5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 07:35 AM

For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

This may have been posted before, but looks like this company might be able to help to get TV and DVD on the stock Navi unit.

http://www.nav-tv.com/products.htm
Old 07-22-2002, 09:10 AM

Seems like they're only producing units for European cars though.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:11 AM

Just like on the Acura's this looks like a majorly technical Mod.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:14 AM

Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Originally posted by JMax2K
This may have been posted before, but looks like this company might be able to help to get TV and DVD on the stock Navi unit.

http://www.nav-tv.com/products.htm
its bout time, that navi is useless without DVD.
ANyone know who makes a DOUBLE DIN HU w/LCD DISPLAY that PLAYS DVDs and MP3s?
Roger
Old 07-22-2002, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Originally posted by radpp16

Roger
Dam anyone got any figures(price) and if its even possible to retrofiting the 2k2 NAVI on a 2k max.
I would get the 2k2 system, find a DVD receiver that plays mp3s.
I like the whole in-dash look. I'm not really into the whole flip-out trend.
Roger
Old 07-22-2002, 11:26 AM
lcf

Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Dam anyone got any figures(price) and if its even possible to retrofiting the 2k2 NAVI on a 2k max.
I would get the 2k2 system, find a DVD receiver that plays mp3s.
I like the whole in-dash look. I'm not really into the whole flip-out trend.
Roger
ask DAVEB. im thinking it'll be pretty expensive though!

i agree with you, i prefer the in-dash to the flipout stuff. but id rather find an aftermarket one that i can fit in there with the trim of the 2k2 navi.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:57 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

kloogy is going to bring in his 2K2 Max w/navi into my store soon so my installers can modify his in dash video screen. Basically if the Nav system is ran via a data cable and not fiber optics (Mercedes,etc.) you can run a seperate DVD player into the monitor. Once this happens I will post pics and wiring diagrams.

Dave
Old 07-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Roger
It would seem to me an additional problem is that the Climate control is integrated in.
Dump out the whole Navi unit, there goes the Climate Control.

Shaydz
Old 07-22-2002, 07:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by Shaydz

It would seem to me an additional problem is that the Climate control is integrated in.
Dump out the whole Navi unit, there goes the Climate Control.

Shaydz
That is true... Its not just a Navi, Its climate controls, and a single CD player...
Old 07-22-2002, 08:31 PM

Roger
The navi is useless without DVD??? Do you even have navi in your car? What makes you so sure that it is useless...because you can't drive and watch movies at the same time?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by ScottG61376

The navi is useless without DVD??? Do you even have navi in your car? What makes you so sure that it is useless...because you can't drive and watch movies at the same time?
I agree. That is not a smart remark.
I can search for points of interest in any area.
I can do a restaurant search, by type of food, and by the name of restaurant
I can locate ATM's.
I can locate Gas Stations, and Nissan Service Centers.
I can get voice guided directions, or silent ones.
I have a visual climate contol, on screen system.

Those are only the features I have used.. There are many more... If you dont have it, dont make a comment like that. Its not just some stupid map of your house with an arrow . For those of us who travel , it's a great asset. I made sure the Maxima had it, if not I would've bought the TL-S .
Old 07-23-2002, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Oh stop, stop deluging me with your politically correct rhetoric. I just meant it would of been nice to have DVD along with NAVI.
Roger
Old 07-23-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Originally posted by kloogy

I agree. That is not a smart remark.
I can search for points of interest in any area.
I can do a restaurant search, by type of food, and by the name of restaurant
I can locate ATM's.
I can locate Gas Stations, and Nissan Service Centers.
I can get voice guided directions, or silent ones.
I have a visual climate contol, on screen system.

Those are only the features I have used.. There are many more... If you dont have it, dont make a comment like that. Its not just some stupid map of your house with an arrow . For those of us who travel , it's a great asset. I made sure the Maxima had it, if not I would've bought the TL-S .

So lets imagine that you live in Las Vegas like 2 million people do. You have your $30K Maxima with Navigation and you decide to take a trip to Zion National Park in Southern Utah a mere 3 hours away. You've never been there, you just know that it is close. You get in your car and can't find a National Park that hasn't moved in the last 20 years or so. Why is that? Because Nissan gives you a CD based system not a DVD based system. So when you need to actually travel like you mention, you have to travel to the Nissan dealership to purchase another CD because the actual manufacturer of the factory Navigation system thought that the Western CD only needed to cover CA & NV without other states in close proximity like AZ & UT.

