5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Watch out for S60

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:09 PM

definitely not 0-60...i drove a t5 before...lag is horrible.

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo

I am sorry to burst your bubble but teh Maxima just ran at a superior car. I have the utmost respect for Maxima's V6 but it is no much, either from 0-60 or while at highway speeds, for an S60 T5. That car most likely was not modified because if it were he would be even further away. The T5 has a turbocharged engine that once spooled up (see: highway speeds) not too many cars (even with superior HP) can run with it. Nice try though!!!

Yannis

'01 Volvo T5 M SR, iPd ECU Motronic 7.0 upgrade, etc., etc. Enough to bury a Maxima!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A STOCK turbocharged engine is not considered MODIFIED. Do your modifications on the Maxima engine and then let's modify (to keep comparing apples to apples) the T5 engine and let's ee who comes up on top.

It was an intelligent try, based on facts. It is not my fault that the Maxima's engine is not turbocharged. And let's not be sore losers...if my T5 got smoked by a BMW M3, then I would gracefully admit it!

Yannis

'01 Volvo V70 T5 M, iPd ECU Motronic 7.0 upgrade, etc., etc....enough to bury a MAxima!
Yannis,

I used to be a regular contributor to the brickboard, and I can tell you that I'd rather drive a car with a smooth VQ than a comparitively course inline 5. I'd venture to say that my max would beat your V70 to 60 and run neck and neck with you in the 1/4 (even with your ECU upgrade). Got rid of my Volvo because I was sick of:
-crappy knock sensors
-gear position sensors failing
-leaking rear main seals
-replacing AC evaporators
-replacing engine mounts

Oh, if I remember correctly don't you sell Volvo's for a living? BTW, I'm unbiased as my family had owned bricks since the 60's and still have a couple.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Jaws

Oh, if I remember correctly don't you sell Volvo's for a living? BTW, I'm unbiased as my family had owned bricks since the 60's and still have a couple.
What is a brick? Another word for a Volvo?

If it's another word for Volvo, I'd have to agree... they have the styling of a brick.... They're Fugly.... even if they ARE faster than a Max.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:13 AM

Yannis,

I used to be a regular contributor to the brickboard, and I can tell you that I'd rather drive a car with a smooth VQ than a comparitively course inline 5. I'd venture to say that my max would beat your V70 to 60 and run neck and neck with you in the 1/4 (even with your ECU upgrade). Got rid of my Volvo because I was sick of:
-crappy knock sensors
-gear position sensors failing
-leaking rear main seals
-replacing AC evaporators
-replacing engine mounts
Well, you had a bad one. I am on my 3rd Volvo and never had a problem! I would also like to point out that your Maxima would not have a chance against my MANUAL TRANSMISSION V70 T5.

Hey, I am not trying to insult your car, I am just stating facts here. If someone came here (as I posted above) who owned a faster car than a Volvo T5, I would not react in the same way...If you are faster, then you are faster. Period. It's not the end of the world!!!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Young04
definitely not 0-60...i drove a t5 before...lag is horrible.

That can only be true if you don't know how to drive a turbocharged car. Sure, if you just expect to mash the gas pedal and think you will get to smoke the tires, it is not going to happen. But if you keep an eye on your RPMs and know wher eyour engine stands, you have immediate and AFTERBURNER-like power within milliseconds.

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by 00MAXIST
GrecianVolvo, you might want to tone it down a little bit on the Maxima flaming. Remember that this is OUR board. What do you run in the 1/4 mile?

Hey, I did not come here to flame the Maxima...not at all. But when I read ignorant comments then a response is warranted. I tell most people I know that the V6 engine that the Maxima has is one of the BEST powerplants in the world, and it really is! But when I read that a stock Maxima would smoke a Volvo T5, then...please...the inline 5-cyl. engine from Volvo may not be as silky smooth as the V6 that Nissan has but it does kick butt!

BTW, I think that Nissan is doing a GREAT job with the recamping of their entire line. They are more stylish, very powerful and sold at a great price. I especially love the new G35 although I am not very fond of Japanese cars. I think that Nissan will be reincarnated like VW was a few years back.

