5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:07 AM

Please Help!

I know many of you have issues w/ the Nissan Paint, but I have a pretty big problem on my hands. The paint on my bumpers (both front and rear) is flaking off. This is beyond chips; I can literally just rub the paint right off after it chips. This is only on the bumper, not on the body of the car, though I do have chips which I can prob. do nothing about.

I ordered the Paint Sealant/Protection when I purchased the car back in 8/99. The car has about 46K miles. Any chance I can get the dealer to repaint the bumpers under this package? I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:12 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I have a 6/99

and while my bumper paint (sterling mist) is solid... the clear can be scraped off with your fingernail on my rear arches. I'm under 3yr/36K, so they covered it.. now I just need to go in and have it done (avoiding).
Old 07-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Ya know, with the uncertain quality of nissan paint, and the many paint chips everyone's been talking about, I say we should all just strip the paint right off our cars, go with the "primer" look, and maybe clearcoat that instead!
Sure, it'll be a pain in the a$$ looking for your car in the parking lot, along with 3 other maxes, but hey, no more paint chips!

I mean, think about when Henry Ford created the model T Line? He basically said "you can have any color you'd like, as long as it was in black!"
Old 07-22-2002, 10:09 AM

I'd call 800-Nissan -1 on this issue!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
I'd call 800-Nissan -1 on this issue!
Hmmmm...have they actually helped anyone?! Does anyone have this sealant package? If so, what's covered? I would hope that paint is covered past the 36k/3yr policy. Otherwise, I guess i'm screwed.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by MaxinMD

Hmmmm...have they actually helped anyone?! Does anyone have this sealant package? If so, what's covered? I would hope that paint is covered past the 36k/3yr policy. Otherwise, I guess i'm screwed.
The sealant package is not Nissan sponsored. This is one of the areas that dealers can make $ off of you. Paint sealant is a fancy way of saying wax so you can charge someone $99-$500 to do it for them. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it or refund the money for the sealant.