5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

why mod ,if no run???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 06:21 AM

why mod ,if no run???

i am sick of these people!!! you know the ones. the people who mod there car but won't step on the gas. let me explain:

last night i was driving back from getting my haircut and this mazda 626 passes as i turn onto the street. i get through traffic to get to him and we get to a light ,but we are both 2 cars back from the light. i pull up next to him and his car has rims and exhaust. mine, bone stock w/the ugly gxe rims. so we get through the light and pull onto 395 by the pentagon i pull upp next to him and look over ,he doesn't look back ,so i hit it and let off. nothing.... he just sits there. whats up with these people??? he's got mods and i'm stock slow and he won't even run. but check this-
i am almost to my exit and i pull up on this cavalier w/exhaust and rims. i look over at him and start but to my surprise he puts it down. of course i waxed him, but we didn't have much room ,too much traffic. but i gave him the thumbs up for running. thats cool. he knew he was outmatched but he did it anyways. now that straight up
i respect that , but i hate these over people who just pose!!!
kj
Old 07-30-2002, 06:29 AM

yeah I hate that.....

Often times I'll see a (modded) car in my rearview driving like a maniac through traffic and when he finally pulls alongside me he'll slow down. Then when we line up at a light I automatically assume that he wants to run but the light turns green and the guy is sitting there waiting for me.

Happens more than I'd like.....but I do have my share of kills ......and losses too of course.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maybe he doesn't want to waste the gas on you. Gas prices are high these days.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No offense my man, but I am moderately modified and you won't find me going from a red light. Maybe he just has the sense to keep it on the track. I'm not trying to lecture, you do what you want, but don't critcize people for keeping racing on the track.

I will add that I do get caught pushing ahead of a car or two on an on ramp or on the highway...but drag racing on local streets from redlights, just ain't my thing and I think I'm justified in modifying my car despite that.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
Gas prices are high these days.

that's for damn sure......
Old 07-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Very sound, Mike

Then of course there's the issue of respect. If he knows that your car is faster why race?

Take me for example, when i see an LS1 or the like. I won't even think about racing them whether on the road or track.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Then of course there's the issue of respect. If he knows that your car is faster why race?

Take me for example, when i see an LS1 or the like. I won't even think about racing them whether on the road or track.
I don't know, soundmike, I'd go against an LS1 on the track. Even though you know the inveitable result, it is still nice to see how close you came. Sort of like when Kev ran with that 911 Turbo for a bit on the highway...winning would have defied the laws of automobile racing, but running was probably a good rush.

I know what you're saying though.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Even though you know the inveitable result, it is still nice to see how close you came.
i feel the same way....which is why I raced
a Mustang Cobra (on the street) the other day and got
(surprise, surprise) DESTROYED! When I caught up to the guy at
a red light he turns towards me with this huge sh*teating grin on his face. I mouthed
the words, "nice car" he gave me thumbs up
and when the light turned green we drove off to our respective destinations...
Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 AM

No wonder why my and everone elses insurances rates are so dam HIGH.
]
Old 07-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Okay... maybe at the track. RUSH is good!
Old 07-30-2002, 08:28 AM

i hear ya

No offense my man, but I am moderately modified and you won't find me going from a red light. Maybe he just has the sense to keep it on the track. I'm not trying to lecture, you do what you want, but don't critcize people for keeping racing on the track.

I will add that I do get caught pushing ahead of a car or two on an on ramp or on the highway...but drag racing on local streets from redlights, just ain't my thing and I think I'm justified in modifying my car despite that.
point taken w/ no offense, but is was on the highway where i wanted a little run. not at the red light!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:17 AM

I said b/c u drive a Maxima. not too many people want to race a family sedan. put a "who's your daddy??" sticker on ur rear bumper if u want people to race u.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well considering racing on the street/freeway is ILLEGAL, that might be a deterant for some.

Your arguement really doesn't make sense. Why buy a car that goes over 80mph when the limit is 70mph maximum?? So 98% of the people who buy cars didn't buy the right car because they won't run at 100mph?

It's his car, he can really do whatever he wants(or not do whatever he wants).
Old 07-30-2002, 11:27 AM
is invisible

Bingo.

Not everyone is out there to race.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well considering racing on the street/freeway is ILLEGAL, that might be a deterant for some.

Your arguement really doesn't make sense. Why buy a car that goes over 80mph when the limit is 70mph maximum?? So 98% of the people who buy cars didn't buy the right car because they won't run at 100mph?

It's his car, he can really do whatever he wants(or not do whatever he wants).

Always trying to start an argument, eh Jeff?

You must be a lawyer!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

I create an enviroment of healthy debate

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Always trying to start an argument, eh Jeff?