Now, if they could only improve the Maxima's looks...Hehehehe!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

how much hp on dyno, what do you run in the 1/4
285+HP, will be at 295HP next week when I install a TME sport exhaust.

1/4-mile? Have not tried that on a track but a friend of mine who has the same car as I do but with automanual transmission (mine is manual), same upgrades, his best run was 14.5 secs.

I know of someone who has a slightly modified S60 T5 manual (just ECU and exhaust) and he is at 14.1 secs. And there is so much you can do, internally. Plus when the weather is cooler (below 80 degrees) the turbo performs better.

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 06:40 AM

A STOCK turbocharged engine is not considered MODIFIED. Do your modifications on the Maxima engine and then let's modify (to keep comparing apples to apples) the T5 engine and let's ee who comes up on top.

It was an intelligent try, based on facts. It is not my fault that the Maxima's engine is not turbocharged. And let's not be sore losers...if my T5 got smoked by a BMW M3, then I would gracefully admit it!

Yannis

'01 Volvo V70 T5 M, iPd ECU Motronic 7.0 upgrade, etc., etc....enough to bury a MAxima!

Listen dude, comparing apple with apple, you just cannot compare a turbocharge engine against a non turbo charge engine, the turbo charge will always have and advantage over the other one, also the T5 Volvo is a 50K car versus 30K car otherwise I can smoke any volvo with my brother's Carrera 2, but that would not make sense cuz it's a 200K car versus 50K car, got it. I rather have 2 cars with similar power otherwise you just cant compare, it doesn't make sense, adding a turbo after or when you bought the car doesn't make a difference it's the similaritude of the engine that make it comparable, dont get me wrong I dont hate Volvo, not at all, I think it is a nice car, my point is to compare similar car with similar power, otherwise this discussion is useless.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-14-2002, 06:51 AM

Any non turbo Volvo would get easily smoke by any 4 th gen or 5 th gen max, auto or not, that is one thing for sure, my neibour has a non turbo Volvo ( I cant remember the exact model ) and everytime we leave at the same time for work and we race he got smoke every time by my max, but when he had the T5 I had a pretty good look at his rear, an I was not frustrated of loosing to a more powerfull car.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-14-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by hawks25
I, being an owner of an S70 T5 auto and a 2k2 SE auto, feel like I have to chime in.

I have to admit, the T5 feels alot more powerful up top than the VQ. I would say, auto to auto, the T5 should walk on the SE from 50mph. And if it's cold out, forget it.

But from a stop, the SE should stomp the Volvo until 50-65, depending on the weather and if the turbo 5 cylinder has been idling in traffic (read: slow spool up).
Hawks25,
I just posted a thread about following a S70 T5 to get past some cars out of an ending lane - read it you'lll find it interesting. We both WOT'd to get past an Acura V6 at about 50 and Wow was I surprised. I gained on it - but so slowly. I'm not used to that.
Lots of respect to that car of yours. A Station Wagon - jeez whatta sleeper!

I believe the driver had given it all it had and if we were racing, I would've slowly walked away from it (note - not jogged past it). I have a 2K2 SE Auto. But amazed me just the same. By the way it definitely was not cold out - about 92 degrees.

Both your vehicles are nice.

Shaydz
Old 08-14-2002, 08:40 AM

1/4-mile? Have not tried that on a track but a friend of mine who has the same car as I do but with automanual transmission (mine is manual), same upgrades, his best run was 14.5 secs.

I know of someone who has a slightly modified S60 T5 manual (just ECU and exhaust) and he is at 14.1 secs. And there is so much you can do, internally. Plus when the weather is cooler (below 80 degrees) the turbo performs better.

