5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much force to use to remove the cover around the AT shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 01:10 PM
nm

How much force to use to remove the cover around the AT shifter?

I've been trying to remove the cover around the AT shifter to get to the stereo and I'm having some trouble with it.

According to the service manual you have to remove the ashtray bolt,
and then use a screwdriver to pry up the cover until the clips disengage. When I do it it feels like I'm about to break off a piece of the cover so now I'm afraid to continue because I don't want to break the cover since I don't know how much effort I'm suppose to put into removing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: How much force to use to remove the cover around the AT shifter?

Originally posted by nm
I've been trying to remove the cover around the AT shifter to get to the stereo and I'm having some trouble with it.

According to the service manual you have to remove the ashtray bolt,
and then use a screwdriver to pry up the cover until the clips disengage. When I do it it feels like I'm about to break off a piece of the cover so now I'm afraid to continue because I don't want to break the cover since I don't know how much effort I'm suppose to put into removing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

wrap a handtowel around a flat head screwdriver and pry up the edges around the shifter as well as the edges for the ashtray

removing the trim requires subtle force...be gentle and go slow

it would require a lot of force to crack the plastic because it is very thick...but still be careful and go slowly...and if you do break it......it is a cheap piece to replace!!!

nette
Old 07-24-2002, 01:59 PM

Start at the most rear section closest to the armrest. It lifts up and out in that manner. I have a tool that looks like a dentist's pick that I use. Place in the crack turn 90 degrees and lift up. It comes up pretty easily. The screwdriver works the same, just make sure you use the cloth so you don't scratch up the interior. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:15 AM
nm

thanks for the info everyone, I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Start at the most rear section closest to the armrest. It lifts up and out in that manner. I have a tool that looks like a dentist's pick that I use. Place in the crack turn 90 degrees and lift up. It comes up pretty easily. The screwdriver works the same, just make sure you use the cloth so you don't scratch up the interior. Good luck.