5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Maxima Auto SE Vs. 1997 Mustang Auto GT REVISED

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 03:26 PM

2K2 Maxima Auto SE Vs. 1997 Mustang Auto GT REVISED

Everyone, I am EXTREMELY SORRY but I was mistaken with my previous post. My friend has a 1997 Automatic Mustang GT V8. Not the 1999 that I originally thought. He said his car does 0-60 in 6.5 sec and my car can only do it in 6.9 sec. He SWARES he will rip me a new on if we raced. Please let me know if I can beat him. I don't want to lose to this guy if I can help it. Once again, i'm sorry that I told everyone it was a 1999 originally. At least now I know I can beat a 1999 now. But please tell me if I can beat a 1997 Mustang Auto GT V8 with my 2002 Maxima Auto SE. Thnaks so much.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

My 99 5spd Max will beat that car. Your 2k2 auto is a couple ticks faster than me so I wouldn't think you'd have much of a problem beating him. BTW, 6.5s to 60 is probably for the MANUAL Stang. The auto will be much slower. He'll probably pull on you off the line with all of that torque, but once you're rolling you should be able to pull on him pretty good.

Smoke him!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: 2K2 Maxima Auto SE Vs. 1997 Mustang Auto GT REVISED

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pmas76
Everyone, I am EXTREMELY SORRY but I was mistaken with my previous post. My friend has a 1997 Automatic Mustang GT V8. Not the 1999 that I originally thought. He said his car does 0-60 in 6.5 sec and my car can only do it in 6.9 sec. He SWARES he will rip me a new on if we raced. Please let me know if I can beat him. I don't want to lose to this guy if I can help it. Once again, i'm sorry that I told everyone it was a 1999 originally. At least now I know I can beat a 1999 now. But please tell me if I can beat a 1997 Mustang Auto GT V8 with my 2002 Maxima Auto SE. Thnaks so much. [/QUOTE

I believe the 99's are faster than the 97's
Old 07-26-2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by pmas76
But please tell me if I can beat a 1997 Mustang Auto GT V8 with my 2002 Maxima Auto SE.
The 96-98 Mustangs are the slowest Mustangs built since the mid-70s "Mustang II". The 4.6L when it first came out has no low end. I have beaten auto 5.0s (much faster) with my 2k 5spd GXE, no mods (should be similar to your 2k2 Auto.)

Brian
Old 07-26-2002, 04:00 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pmas76
Everyone, I am EXTREMELY SORRY but I was mistaken with my previous post. My friend has a 1997 Automatic Mustang GT V8. Not the 1999 that I originally thought. He said his car does 0-60 in 6.5 sec and my car can only do it in 6.9 sec. He SWARES he will rip me a new on if we raced. Please let me know if I can beat him. I don't want to lose to this guy if I can help it. Once again, i'm sorry that I told everyone it was a 1999 originally. At least now I know I can beat a 1999 now. But please tell me if I can beat a 1997 Mustang Auto GT V8 with my 2002 Maxima Auto SE. Thnaks so much.
Bet him lunch. You will not regret it
Old 07-26-2002, 04:11 PM

yup

the96-98, the generation before the new body style; those are slow, no low end, the v6ones had about 160hp i think. and the v8's top out at a bit over 200. is he is auto too you will have no problem taking him, just race him. don't be afraid, if you lose (which i doubt, unless you go easy on the gas ) then you will get into modding your car. have fun.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I saw a stock 97 4.6 5 speed run 14.5 at the track. His auto will be slower depending on his gearing. You should be able to take him if you get a good hole shot.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:42 PM

Bottomline: Launch it right then you'll hand him his @$$.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:05 PM

"At least now I know I can beat a 1999 now."

I am confused. The 1999 GT is MUCH faster than the 1997. If somebody told you you could beat a '99, they were misleading you. Not much of doing that with any stock, automatic Maxima. Get a six-speed, however, and the race will be on.

Rob
Old 07-26-2002, 05:09 PM

please dont flame me...