Yannis
Yannis,

You are starting to talk **** now. A stock manual 2k2 Maxima will kick the **** out of a stock manual V70 T5 in the 1/4. You come on this board and claim people are making ignorant comments even when speaking from a position of ignorance yourself. Stock manual 2k2s run 0-60 in the 5.8-6 second range and the quarter from 14.2-14.5 seconds. You also said that I had a bad Volvo because of those problems I had. Those problems are very common and prevelent in the '94 and '95 850s. How about all the problems with the '98 S70s. Go away now.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:48 AM
Administrator

are you realy bragging about a 14 second car? what is the world comign to are you near CT.. i will run you
Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by doublea

Listen dude, comparing apple with apple, you just cannot compare a turbocharge engine against a non turbo charge engine, the turbo charge will always have and advantage over the other one, also the T5 Volvo is a 50K car versus 30K car otherwise I can smoke any volvo with my brother's Carrera 2, but that would not make sense cuz it's a 200K car versus 50K car, got it. I rather have 2 cars with similar power otherwise you just cant compare, it doesn't make sense, adding a turbo after or when you bought the car doesn't make a difference it's the similaritude of the engine that make it comparable, dont get me wrong I dont hate Volvo, not at all, I think it is a nice car, my point is to compare similar car with similar power, otherwise this discussion is useless.

Cheers

AA
I don't think you are correct in your statement. First of all an S60 T5 Manual does not cost $50,000 (American dollars that is)...you can get one new for less than $36,000. Second, yes, I can compare a STOCK turbo engine vs. a STOCK normally aspirated angine especially f the normally aspirated engine is of larger displacement (like that of the Maxima). A turbo engine does not "always" have the advantage over a non-turbo engine. If I raced a STOCK M3, I would get lose; it may be close but I would lose. You mention the Carrera, that car is out place in this discussion. The T5 vs. a MAxima is more realistic both from tha standpoint of engine displacement and/or price range (which, BTW, I think Nissan is really pushing the envelope while the rest of its cars are priced very well). I would have not commented if certain people here did not start boasting that a STOCK Maxima would smoke any Volvo...puhleeze!

I don't hate the Maxima either...I think it is a car that has one of the most wonderful engines but not so good looks (which is a subjective matter anyway) and/or handling.

That's all!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 10:31 AM

Yannis,

You are starting to talk **** now. A stock manual 2k2 Maxima will kick the **** out of a stock manual V70 T5 in the 1/4.
....rrrrriiiiiight

Go away now.
What happened to "freedom of speeh", chief? When I decide to go, I will let you know. You don't have to read my posts if they raise your blood pressure. Not good for your health!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Administrator

so Yannis.. you wanna run or not?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
are you realy bragging about a 14 second car? what is the world comign to are you near CT.. i will run you
Sure, I would feel cocky too if I relied exclusively on a pressurized bottle that makes a car giddy! That requires a lot of..."skill"!

BTW, your air filter is wrinkled...shame on you!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That can only be true if you don't know how to drive a turbocharged car. Sure, if you just expect to mash the gas pedal and think you will get to smoke the tires, it is not going to happen. But if you keep an eye on your RPMs and know wher eyour engine stands, you have immediate and AFTERBURNER-like power within milliseconds.

Yannis
The reason why your T5 volvos are fairly slow from 0-60 is because volvo(or should I say ford?) cut's the boost way down in first gear. Likely becuase they don't want to have to do tranny work. You can be the best driver in the world and you can't get around this..

I can vouch for volvo reliability too, my family has had 5 volvos in the last 18 years. We currently have 3, the older ones are built solid and have proven to be capable of 200+ K miles(allmost trouble free too).
Old 08-14-2002, 11:07 AM

I am sorry to burst your bubble but teh Maxima just ran at a superior car. I have the utmost respect for Maxima's V6 but it is no much, either from 0-60 or while at highway speeds, for an S60 T5. That car most likely was not modified because if it were he would be even further away. The T5 has a turbocharged engine that once spooled up (see: highway speeds) not too many cars (even with superior HP) can run with it. Nice try though!!!

Yannis

'01 Volvo T5 M SR, iPd ECU Motronic 7.0 upgrade, etc., etc. Enough to bury a Maxima!
Reality check here, if "no much" means "no match" then your dead wrong. A 6spd maxima will easly take any stock T5 volvo(In the US of course) 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. Just simply look at the times posted.. We can't argue about this one because it is a fact. Now please figure out what your saying and correct your mistakes..

