5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Repaired salvage good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:34 AM

2k2 Repaired salvage good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...73737&r=0&rd=1

Loaded 2k2 SE w/ a lil over 3k miles... what do u think? Is saving $8-10k worth having a salvage title?
Old 07-21-2002, 10:17 AM

Just my own personal opinion, but I wouldn't trust a car with a salvage title as far as I could throw it.

I bought my 2k2 SE for $21,500 (special invoice sale, plus $1k nissan cash back plus dealer holdback). The only options I have are mud flaps and floor mats. I'm am eagerly waiting for a group deal from leatherseats.com to finish so I can get a better interior. Prices are probably even better now.

However, I must admit that there is a chance that car is totally fine and someone will walk off with it at an incredible price. In fact everything sounds very legitimate, but you never know. You won't get much for it when you trade it in, and I'd be willing to bet a dealer wouldn't even touch it.

Also, I'm fairly certain the car now has no warranty. I wouldn't imagine that it still would.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:25 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hmmm

one of the first things that happens to a stolen car is the joyride... (if kids stole it) That means this poor car probably spent a short time and rev limiter and plenty of neutral drops. You may not be able to see that damage right now, but a year from now.... $$$$
Old 07-21-2002, 10:53 AM

The thing about salvage title, is you may never know what actually happened to the car. If it was caught in a flood or drove into a lake, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, no matter how much money you pour into it. Just my 2¢
Old 07-21-2002, 10:57 AM

that car has been in a wreck, check out the front bumper on the large pic, the space between the headlamp and bumper is pretty big. and where the hood and bumper meed also. when i had my 2k max repaired after being hit from the front, that is what it looked like.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:11 PM

See if the owner has the "Before" picture. If they couldn't read the mileage, and the dash was ripped apart..that is a pretty big deal!
Old 07-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k2 Repaired salvage good deal?

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...73737&r=0&rd=1

Loaded 2k2 SE w/ a lil over 3k miles... what do u think? Is saving $8-10k worth having a salvage title?
I have bought about salvage cars and they have all worked out great. There is one issue though. I have bought the cars damaged and fixed them with friends of mine. I would not buy a fixed salvage car unless it was from a close friend, OR I had pictures of it before and then reciepts showing what they did. It is already a risk buying it crashed or damaged, but at least you know what is wrong with the car when you buy it crashed. No suprises...

Oh yeah, and the only warranty you have is emissions.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
that car has been in a wreck, check out the front bumper on the large pic, the space between the headlamp and bumper is pretty big. and where the hood and bumper meed also. when i had my 2k max repaired after being hit from the front, that is what it looked like.
In the same picture you can also notice where the hood meets the grill there is a large gap. It looks like the whole front bumper must be sagging.

The only way I would even think about buying this car is if it were local and I could thouroghly look over it myself and take it to a mechanic to get it checked out as well. It is a heck of a price if it truly is just a little cosmetic damage though.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:56 PM

No GLE

That is an SE. Those wheels, are the 6 spoke SE pattern, not the 7 spoke GLE ones that should. The gap with the front bumper and hood looks to be legit, like the new ones.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k2 Repaired salvage good deal?

Just by looking at the pictures, somethings go off in my mind that would make me not want to buy it. And remember this is just by the pictures, things could be different once you see it in person.

1. In the first two pictures, the passenger headlight seems to be resting on the bumper (closest to the grill) where as the driver side light SEEMS to have a larger gap. And the gap between the hood and the grill part seems to be smaller on the passenger side compared to the driver.

2. In picture #5 (rear shot) there seems to be a larger gap between the passenger tail light where it meets the bumper. The driver side looks smaller.

3. In shots 11 & 12 (inside shots) If you notice, the passenger airbag seems to be lifted up more on one side than on the other. I have a 2000 and it does not lift up that much, and I dont think it warped that much because of the sun.

4. Shot 13 (speedo) It seems to me that it is too hazy. Usually this happens when a windshield is cracked and water gets in the car (rain). Or when it is an older car but not on a brand new one.

5. Shot 22 (Inside trunk) If you notice underneath the trunk locking mechanism, and not on the bumper but behind it, there seems to be too many scratches in that area. Maybe it was hit from behind and then hit a car in front?

Shot 23 (Spare tire) I think the well is way tooo dirty for being a new car, and the spare is pretty messed up for being new. Maybe the car was missing the trunk lid? Exposed? rain? Too dirty?

I know on some of these I am kind of reaching to find something, but you have to. If you don't look for stuff that you would never think of, then you get screwed. I had a friend show me an SUV that he had bought. He was having some probmlem wih the stereo and wanted to see if I could fix it. 3 minutes in the car and I told him it was salvage. He asked me if I was sure and I said yes. He took it to the dealershiip body shop, they found 3 different VIN numbers on different parts of the car.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:28 PM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by mother
The thing about salvage title, is you may never know what actually happened to the car. If it was caught in a flood or drove into a lake, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, no matter how much money you pour into it. Just my 2¢
Have to agree with that: a friend bought a flooded Accorded on a salvage title deal. The car never worked right: the worst problems were electrical: he was lucky if the radio and lights would work and he never had the windows and door locks to work.

He got rid of it within three months.

BuddyWh

Old 07-21-2002, 07:26 PM

You know there aren't too many closeups of the side that was fixed or the center of the dash where they claim the damage was.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

unless you know exactly what happened to the car see it in person and dont mind dealing with trying to sell a salvaged car in the future... go for it.. dealing with salvaged cars is shady but if you know whatsup you can find a good car for cheap!! its at 15 now... too expensive hehe
Old 07-22-2002, 05:29 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I think the only way i would buy a salvage car is if I saw the car in it's damaged state and knew what was wrong with it. You also have to be prepared to deal with unexpected problems. I wouldn't personally pay more than 50% of the book value for a salvaged car. They are not worth much to most people.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:56 AM

I considered buying a salvage car earlier in the year, but was told that most lenders will not provide a loan on a salvage car. That may not be a big deal for you, but makes it extra tough to sell it later if you want to dump it. Food for thought...
Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 AM

i wasnt actually interested in buying it, obviously I already have a 2k2, just trying to get some feedback. you guys made some good points