Originally posted by F23A4
Bottomline: Launch it right then you'll hand him his @$$.
umm please dont flame me... but maybe it was a bad driver (my cousin) but i have beat her 98 Mustang GT AUTO first time when she had just gotten it (she bought it used 7 months ago) only 14500 miles on it. She thought she wasnt good at driving it so she told me to race her about two months ago again I did and I beat her again. Now I dont know how fast those cars really are but I have a 2001 GLE and there are absolutely no modifications done to mine or hers.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:26 PM

Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by GhettoMAX
Now I dont know how fast those cars really are but I have a 2001 GLE and there are absolutely no modifications done to mine or hers.
You: 3.0L 222HP V6
Her: 4.6L 225HP V8

She has 1.6L of additional engine displacement and 2 more cylinders, yet only 3 additional HP. Ah, one of FoMoCo's finest!

She should have taken you off the line because she still has a lot more torque (290 lb-ft vs 217 lb-ft), but once you're rolling all that low-end torque doesn't matter anymore. I'm not surprised you beat her. Plus, I've read that those engines have had a good number of problems so maybe it wasn't running quite right.

Accord V6's with a couple of simple mods have been known to take out 96-98 GT auto's, so I'm not surprised that you were able to do so in your stock Max auto.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:28 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by GhettoMAX

umm please dont flame me... but maybe it was a bad driver (my cousin) but i have beat her 98 Mustang GT AUTO first time when she had just gotten it (she bought it used 7 months ago) only 14500 miles on it. She thought she wasnt good at driving it so she told me to race her about two months ago again I did and I beat her again. Now I dont know how fast those cars really are but I have a 2001 GLE and there are absolutely no modifications done to mine or hers.
That is not surprising...that 98 GT has 215HP I believe, with massive torque (Like 270+). However, it is a boat and probubly loses more HP then you throughout the drivetrain. Although your Max is pretty hefty the Mustangs are heftier.

I know the '95 5.0's (new body style) are good for mid-high 7's 0-60 in auto form and I know the 4.6L's arent any slower. I'd say her stang and your Max are just about equal...she should of beaten you off the line but you should be able to hang and pull on her if you manual shifted.

In stock form, the '95-98 GT's are very similer to 95-2001 Maxima's 0-60 and 1/4th wise, given the same transmission. The only problem with us is our engines are already tuned to get maximum performance and we have FWD. The stangs have ALOT to improve on and have RWD to work with. They can be made very fast for cheap. But in stock form they are nothing to fear.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:33 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by SteVTEC
You: 3.0L 222HP V6
Her: 4.6L 225HP V8

She has 1.6L of additional engine displacement and 2 more cylinders, yet only 3 additional HP. Ah, one of FoMoCo's finest!

Steve..the very thing you are making fun of is the very thing that gives the stangs great benifits over us. Bigger engines usually get more power out of bolt-ons..the domestic big blocks definatally benifit alot more then us when it comes to that.

So why you laugh at the sh!tty ford engineering, remember, all it takes is some gears and headers and you got a neck snapping import eater.

And remember while she only has 3 more HP she has like 70lb.-ft more torque...who doesn't love torque? Except the high revving honDUH's of course
Old 07-26-2002, 05:47 PM

I got one of those sorry 98 GT's for you, 13.67@99 on motor, 12.08@113 on bottle. It really does have no top end though, huffin and puffin after 5500 rpm's
Old 07-26-2002, 06:02 PM

hmm interesting and btw it wasnt from a stop we were rolling everytime we raced on those two ocassions. Anyways thanks for all the info and for not flaming heheh...

On another note, another one of my cousins just got a 2k2 SE (autotragic) Nice car but the fool doesnt know the potential he keeps admiring her mustang and how he will soon get a fast car like mustang?
Old 07-26-2002, 06:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Steve..the very thing you are making fun of is the very thing that gives the stangs great benifits over us. Bigger engines usually get more power out of bolt-ons..the domestic big blocks definatally benifit alot more then us when it comes to that.