Also with your mods you would probably give a stock 6spd max a good run for it's money, probably even take it on a roll. But please have your car dynoed or take it to the track, don't guestimate your times or be a mag racer. When I see a dyno or a time slip I may show you some respect but untill then your just a mag racer.

I should also mention I raced a V70 T5 wagon(you can search for the post if you want) from a roll. From about 40-80 my stock maxima beat him by about 1.5 car's, that was with grinding my 2-3 shift too. Also my friend has a 96 850 Turbo, we raced from 40-90 MPH and I took him by about 4-5 cars.

BTW if your in the R.I. area I would be more then happy to meet up with you and give you a friendly race.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by emax95

The reason why your T5 volvos are fairly slow from 0-60 is because volvo(or should I say ford?) cut's the boost way down in first gear. Likely becuase they don't want to have to do tranny work. You can be the best driver in the world and you can't get around this..

Ford has absolutely nothing to do with any Volvo T5 (S60 or V70).

There is a limit (although not debilitating) in the 1st gear but not to protect the transmission (the inline 5 and its transmission can safely be worked up to 310HP without any mods). It is there to prevent from leaving 10,000 mles worth of tread on the pavement. That has never hurt anyone who knows how to keep the turbo spooled up. Perhaps it is puzzling to you guys who are not used to turbos but to those who have been driving turbocharged Volvos for decades on, it is 2nd nature to not get caught in turbo lag or what not. And T5s get most of their torque up to 2400 rpm whereas you guys have to wait all the way up to 3800+ rpm. Nothing beats the rush and delivery of power from a turbo engine. Unless you have experienced it day in adn day out you cannot appreciate what a turbo engine can do for you, especially when you are racing higher displacement engines with a HP and torque rating similar or higher to yours.

BTW, nice looking rims...

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 12:31 PM

Yannis
you will be a good match against older supercharged maximas.

Run sprintmax see what happens.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Reality check here, if "no much" means "no match" then your dead wrong. A 6spd maxima will easly take any stock T5 volvo(In the US of course) 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile.
Sorry for the typo but somehow it would not let me edit my message; perhaps because it was my 1st day...But you figured it out anyway, so why complain? BTW, please stop dreaming...

don't guestimate your times
Don't make things up. I did not guesstimate anything. I just posted what another car with an auto transmission (which is slightly slower than a manual car like mine) did. OK?

I may show you some respect but untill then your just a mag racer
You know what? I was dying to...earn your respect. As a matter of fact, I will not be able to neither drive my T5 any more nor sleep peacefully until you publicly announce your respect for me!!!

I should also mention I raced a V70 T5 wagon(you can search for the post if you want) from a roll. From about 40-80 my stock maxima beat him by about 1.5 car's
WOW! You either ran with a geek or someone who was caught by surprise and could not recover.

BTW if your in the R.I. area I would be more then happy to meet up with you and give you a friendly race.
Same goes for you if you are in the Philadelphia area.

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 06:17 PM

There is a limit (although not debilitating) in the 1st gear but not to protect the transmission (the inline 5 and its transmission can safely be worked up to 310HP without any mods). It is there to prevent from leaving 10,000 mles worth of tread on the pavement. That has never hurt anyone who knows how to keep the turbo spooled up. Perhaps it is puzzling to you guys who are not used to turbos but to those who have been driving turbocharged Volvos for decades on, it is 2nd nature to not get caught in turbo lag or what not. And T5s get most of their torque up to 2400 rpm whereas you guys have to wait all the way up to 3800+ rpm. Nothing beats the rush and delivery of power from a turbo engine. Unless you have experienced it day in adn day out you cannot appreciate what a turbo engine can do for you, especially when you are racing higher displacement engines with a HP and torque rating similar or higher to yours.

