4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I use larger diameter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 PM

Can I use larger diameter tires?

Any one know how much larger of a diameter tire can fit under the maxima w/o any problems. I have a 96 w/progress springs. Would it be possible to put something like 225/55/17's ? And yes I know this will hurt acceleration, but I dont have a little ***** so I hardly ever feel the need to "race" anyone so its ok. The reason I want the bigger tires is to make the wheels/tires look like they fit the wheel arches better, and to give me a little more ground clearance for every day driving situation.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can I use larger diameter tires?

Originally posted by fsumax
Any one know how much larger of a diameter tire can fit under the maxima w/o any problems. I have a 96 w/progress springs. Would it be possible to put something like 225/55/17's ? And yes I know this will hurt acceleration, but I dont have a little ***** so I hardly ever feel the need to "race" anyone so its ok. The reason I want the bigger tires is to make the wheels/tires look like they fit the wheel arches better, and to give me a little more ground clearance for every day driving situation.
You could do that but your speedo would be off by quite a bit... about 6% too slow... so when you are going 100 it will read 94... not a good thing if you happen to be hit by radar.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First describe what kinds of wheels you have on your car.

If they're stock, I don't think putting 225s would be a good idea. Stick with 215s at the most.

To get a more "flush" look with the archs of your wheel wells, get a lower numbered offset wheel (not too low though) and/or get a wider wheel.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:22 AM

I just put 225/50/17 bridgestone potenzas on my wheels and am very happy with them. I wanted to sacrifice as little ride, and traction (we get lots of snow here) as possible for my new rims. My speedo is about 1% off (slow), and the car sits up nicely.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Can I use larger diameter tires?

Originally posted by fsumax

I went with 225/50/16. Speedo is off around 1%.
No problems with tire roll.