So why you laugh at the sh!tty ford engineering, remember, all it takes is some gears and headers and you got a neck snapping import eater.
Some people aren't in to modding (very much).
Some people would rather just have good performance right out of the box.
To those people, 200-225HP from a 4.6L V8 is pathetic.

Although the torque is nice, that doesn't help you on the highway very much
Old 07-26-2002, 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

I ran a new body style Mustang GT in my 2000 SE 5-speed and I was on his rear bumper all the way.

Couple months ago I ran this older style Mustang GT 5.0 I think, and beat him pretty bad.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:26 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I just raced an 89 Mustang with the Dugan kit ... ( mustang guys knwo what it is ).. he was loud as my 89 was.. I spanked the sh$$it out of him . I hit 100 and he was 2 cars behind. You will destroy that car if its stock.. If it's modded...BEWARE. Modded Stangs can run 12's on all motor, ask me and MR Short Bus... !
Old 07-26-2002, 10:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by Craig Mack

What's laudible is Ford's reputation. Not exactly known for reliability.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:57 PM

What's laudible is Ford's reputation. Not exactly known for reliability.

Whatever...... Like you know anything about that except what your ricer friends tell you. My Stang has only had 1 recall for the e-brake as opposed to the gazillion recalls the Maxima has out.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:09 AM

If that 97 is stock you will spank him as long as you get your launch right. Those auto 4.6's really suck the big one! Once the Mustang adds a gear, intake and exhuast it wakes up. MAF/TB/headers new ball game. Heads/cam package see ya. If the Maxima had as big a market as the Stang then it would be different. But this is reality so...choose your Mustang races carefully.

The Mustang has a better reputation as far as quality than Ford does as a company though. All the recalls they've had in the last decade would even be embarrassing to Kia.

Jesse
Old 07-27-2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
Whatever...... Like you know anything about that except what your ricer friends tell you. My Stang has only had 1 recall for the e-brake as opposed to the gazillion recalls the Maxima has out.
Reliability and safety recalls are two COMPLETELY different things

And there were actually *4* safety recalls on Mustangs in 1998. E-brake, fuel injection, throttle linkage and control, and power steering. Maximas of the same year had ONE safety recall for the alternator.

And the Maxima has consistently had much better than average reliability. You can't say that about the Mustang or other Ford products.

Sources: NHSTA Safety Recall Database, Consumer Reports Reliability Data, JD Power & Associates.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:25 AM

SteVTEC,

You have to give Ford a lot of credit. They jumped way out of the loop to develop a more efficient engine than the norm of a pushrod V-8. Chevy has stayed with the same old archaic pushrod V-8 that they have had for centuries. Now here we are today with a 4.6 DOHC Supercharged Cobra which is putting out 390hp and 390tq. BTW, the numbers are very understated. Some of the guys who are lucky enough to have them are putting them on the dyno and getting 360hp and 370tq at the tires.

Yes I know 96-98 stangs were slow from the factory, but don't run into one of these that has done the 99+ headswap!

Back to the original post, His 97 Auto GT(if stock) will not be able to keep up with your 02' Auto.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:04 AM

i really appreciate everyones posts regarding this thread. It feels good to know if I have a question about racing or ANYTHING for that matter I have thousands of maxima enthusists to back me. I will let everyone know what happens when the race is over. Wish me luck.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by 2000 SE
SteVTEC,

You have to give Ford a lot of credit. They jumped way out of the loop to develop a more efficient engine than the norm of a pushrod V-8.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, of all the Big 3 of Detroit, I give Ford the most respect.

You're right, they have been trying to modernize a lot of their engine/powertrain designs whether through internal efforts or through acquisitions (Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.)

But if you don't remember past mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them in the future.

Those are words I live by

Never again will I buy a car with a weak-azz low-end and an automatic tranny, so long as I can shift gears for myself!
Old 07-27-2002, 11:27 AM

How about the transmission failure in my grandfather's F150 that happened at 56K miles? How about the ignition key fires that caused a recall in my girlfriend's mom's old 2k Taurus? (that took 4 days)...