Now I know you were referring to previous comments that the Navigation system was useless without the ability to play DVD images, I just thought that people should be aware of how limited this system without using DVD software.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Originally posted by xtantmaxima

Now I know you were referring to previous comments that the Navigation system was useless without the ability to play DVD images, I just thought that people should be aware of how limited this system without using DVD software.
Some of the new Infiniti's will be DVD based. It says on Nissannews.com that the G35 coupe, and the M45, and some others will be DVD based. Maybe they will make all Nissan and Infinity navi units DVD after 2003. Seems like it would be cheaper to keep them all the same.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Originally posted by JMax2K

Some of the new Infiniti's will be DVD based. It says on Nissannews.com that the G35 coupe, and the M45, and some others will be DVD based. Maybe they will make all Nissan and Infinity navi units DVD after 2003. Seems like it would be cheaper to keep them all the same.
All navigation systems are going to DVD, just sucks when you get one of the older models. Like you said by 2K3 you probably won't see another CD based nav system anywhere.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:38 PM

For most practical purposes, the CS system works fine. DVD doesn't increase functionality, it simply expands the coverage area. I can go 10 hours north and 7 hours east (south is mexico and west is the ocean) without having to change discs. Even then I have the next coverage area disc sitting in my glovebox that I can switch in 2 seconds.

An expample of the convenience: Last week I had to call in a percription refill to my local pharmacy. Not only did my Navi have the address of Savon Drugstore, but the phone number!!

The other week I searched for all nearby Chinese restaurants!

Having movies play in the dash would be for the viewing pleasure of my passengers (which I hardly have) If you think you can watch movies and drive at the same time then you're asking for it!
Old 07-23-2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
For most practical purposes, the CS system works fine. DVD doesn't increase functionality, it simply expands the coverage area. I can go 10 hours north and 7 hours east (south is mexico and west is the ocean) without having to change discs. Even then I have the next coverage area disc sitting in my glovebox that I can switch in 2 seconds.

An expample of the convenience: Last week I had to call in a percription refill to my local pharmacy. Not only did my Navi have the address of Savon Drugstore, but the phone number!!

The other week I searched for all nearby Chinese restaurants!

Having movies play in the dash would be for the viewing pleasure of my passengers (which I hardly have) If you think you can watch movies and drive at the same time then you're asking for it!
True, DVD only adds coverage. Not sure if the E coast is like the W coast, but new roads are added every day. So when you have to buy new maps would you rather buy one disc for $125 or two discs for $250 (keep the same Nissan prices for CD and DVD).

As far as watching movies while driving, I've been doing it for 4 years, I think I'll be fine. It makes traveling SO much nicer, try it. If you want a demo I'll be cruising back to Indiana the 21st.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:56 PM

I don't want this to sound like I am flaming on those who watch movies while you're driving, but you wouldn't want your kids crossing the street while when there are drivers on the road doing this.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:18 PM

I don't want this to sound like I am flaming on those who watch movies while you're driving, but you wouldn't want your kids crossing the street while when there are drivers on the road doing this.
Nope. I don't really watch the movie, merely catch glimpses out of the corner of my eye. Also, I only watch (re:above) movies that I've seen before so I'm familiar with them. That, and it's only on the freeway. If anyone has driven I-70 you know that you could take your hands off the wheel for 30 miles and still be on the road.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

So lets imagine that you live in Las Vegas like 2 million people do. You have your $30K Maxima with Navigation and you decide to take a trip to Zion National Park in Southern Utah a mere 3 hours away. You've never been there, you just know that it is close. You get in your car and can't find a National Park that hasn't moved in the last 20 years or so. Why is that? Because Nissan gives you a CD based system not a DVD based system. So when you need to actually travel like you mention, you have to travel to the Nissan dealership to purchase another CD because the actual manufacturer of the factory Navigation system thought that the Western CD only needed to cover CA & NV without other states in close proximity like AZ & UT.

Of Course, that is if you know people, say that you met through a website forum, that live in the different regions, that you can somehow obtain copies off all of the different regions for mere, postage and blank CD Cost. The CD system is not that bad!

Scott
Old 07-23-2002, 04:51 PM

Kind of off topic, but I was just wondering if the Nissan Navigation system is a touch-screen like it is on my TL-S?

Also, even with a DVD based naviagation system (like the TL-S), you cannot play DVD movies without a special video modulator that you have to buy.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those trying to get DVD on stock Navigation

Of Course, that is if you know people, say that you met through a website forum, that live in the different regions, that you can somehow obtain copies off all of the different regions for mere, postage and blank CD Cost. The CD system is not that bad!

