4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PLEASE HELP...Problem with nissan dealer-knock sensor-coils-car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 01:07 PM

PLEASE HELP...Problem with nissan dealer-knock sensor-coils-car.

Today, Kings Nissan on Coney Island changed three coils in the back charging me $310.00. I told them to not change them but they said there would be an 80 dollar service charge. I came in with a problem yesterday morning because my car is jerking and they replaced a knock sensor which did not solve the problem but I ended up paying $379.47. They told me they would look at the car today free of charge but in the end are charging me for time they spent on it. I told them today not to change the coils but I do not want to spend $80.00 dollars for no reason. You can refer to Thread for further information. My question is, do I have a claim if I take them to court and will I be able to prove to the judge my knock sensor had nothing to do with the problem and my coils which they said are broken electronically actually do work fine. (They are giving me back the old ones). I want to sue this place for ripping me off. I will sue them 100% for their service charge that they told me would not charge since its the same problem I came in with the day before but are in fact adding it to my bill. I will argue this one more time when I go pick up my car in an hour.

Thank You, David.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

See if they'll give you a small break on the labor for todays work. The KS probably needed to be changed. The computer probably gave the techs the famous KS code at first. The coils are definately what was causing your jerking. They were probably just about ready to quit. The techs can manually measure each one and see if it's within specs or close enough to be considered "on it's way out". Being they were firing your plugs pretty good, it didn't set the CEL light just yet. In due time I'm sure they would have.

I don't think you really have a case, but the dealer should have checked the coil packs the first time you brought the car in complaining of the jerk or miss at idle. That was definately a sympton of a failing coil pack, not a knock sensor. However your car probably needed the KS as well. Don't sweat it, you will feel the difference a new KS makes!!!!

Be nice and try to make some kind of a deal with the service advisor. Tell him they should have checked the coils the first time and that bringing the car back again was a inconvienence for you. Perhaps they can take some labor cost off, but I almost doubt it.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:40 PM

Alright, I will go there and ask them to cut down on the labor fees. If they in fact did everything right and changed what is needed to be changed I will try not to sweat it too much. However, I know for a fact they told they will not charge me for looking at the car only since they charged me fees the first day for computer etc... they said today they will charge "labor fees for replacing anything that is broken". So, $80 dollars in labor fees is around one hour of work. Come on it takes like 5 minutes to change a coil. I'm not bending over for them, damn dealer!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Let us know how you make out, and how the car runs!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 05:40 PM

Damn, thats a lot of $$$!!!

Im glad Im mechanically inclined.....

The dealers always have you by the short hairs no matter what these days.....
Hope it turns out ok for you
Old 07-10-2002, 06:57 PM

I know a few things about my car like how to change spark plugs, oil, fuel filter not that much but a few so I'm not that dumb as they may think I'm. Anyway, they told me they worked on my car for 1.9 hours and all they ended up doing was changing 3 coils. They said they ran tests etc.. but I really did not care since they ran the tests last night. I ended up paying $226 for 3 coils and 74 dollars for labor which is counted as $80.00 dollars an hour. So they took off some labor fees which they racked up anyway. Other then that the car runs like a charm. I can't wait to get it to the track. Also, one more question what is the regular idle rpm because it idles around 800 but before it used to idle around 500-600 rpm. Thanks, David.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
I know a few things about my car like how to change spark plugs, oil, fuel filter not that much but a few so I'm not that dumb as they may think I'm. Anyway, they told me they worked on my car for 1.9 hours and all they ended up doing was changing 3 coils. They said they ran tests etc.. but I really did not care since they ran the tests last night. I ended up paying $226 for 3 coils and 74 dollars for labor which is counted as $80.00 dollars an hour. So they took off some labor fees which they racked up anyway. Other then that the car runs like a charm. I can't wait to get it to the track. Also, one more question what is the regular idle rpm because it idles around 800 but before it used to idle around 500-600 rpm. Thanks, David.
800 rpm is normal.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When my coils went...

...no 2 and I think 4...I dished out $660.00 total to have all 6 changed out to brand new ones...OUCH! but I have major piece of mind and the car runns Smooth and Strong now. seems to pull "deeper" into WOT.

Stangely enough...my friend that works at the same dealership (although in sales) checked the part Numbers for the 6 coils on my service invoice and they were Not ignition coils listed for the 97-99s but for 2001+...maybe a F* up at the service dept and my benefit?...