot.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:25 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Jeff92se

These are light, look great and are 16x7 to boot.
16X7.5

theblue and I bought a set together (to split up for drags) from a local guy for $200 with tires (which we went and tossed). Much better deal than the Pep Boys wheels!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:28 PM

Nothing is a "Good Deal"...

...if you really don't want them.

Take your time, wait a couple of weeks, save up for some rims that are just right.

Org members don't want you driving on rims that were cheap. We drive by those guys all the time with 14inch "Chrome Hub Caps", cheap peeling purple tint, with the matching peeling wind deflectors, you know they bought alot of their product because they couldn't wait. They get all ****ed off because their girlfriend looks over at the "tight" mods that look right.

Those guys should have saved their money and bought better products.

Hang in there..your time...and the "right" rims...will come.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Over the years since modifying my Maxima I've learned that you should get EXACTLY what you want. Don't settle for anything. If you don't have the money yet, then wait and save.

I would go with nothing smaller than a 16" rim and even at that, make sure you get a wide 16X7.5 or 16X8 rim. With extra width and the right offset, the 16s will look much bigger than they really are. People always mistake my 16X7.5 Kosei K1s with 225/50s for being 17s.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0003.jpg

Dave
Old 07-09-2002, 09:26 PM

SAME HERE, SAVE YOUR $$$$$$$$$
Old 07-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

First, i hate disagreeing with guys on the board b/c they "flame" all too often. My opinion is not the same as everyone else's, but that is the point.

That said:
I like those primax rims. Yeah, they are heavy, but who cares? I mean, 16"s or 17"s will probably be fairly heavy, plus have a greater rotating diameter, thus compounding the problem. I think that on a red max, they will look pretty tight, especially if you might lower your max down the road. If you DO want to go to 16"s or larger, don't you think that you could sell your Primaxes on eBay or something (when you wear the tires out), for at LEAST 1/2 of what you pay for the rims? I think that you could. That way you can get the most out of the $ that you just spent on tires, get rims that look better, and put the spare cash into other mods.

Here is the counterpoint:
I ALMOST got new 15" tires for my GLE rims, then was going to get new rims down the road, but I was offered a GREAT deal on som 16" SE rims, and the guy at sears (where I buy a LOT of tires) will give me the 15" price for a set of 16" tires, so I can afford it. That brings me to the contrary point, which is that if you wait, you COULD run on your GXE 15"s with new tires, save $, get 16 or 17" rims, then save MORE $ and get tires, and by then have worn down your 15" tires to the point where you are ready for new tires. It is just a matter of waiting for the right offer for rims and tires. If you keep running on what you already have, you could put the $200 that you would have spent toward new rims and tires in the right size. Or, that $200 could go a LONG way toward struts and springs or an RSB/FTSB combo to tweak your handling. It just depends on what you want. If you don;t forsee having more cahs to drop on rims in the next few months, get the Primax rims and work on a drop to reduce your wheel gap and tighten handling. If you are patient and will have more $ coming in, stick with what you have and look around for a good deal on rims and tires.

It is all a matter of choice...
Old 07-10-2002, 07:22 AM

Wow..I didn;t expect this much of a response. I didn't check the forum until this morning and was impressed with the responses. I don't envision doing much more performance and handling mods to the Maxima other than what I already have which is just a FSTB. As stupid as this sounds, I actually like the way the car rides stock. Sure it's on the mushy side, but I use my car maybe 99% of the time to travel to work and back and/or riding with my girlfriend and cornering grip isn't exactly high priority. The other 1% of the time I still get to outhandle more "performance tuned" cars just by driving smarter. I would probably be less happy with the somewhat harsher ride a lower profile tire may give.

I guess my point is I will probably never go for a fully-upgraded suspension (heck- I was considering keeping the steelies the entire time).

phenryiv1 - Excellent advise. It's really a question of how much more I want to spend on car rather than affordability. I just feel better spending any extra money I have towards towards a little more principle on my mortgage payment or an extra credit card payment. I am not dissing anyone here...in fact I admire a lot of the cars that I see on this board and I am constantly seen at my keyboard drooling over some of the rides here.

One of the other things I couldn't figure out was about the "wheel gap" that was associated with running 15 inch rimes or similar. How is that an issue when a 205/65/15 has a overall circumference that is about 2 inches LARGER than a 2255/50/16?

Would anybody have a different opinion after what I have mentioned above?
Old 07-10-2002, 07:53 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Wheel gap is NOT such an issue given the tire size that you listed, nor is it a biig deal if YOU don't mind it. I mind mine, but not enough to drop my car at this point. Actually, i just mind it in the front, the rear is fine.

I think that you have a long-sighted view, and that is good. Just don't expect everyone on the forum to say "go get them," b/c most guys on here place their cars in high priority. I am somewhere in the middle.

The point is, if you like the ride and just want the look of custom rims, get them. Like I said, if you want to go bigger, you can sell those forat least 1/2 as much down the road...