You must be a lawyer!
Old 07-30-2002, 02:29 PM

WWIII underway

lets add this to the fire-

why put on an exhaust that sounds like a lawnmower on acid and add the soup can on the end of it if you don't want people trying to beat the **** out of your ricer want to be POS. if you want a loud sounding exhaust get some headers and some flowmaster duals and sound like a real man, otherwise stay quiet in the sleeper mode.

that should get the fire started

i'm sorry ,just so much built up hostility

kj
Old 07-30-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: WWIII underway

heh, I'm sure that's what all the Z06,Cobra,TT Supra,Buick GN, WS6 guys say about us.

Originally posted by kjpierce
lets add this to the fire-

why put on an exhaust that sounds like a lawnmower on acid and add the soup can on the end of it if you don't want people trying to beat the **** out of your ricer want to be POS. if you want a loud sounding exhaust get some headers and some flowmaster duals and sound like a real man, otherwise stay quiet in the sleeper mode.

that should get the fire started

i'm sorry ,just so much built up hostility

kj
Old 07-30-2002, 02:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you must be one of those people who's always in race mode.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:49 PM

Dispite the unknown fact that you have AE door sills and various other stuff I have no interest in racing you dispite you obvious advantage attributed your indiglo radio *****.

In my Max or Vette we will never know who is faster, unless you end up crashed somewhere else.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:52 PM

maybe some people dont want a ticket for drag racing....they're expensive nowadays
Old 07-30-2002, 03:07 PM

New deterrent in Florida--effective July 1st, racing is no longer a moving violation with an $80 fine. It's now a misdemeanor, which means you go to jail and pay a $500 fine!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob
New deterrent in Florida--effective July 1st, racing is no longer a moving violation with an $80 fine. It's now a misdemeanor, which means you go to jail and pay a $500 fine!
I think it's the same here in Cali...it's called Exhibition of Speed. Even the starters are going to jail!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:12 PM

waving the white flag..... i give already

Originally posted by see5
Dispite the unknown fact that you have AE door sills and various other stuff I have no interest in racing you dispite you obvious advantage attributed your indiglo radio *****.

In my Max or Vette we will never know who is faster, unless you end up crashed somewhere else.
if you were driving your max or vette on the highway and someone was next to you in a car with the tuna can exhaust and rims ,maybe nice looking car. tell me you wouldn't want to have a little fun. doesn't have to be a full blown race ,maybe just a little a couple of down shifts and thats it.
thats all i was looking for was just a little fun. i am not a racer at all. i can lose my job for getting a ticket like that. don't ask what my job is , cuz i can't tell ya.

i just put on a spoiler ,so your vette wouldn't stand a chance.j/k
Old 07-30-2002, 04:15 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

everyone thinks that auditioning for the next F&F
Old 07-30-2002, 05:18 PM

Re: waving the white flag..... i give already

if you were driving your max or vette on the highway and someone was next to you in a car with the tuna can exhaust and rims ,maybe nice looking car. tell me you wouldn't want to have a little fun. doesn't have to be a full blown race ,maybe just a little a couple of down shifts and thats it.
thats all i was looking for was just a little fun. i am not a racer at all. i can lose my job for getting a ticket like that. don't ask what my job is , cuz i can't tell ya.

i just put on a spoiler ,so your vette wouldn't stand a chance.j/k
Sorry, not to be arrogant but I am an old guy and have a long history of legal racing back to my Datsun 510 and would not race another Max or Vette on the street. Set up for next weekend at the track sure!
I run 12.1 in the Vette but do not want to provoke a bad event on the street.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: Re: waving the white flag..... i give already

Originally posted by see5

Sorry, not to be arrogant but I am an old guy and have a long history of legal racing back to my Datsun 510 and would not race another Max or Vette on the street. Set up for next weekend at the track sure!
I run 12.1 in the Vette but do not want to provoke a bad event on the street.
i respect that, by the way , how many cars do you have?????
must be nice to be able to choose which one to drive depending on how you feel that day. "hmmmm maybe i'll take the max, or better yet the vette, no i'll just take the.......... ok maybe its not so easy to choose.
i get to choose from a s-10, a Kawasaki Vulcan, and the Max. not too difficult of a choice, even when the wife takes the Max.

nice cars

kj
Old 07-30-2002, 07:40 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

<=== Always willing to race , no matter what.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:50 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by kloogy
<=== Always willing to race , no matter what.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:53 PM

Re: WWIII underway

if you want a loud sounding exhaust get some flowmaster duals and sound like a real man, otherwise stay quiet in the sleeper mode.
HELL yea! I second that!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: WWIII underway

heh, I'm sure that's what all the Z06,Cobra,TT Supra,Buick GN, WS6 guys say about us.