And how about Consumer Reports? Ever look and see how people have rated there Fords in comparison to Nissan? Ever look at the repair records?

Sub-average reliability ratings for nearly every model. Do your homework.

I'll admit for under $40k the '03 Cobra can't be beat...
Old 07-27-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by Dany

Couple months ago I ran this older style Mustang GT 5.0 I think, and beat him pretty bad.
Ditto for me last weekend. You know, it's really hard to run when you're laughing at the comedy in the rear view mirror.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:01 PM

What my "ricer" friends told me...

And one would think that Ford could get some incredible expertise and experience and technology from acquisitions and agreements between Land Rover, Volvo, and Jaguar.

Instead all I see from these manufacturers is the introduction of new low-priced average new models.

For example: the Jaguar X-type with it's whopping 2.5L 191HP engine... 0-60 in 7.9 seconds? My 2k Hyundai does that! It's not a real Jaguar it's a dressed up European Ford! Jaguar never before put their name on such average vehicles.

At least Volvo understood the S20 based off of a Ford was doomed to fail, and did not launch it...

And Land Rover? They were legendary. Until the Freelander was released. What kind of crap is this? This is not a true Land Rover, its your average go to the grocery store soccer mom SUV.

The only good thing to come of this is the aging Taurus is to be replaced by the "Ford 500", which is based off some jaguar technology. God I truly hope so, for their sake. Its a step in the right direction.

But I also think Ford has proven themselves with good automobiles in the past; namely Police edition Crown Vics, SVT anything, Cobras, Lightnings... So why can't they build all of their cars to such exacting precisions and tolerances? I would pay an extra $1000 for a Taurus if it was actually built like one of fore-mentioned Fords. Then it's quality would actually be on par with (dare I say surpass?) that of the imports. My city has Crown Vics from as long ago as '92 that still see regular duty. These are cars that are beat on, idle for incredibly lengthy times, and are generally under highly abusive situations.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:21 PM

As for this whole "give domestics respect" thing, I do give domestics respect, especially Ford.

Look at the 1990 Ford Taurus SHO! This sucker had 220 HP, dual exhaust, and it practically DEFINED the mid-sized sport sedan segment! It was amazing, although they weren't exactly quality and reliable cars. But they sure as hell did put the performance down to the ground.

As time went on the power remained the same but the weight increased. Then it was finally crippled with an underpowered V8, and an automatic-only tranny.

What happened, Ford?

Another of my Ford favorites was the SVT Contour. That was an awesome car too that was crippled with too many safety recalls and then Ford pulled the plug on that one too.

I also loved the old Probe GT. The styling and handling was awesome, and the performance was so good that it was actually seriously hurting pony car sales. So instead of improving the Mustang, they DROP the Probe and force people into Mustangs. Way to go Ford!

Of course, they finally did improve the performance of the Mustang, but I don't understand why they had to kill the Probe to do it. That was freaking stupid, and the Probe was also a VERY popular car.

Ford has had and CONTINUES to have some great ideas and neat cars, but they fail all too often in execution, and let politics get in the way.

But anyways, of the Big 3, Ford is definitely my favorite
Old 07-27-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: What my "ricer" friends told me...

Originally posted by soopermax02

But I also think Ford has proven themselves with good automobiles in the past; namely Police edition Crown Vics, My city has Crown Vics from as long ago as '92 that still see regular duty. These are cars that are beat on, idle for incredibly lengthy times, and are gernerally under highly abusive situations.
They're good, so long as nobody rearends you!!:
http://www.auto.com/industry/crown15_20020515.htm
Old 07-27-2002, 11:54 PM

uh

its not like the mustang costs that much, for the price of his maxima, he coulda got a fast mustang. i don't get it. plus the maxima is luxury and sport combined. he should just trade in his max for a mustang then.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:13 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

besides blowing up 2 auto trannies , due to my stupid VB mod, I never had a problem with it either. It was modded up the AR$$ ! Once I put in my Tremec T5, it was smooth sailing. I considered it a very reliable car. Some of you guys really need to not say anything, if you dont know what the F%$^K youre talking about. By the way I had this car over 10 years. If you take any 87-93 Mustang, and drop 5K in it wisely, you will run low 12's all day long. I had an awesome suspension setup too from Steeda, and Saleen. Yes it stuck in the twisties too,,,
Old 07-28-2002, 12:17 AM