Yannis
WFT, in a earlier answer to your Volvo supremacy argument & theory conspiracy, I was stating that a Turbo will always have an advantage over non turbo ( I mean car with similar displacement engine ) and you just answer me and I quote " A turbo engine
does not "always" have the advantage over a non-turbo engine " and now you are just saying the opposit, you are contradicting yourself.

Also when I argue about comparing a 50K car versus a 30K car, I forgot to tell you that I'm a CDN citizen and a S60 with the T5 engine in Canada is about 55-60K canadian, and I paid my max around 34-35K CDN so in US $$$ the S60 T5 run around 37-39K and the max around 24-27K, again comparing similar priced car would be a fair deal, but in that case it is not.

The only thing that would make us stop arguing to your asumption is bring your car to a dyno shop and then show us the damn time slip, if you cant do this as a proof of good faith then I suggest that we lock this thread, it is going no where.

AA
Old 08-14-2002, 06:28 PM

WFT, in a earlier answer to your Volvo supremacy argument & theory conspiracy, I was stating that a Turbo will always have an advantage over non turbo ( I mean car with similar displacement engine ) and you just answer me and I quote " A turbo engine
does not "always" have the advantage over a non-turbo engine " and now you are just saying the opposit, you are contradicting yourself.
How am I contradicting myself? Because I extoll the virtues of a turbocharged engine? That does not mean all turbocharged engines are superior...what the hell?

The only thing that would make us stop arguing to your asumption is bring your car to a dyno shop and then show us the damn time slip, if you cant do this as a proof of good faith then I suggest that we lock this thread, it is going no where.

WHAT???

I have to prove what??? That my car has over 285HP? Puhleeze!! Why don't you try to prove that the 255HP r1ceburner can beat my 285+HP WAGON??????????????

If you want to end ths discussion no problem! I understand that you guys are not getting anywhere anyway. It's not like you are comparing your Maximas to an S40 (160HP, 4cyl. turbo) or a normally aspirated S60 or V70. You are messing around with a HIGH PRESSURE TURBOCHARGED Volvo....that's a no-no for you guys until Nissan decides to add more beef to the upcoming Maxima. But then, the S60R and the V70R will be out anyway...300HP, 295 ft-lbs. torque with AWD AND Active Suspension...Hehehe!

Latah!

Yannis
Old 08-14-2002, 06:41 PM

255HP
http://members.rogers.com/mrjimedwards/1314.wmv

who said we keep our cars stock???
Old 08-14-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: Watch out for S60

Originally posted by Polaco02
Ok here is the deal. I'm cruising down I87 at about 90. I see this Volvo that I passed couple miles back flying behind me so I say what the hell. I pounch it and I;m going like 110 and he's right on my ***. So I say let me pull over on the right side and have him pull up next to me. So we're both cruising around 90 and I looke at him and tell him let's go at it. Wanted to teach him alesson but he whooped my ***. He had a Volvo S60 T5. I looked up some infdo on the car and it;s a 2.3L 247 HP engine but it comes stock with Manual. So got my *** spanked by 2 car lengths. Do you guys think he killed me because it was manual and my car is Auto. Can I get some input on this.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:21 PM
It's chrome alright...

some confusion

are you saying "at the same displacement a turbo will have an advantage over a non-turbo" or are you saying "a turbo will *always* have the advantage"?

The former is correct, but your initial post seemed to say the latter and that's not right. If you had a turbo and non-turbo 3.0 liter engine... well, it's silly to even talk about which would win.

But in this case the 2.3 liter high pressure turbo in the s60 T5 is a good comarison to the 3.5 liter VQ because they have similar HP. But their strengths come at different points on the speedo. Off the line, the 2k2 would be ahead and would win from 0-60, and probably 0-100mph but the s60 would be closing the gap.

From highway speeds, with the turbo spooled up (say, starting from 50 or 80), someone who knows how to take advantage of a turbo engine would open a can of whoopass on a 2k2 Maxima. I've driven an s60 T5 manual tranny on an "extended test drive" (read that 'had it for a few days') and I own a 2k2 SE 6-speed so I think I know what I'm talking about.

