5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Figured out a Weird problem with MAF and intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Figured out a Weird problem with MAF and intake

Well I got my Injen like 2 weeks ago but just got to put it on this weekend. Basically when I attempted to put it on 2 weeks ago after getting my old Hybrid intake/apexi off and put the injen on. Got all the hoses and everything. So I start that car up and it starts to idle really rough and the rpms just drop and then stalls. Keeps happening whenever I shut it down and start it back up. I know I got all my hoses/sensors everything back on. No air leaks either.. So it must be the MAF right? Well, I took my hunch and ordered a MAF for my 2K1. It was only $79 from DaveB I thought I was gonna be like $300+ but it turns out not to be cuz he said Nissan recognizes the problems with MAF and basically we getting it at their cost almost..

In the meantime I put back my Hybrid Cai/Apexi and all is good. Car starts smooth and usual. Weird right??? So I get the new MAF, pop it on along with the Injen and guess what... The Car starts smoother then even before So this whole time it looks like I was driving around with a half-dead MAF????

Hope that wasn't too long.....
Old 07-29-2002, 07:23 AM

possible dead maf

So let me re-state what you said to make sure I have it correct.

1) start with hybrid intake, car runs good
2) replace hybrid with injen, car runs bad
3) replace injen with hybrid, car runs good
4) replace hybrid with injen & replace maf, car runs good

Doesn't sound like the maf to me, the reason being is that it runs fine with your hybrid. It sounds more like something was done wrong in step #2 and was corrected in step #4. To be certain you would have to replace the maf and leave the injen intake but it's probably not worth the effort (maf's are probably not returnable). I wouldn't throw out the "bad" maf until I proved this to myself. Another item to consider is that the ECU apparently tunes itself to among other things the maf, so perhaps replacing the maf triggered the fix. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: possible dead maf

Originally posted by ajahearn
So let me re-state what you said to make sure I have it correct.

1) start with hybrid intake, car runs good
2) replace hybrid with injen, car runs bad
3) replace injen with hybrid, car runs good
4) replace hybrid with injen & replace maf, car runs good

Doesn't sound like the maf to me, the reason being is that it runs fine with your hybrid. It sounds more like something was done wrong in step #2 and was corrected in step #4. To be certain you would have to replace the maf and leave the injen intake but it's probably not worth the effort (maf's are probably not returnable). I wouldn't throw out the "bad" maf until I proved this to myself. Another item to consider is that the ECU apparently tunes itself to among other things the maf, so perhaps replacing the maf triggered the fix. Hope this helps.
Well when I had the PR Cai it would do the same. So I had nissan dealer re-program the ECU to adapt to my mods. Still didn't go. Back then with the PR Cai I got a SES light. When I went back to Hybrid it was ok.. Weird??