Scott
LOL!
Old 07-23-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by ColgateU
Kind of off topic, but I was just wondering if the Nissan Navigation system is a touch-screen like it is on my TL-S?

Also, even with a DVD based naviagation system (like the TL-S), you cannot play DVD movies without a special video modulator that you have to buy.
Just like the Acura it is touch screen or you can use the joystick. The Nissan also has the optional "birds eye" view giving a 3d look to the map.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:35 PM

I have also heard that the DVD-based systems don't have the same amount of detailed info that the CDs systems have. If you take all the memory of each of the 9 CDs and add them up they come out to: 5.85 GB, the DVD navi disc is less than 4 GB of info for the entire country.

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 12:32 AM

I have also heard that the DVD-based systems don't have the same amount of detailed info that the CDs systems have. If you take all the memory of each of the 9 CDs and add them up they come out to: 5.85 GB, the DVD navi disc is less than 4 GB of info for the entire country.

Scott
Standard DVD is 4.7GB. Whether or not they use all those GB is unclear, but the same thing can be said of the CD's. Do they use all 700MB? As far as detail goes, my dad's ES300 which uses Kenwood's DVD system (for those interested) it displays phone numbers, address, etc. for Points of Interest just like the Nissan CD system does as mentioned in a previous reply.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:37 AM

Standard DVD is 4.7GB. Whether or not they use all those GB is unclear, but the same thing can be said of the CD's. Do they use all 700MB? As far as detail goes, my dad's ES300 which uses Kenwood's DVD system (for those interested) it displays phone numbers, address, etc. for Points of Interest just like the Nissan CD system does as mentioned in a previous reply.
I have all 9 CDs of the US, and they are all on 650MB disc, and they do use up nearly all of the space on the disc. I think the only true plus that the DVD system has, is that you have everything on 1 DVD instead of 9 CD, for me, not that big of a deal.

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 11:47 AM

Talked to Nav-TV

They have done Maximas.
They do not have a do-it- yourself kit yet for the Max (maybe 6 mos).
They do have installers all over the US.

But ..
If you want to have the Nav screen set up to use for movies with DVD player installed - $1400

If you want it set up with audio / video cables ready for input of any type (TV tuner / DVD / PS2, etc.) - $900

Pretty damn steep.

If they come out with a kit in 6 months - it should run about $450

Just a little due diligence...

Shaydz
Old 07-24-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Talked to Nav-TV

Originally posted by Shaydz
They have done Maximas.
If you want to have the Nav screen set up to use for movies with DVD player installed - $1400
Shaydz
$1400 w/ DVD player is not bad at all. Look into how much an overhead console costs installed w/ DVD from Audiovox and that doesn't look nearly as pretty as a factory installed Nav screen.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:53 PM

What exactly does this kit include? RIght now I have a 7" lcd hooked up to a pc in a custom plexi case i built in my current car, and I'd just want to interface the stock navi screen with my pc, instead of me tryhignt to fit my 7" lcd into a regular double din bose spot on the non navi 2k2 max's. It would seem as though you can have a switch to turn on and off the external aux source , so that when you want to use the stock navi or do your climate controls you just hit hta button, it switches back to the stock source, then you switch back to your AUX source.

Anyway, MaximaDave keep us posted holmes. This unforunately is one of the things that is keeping me from buying a 2k2 max :/ Sounds stupid I'm sure, but I have allt hese plans for the 2k2 if i can use the stock navi screen

-replicant
Old 07-26-2002, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by replicant
What exactly does this kit include? RIght now I have a 7" lcd hooked up to a pc in a custom plexi case i built in my current car, and I'd just want to interface the stock navi screen with my pc, instead of me tryhignt to fit my 7" lcd into a regular double din bose spot on the non navi 2k2 max's. It would seem as though you can have a switch to turn on and off the external aux source , so that when you want to use the stock navi or do your climate controls you just hit hta button, it switches back to the stock source, then you switch back to your AUX source.

Anyway, MaximaDave keep us posted holmes. This unforunately is one of the things that is keeping me from buying a 2k2 max :/ Sounds stupid I'm sure, but I have allt hese plans for the 2k2 if i can use the stock navi screen

-replicant
There is no kit- yet. Read the post. But they said maybe in 6 mos or so (the more calls they get and see a market the faster they'll put one out IMO). There were 3 main pieces - I know an RGB converter, and not sure what else. Just call them and ask.
I was trying to get a timeframe and a price - not a lot of detail.

Hope it comes in fast (hate that it's holding you back from buying the 2K2 Max )

Shaydz