Preach on Kloogy. My Stang has been the fastest, most reliable car I have ever owned. It even has the stock battery after 4 yeara, which is rare in AZ.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by F23A4

Ditto for me last weekend. You know, it's really hard to run when you're laughing at the comedy in the rear view mirror.
Hey your 1/4 time and mph isn't fast enough to find humor in Mustangs!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please dont flame me...

Originally posted by 2000 SE
Hey your 1/4 time and mph isn't fast enough to find humor in Mustangs!
Not all Mustangs hit 14's stock. Actually, many of them don't.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:12 PM

Well everyone, the day finally came that I raced my friend in his '97 Mustang GT. It was Thursday, August 1. We lined up at a light in Freeport, NY. It was a three lane highway with light traffic at aroung 11:30 pm. The light turned green and we both floored it. From about 0 to 35 we were neck and neck. If anything he might have had me by a bumper if that. Then as we accelerated to 40 and beyond my car slowly inched up and was now ahead by about three feet. The whole time this is happening I am thinking of the past three months and how he said he would wipe the floor with me. I have really never raced anyone before and was quite nervous of the thought of reaching such speeds as we we about to reach. Anyway, as I see the light ahead in the distance i looked down to see we were approaching 80 mph and i was still ahead by a good three feet on him. We finally got to the next light when we reached about 100 mph and i smelt victory. I only beat him by three feet but it was a victory in my book. So i guess you can say i offically popped my racing cherry and it felt damn good. I'm sure there will be many more to come in the future. Let me know what you all think of my experience. Take care all till next time.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Way to go! That had to be fun busting his bubble. Glad you are not a race virgin any longer. Be careful racing on the street though.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have raced many of my Mustang friends... have beat NONE of them, but then again, we are talking about 13 second cars.. the slow ones ! If your friend gives me his GT for 4 hours , and gives me 200 dollars in parts , I will toast you by at least 2 cars. The muscle of the 5 liter , is in the gear ratio, as any Stang guy knows.... This goes in BOLD letters for an auto GT ! I have raced a lot of Auto GT's and you should've beat him by more than that ! A 5 speed LX 89, which is my choice year, in my hands, would beat you by at least a car, STOCK ! This is of course if driven by a Mustang Guy who knows how to drive.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:54 AM

Re: yup

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
the96-98, the generation before the new body style; those are slow, no low end, the v6ones had about 160hp i think. and the v8's top out at a bit over 200. is he is auto too you will have no problem taking him, just race him. don't be afraid, if you lose (which i doubt, unless you go easy on the gas ) then you will get into modding your car. have fun.
One of the main problems with this car is that the automatics are way undergeared. They do have a lot of low rpm power but are geared so bad that it makes them slow off the line also. I would say his 0-60 should be low to mid 7's.

--Ray
Old 08-02-2002, 11:30 AM

TRUE

Originally posted by kloogy
I have raced many of my Mustang friends... have beat NONE of them, but then again, we are talking about 13 second cars.. the slow ones ! If your friend gives me his GT for 4 hours , and gives me 200 dollars in parts , I will toast you by at least 2 cars. The muscle of the 5 liter , is in the gear ratio, as any Stang guy knows.... This goes in BOLD letters for an auto GT ! I have raced a lot of Auto GT's and you should've beat him by more than that ! A 5 speed LX 89, which is my choice year, in my hands, would beat you by at least a car, STOCK ! This is of course if driven by a Mustang Guy who knows how to drive.
Also, the automatics in the Mustangs usually shift about 500 rpms too early.

--Ray

Quick Reply: 2K2 Maxima Auto SE Vs. 1997 Mustang Auto GT REVISED