You are 100% right Jeffy!! Well, almost 100%...Supra's are 6cylinders and I probubly sound deeper then them.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:01 AM

What I f*ckin hate is the as*holes who buy the supercars and drive like they are 80 years old. Hi, my name is Jonathan Jones and I suffer from road rage and I am not trying to get treatment. The camaros, firebirds, mustangs, supras, bmws, corvettes, etc. have the ability but drive 10 mph under the speed limit, really set me off. I have to pass and cut in front of them just to make a point. They need to trade their car in for a gay Beetle or the ever popular Yugo. Then I will feel sorry for them (but still pass them and cut in front). The camaros and firebirds are designed for one thing: to go fast. Overall the car is a piece of crap and if it had any other engine than the 5.7, then no one would buy it.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Lumbee799
What I f*ckin hate is the as*holes who buy the supercars and drive like they are 80 years old. Hi, my name is Jonathan Jones and I suffer from road rage and I am not trying to get treatment. The camaros, firebirds, mustangs, supras, bmws, corvettes, etc. have the ability but drive 10 mph under the speed limit, really set me off. I have to pass and cut in front of them just to make a point. They need to trade their car in for a gay Beetle or the ever popular Yugo. Then I will feel sorry for them (but still pass them and cut in front). The camaros and firebirds are designed for one thing: to go fast. Overall the car is a piece of crap and if it had any other engine than the 5.7, then no one would buy it.
Whoa...calm down their Tonto. Didn't know you had it in you. I'd say not everybody looks at performance as their number one reason for a car purchase. Sometimes, somebody might buy a car for a number of other reasons and just happen to get a fast car in the process.

An example. My next door neighbor and I went car shopping recently. He is in the market for a mid-sized sedan or coupe. We drove the 330ci and, after the drive, all he wanted to know is how much for the Harmon-Kardon stereo option. Once finding out the difference between the 325ci and the 330ci were only the engine size...he immediately started pricing out the 325ci. I told him he was insane and the saleman wisely said, "Different strokes for different folks."

If somebody buys a Vette because 30 years ago, they made out with their first girlfriend in one, and want to re-live that...then they buy a Vette...not even thinking about the fact that it goes 0-60 in 4.x seconds...because it is not why they are buying the car.

Maybe you would be happier if they sold a Vette with a Geo Prism engine just for those who don't care about performance.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:22 AM

Jump straight to racist comments? I am 100% Lumbee Indian. Don't confuse me with the Lone Ranger's sidekick because I will cut you up. We don't scalp anymore.

Whoa...calm down their Tonto....
Old 08-01-2002, 11:26 AM
I'm needing a caw

Lumbee, when you drive your maxima, do you feel the urge to race every Geo metro that comes up to you? That's probably how all the Vette, Porsche, SupraTT, etc.. guys feel about us. Why waste the gas? If you really feel the need to run those guys, offer then $50, I'm sure they would take the bet.

BTW. It's THEIR car, they can do exactly what they want with it. (as long as they don't drive 20mph in the left lane )
Old 08-01-2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Lumbee799
What I hate is aholes like you who feel the need to get their aggression out on the road and endanger other people's lives needlessly. Who cares if they're driving slow? Just pass them and get over it, there's no need to start a road rage incident over something as trivial as that.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by alembicf1x

What I hate is aholes like you who feel the need to get their aggression out on the road and endanger other people's lives needlessly. Who cares if they're driving slow? Just pass them and get over it, there's no need to start a road rage incident over something as trivial as that.
The problem is more than 50% of the time the ***** is hoging the left lane SLOWING traffic down. Then I and most of the other traffic must make a DANGEROUS manuver(sp?) to pass the ******* on the right.

Who endangers others more? Who increases danger on the road?

Most of the time, I slow down to "politely" flash them while other traffic is just blowing by them in the right lane yet they STILL don't move over. Sometimes they are oblivious that other traffic exists and once I flash them they get pissed off and REFUSE to move over. Then as I give up and start to pass on the right, they speed up to attempt to block me.

These stupid *** heads need to understand that the LEFT lane is for FASTER traffic. By NOT obeying POSTED signs that the right lane is for SLOWER vehicles(above OR below the speed limit!!) they are putting MORE people at risk by their actions.

Now that's what pisses me off!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: ...

I think they do that to avoid rock chips(bug gaps in traffic). So you should not only pass but when you slide back in, go a little too far left and give them some pebble candy. :evil:

Originally posted by IceY2K1

The problem is more than 50% of the time the ***** is hoging the left lane SLOWING traffic down. Then I and most of the other traffic must make a DANGEROUS manuver(sp?) to pass the ******* on the right.

Who endangers others more? Who increases danger on the road?

Most of the time, I slow down to "politely" flash them while other traffic is just blowing by them in the right lane yet they STILL don't move over. Sometimes they are oblivious that other traffic exists and once I flash them they get pissed off and REFUSE to move over. Then as I give up and start to pass on the right, they speed up to attempt to block me.

These stupid *** heads need to understand that the LEFT lane is for FASTER traffic. By NOT obeying POSTED signs that the right lane is for SLOWER vehicles(above OR below the speed limit!!) they are putting MORE people at risk by their actions.

Now that's what pisses me off!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: ...

I think they do that to avoid rock chips(bug gaps in traffic). So you should not only pass but when you slide back in, go a little too far left and give them some pebble candy. :evil:

...but not a bad idea!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: ...

So that's why....

A little too far left is usually semi tire carcus or cactus so it's not worth it.

Quick Reply: why mod ,if no run???