5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

God damn Nissan dealer (long grumblin')

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:17 AM

God Damn Nissan dealer (long grumblin')

I had an appointment to drop off my car at the local dealer for what could be a simple wheel alignment problem. Basically, the car pulls to one side when you go over man hold covers, it makes a weird noise when going fast over speed bumps, and it doesn't steer right - when turning from a stop and allowing the wheel to come back straight, it turns back too fast.

Anyway, I was told that if I can't duplicate the problem with the guy in the car that they wouldn't take it in. Well, after driving around and not being able to duplicate the problem, I had to drive off with my car. I gave them the TSB on the control arm thing so they're finding out if it applies to my car.

I told them "what if it's a simple wheel alignment and I don't find out until my tires are worn out uneven in 6 months" - my car is about 6 weeks old and has 1600 miles.

Is this how all Nissan or warranty jobs work? If so, it sucks. I may just take the car to get a wheel alignment and if it needed it I'll try and get the dealer to pay for it.

Well, nough *****in'
Old 07-15-2002, 11:25 AM

Hear this, and go back to your dealer. The control arm issue is NOT a TSB, it is a mandatory recall. That means if your VIN number is in the range of vehicles affected, (if it is a 2002 it probably is) then you need to take it to the dealer and INSIST that they do the repairs or tell them you will call Nissan North America and report them. You can determine if your VIN number is affected by checking the ranges on the nissandriven.com website and look for the recalls area. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:13 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah..

your dealer sucks.. find another.. btw, BY LAW EVERYTHING is covered in the first year 12m/12K.. everything, alignment, tires, brakes everything!

AND I mean the control arm can break and send you off the road, its a recall. They are endangering you with their slacking. You should call Nissan about that. Thats more than wrong.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:23 PM

Re: yeah..

Originally posted by TimW
your dealer sucks.. find another.. btw, BY LAW EVERYTHING is covered in the first year 12m/12K.. everything, alignment, tires, brakes everything!

AND I mean the control arm can break and send you off the road, its a recall. They are endangering you with their slacking. You should call Nissan about that. Thats more than wrong.
Hi Tim, does this recall concern 2k1 max too ?

Cheers

AA
Old 07-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: God Damn Nissan dealer (long grumblin')

Originally posted by maximilion
I had an appointment to drop off my car at the local dealer for what could be a simple wheel alignment problem. Basically, the car pulls to one side when you go over man hold covers, it makes a weird noise when going fast over speed bumps, and it doesn't steer right - when turning from a stop and allowing the wheel to come back straight, it turns back too fast.

Anyway, I was told that if I can't duplicate the problem with the guy in the car that they wouldn't take it in. Well, after driving around and not being able to duplicate the problem, I had to drive off with my car. I gave them the TSB on the control arm thing so they're finding out if it applies to my car.

I told them "what if it's a simple wheel alignment and I don't find out until my tires are worn out uneven in 6 months" - my car is about 6 weeks old and has 1600 miles.

Is this how all Nissan or warranty jobs work? If so, it sucks. I may just take the car to get a wheel alignment and if it needed it I'll try and get the dealer to pay for it.

Well, nough *****in'
If they sent you away....with that traverse link recal thingy NOT done...just go to a different dealer...ive found a good dealer here in Nor-cali..with a cool service manager and great tech's. I brought my car in for a MAF problem..and without me saying anything both of my recalls (traverse and pedal stop) were completed. You shouldn't hafta ask for a known problem to be fixed. Just shows what kinda crappy dealership that was.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:51 PM

I just took the car in this morning waiting for them to finish up to go pick it up
I can't belive a dealership would give u problems with a mandantory recall
Old 07-15-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: God Damn Nissan dealer (long grumblin')

Well, nough *****in'
I'm not a big fan of Nissan service either. I was really considering trading in for an I35 even though its basically the same car, but the service from Infiniti is so much better. But then again, that G35 Coupe has been driving through my head when I sleep and I want it pretty badly. I might just wait for that.

Don't take any sh*t from the dealers.. go somewhere else, get it fixed, and then complain about the service at the first one to Nissan. They'll get some heat for it.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:04 PM

I really appreciate all the support!!! Thanks guys!!

Just an update:
1. The dealer called and said that my car's VIN was NOT part of the recall. That sucks! Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

2. And this is the kicker... unfortunately I live on an island in Hawaii and we only have ONE dealer!!!!!

Man, things just seem to get worse and worse!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:24 PM

I really appreciate all the support!!! Thanks guys!!

Just an update:
1. The dealer called and said that my car's VIN was NOT part of the recall. That sucks! Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

2. And this is the kicker... unfortunately I live on an island in Hawaii and we only have ONE dealer!!!!!

Man, things just seem to get worse and worse!!!!!!!!
...Don't take the dealer's word for it. Look on nissandriven.com, go to the pull down tabs at the top of the page, and look for 'recall information' then select the 2002 Maxima. Look for your own VIN number. The dealers have gotten VINs wrong sometimes, and your 'symptoms' are classic examples of the control arms problems. Make sure and make this guy do it if your VIN is included.