You are close for pricing, though. A 2k2 Max was about $26k American and the best I could get on an s60 T5 was about $35, or $32 if I tool European delivery.

Also when I argue about comparing a 50K car versus a 30K car, I forgot to tell you that I'm a CDN citizen and a S60 with the T5 engine in Canada is about 55-60K canadian, and I paid my max around 34-35K CDN so in US $$$ the S60 T5 run around 37-39K and the max around 24-27K, again comparing similar priced car would be fair deal, but in that case it is not.

AA
Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by witeenigma
my area's been having camaro SS's now as highway patrols, all dressed in white. I swear if it weren't for some coppish details (like... the logo and the top lights) i would mistake it for another piece of crap too heavy of a 2 door car and get cited for it.

Lets see.....3400lbs and 310rwhp ya too heavy Sorry you feel that way, 271lbs heavier than your rocket ship '90 Maxima! Yep you hit a soft spot.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by ford5litre

Too heavy? Those things will do very low 13's STOCK. Trap speeds are over 100 MPH. Have you ever driven one? They don't feel heavy to me...especially when the tires break loose in gears 1,2, and 3.
Thanks for the back-up!!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GrecianVolvo

Sorry for the typo but somehow it would not let me edit my message; perhaps because it was my 1st day...But you figured it out anyway, so why complain? BTW, please stop dreaming...
Can we please have an adult conversation here? Must you throw slander in? "Must be dreaming" Please relax and take a deap breath..

Don't make things up. I did not guesstimate anything. I just posted what another car with an auto transmission (which is slightly slower than a manual car like mine) did. OK?
Here we go again.. "make things up" How is me saying your guestimating reflecting me making things up? I lack to see the coralation here. By posted someone elses car stats you are indeed guestimating your cars true performance. Every car and especialy driver are different, often times quite different.

You know what? I was dying to...earn your respect. As a matter of fact, I will not be able to neither drive my T5 any more nor sleep peacefully until you publicly announce your respect for me!!!
Yet again a complete lack of maturity.

WOW! You either ran with a geek or someone who was caught by surprise and could not recover.
I don't see how ones personal status reflects on there driving ability. ie, should a gansta or mafia member be a more talented driver then say a "geek"? But again, 6spd maximas are a good deal faster then a auto V70 T5, but hey, why let facts get in the way when we can "guestimate"?

Same goes for you if you are in the Philadelphia area.

Yannis
I won't be there any time soon.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:59 PM

Yannis
I would say ford does have something to do with volvos now considering the fact that they have owned volovos car line for a few years now. The only vehicles volvo has true control over now is there truck and bus line. But agian I would hait to get the facts in the way here..

And T5s get most of their torque up to 2400 rpm whereas you guys have to wait all the way up to 3800+ rpm.
This line is great, dare I say a modern day classic? FYI the 2002 maxima puts down more TQ at idle then the T5's motor ever does. The VQ35 found in the maxima is aclaimed for it's long smooth flat TQ curve, it starts out at over 200 TQ to the wheels and stays that way all the way to 5600 RPM. The VQ's TQ will crush the T5's at any point in the power band. But hey I almost forgot, where mag racers here..
Old 08-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Administrator

i will run you off the bottle.. i will even take the bottle out of hte car and put it on yoru back seat.. do you still want to run?

how about we run for cash?

Sure, I would feel cocky too if I relied exclusively on a pressurized bottle that makes a car giddy! That requires a lot of..."skill"!

BTW, your air filter is wrinkled...shame on you!

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i will run you off the bottle.. i will even take the bottle out of hte car and put it on yoru back seat.. do you still want to run?

how about we run for cash?
How about this, smarty panties? We both DEprogram our cars, so we run stock for stock...let's see whose car's ***** are made out of steel (V70 T5) and not out of r1ce (Maxima)...

Your league is to worry about Honda Accords, Camrys, TLs etc.

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 03:33 PM

How about this, smarty panties? We both DEprogram our cars, so we run stock for stock...let's see whose car's ***** are made out of steel (V70 T5) and not out of r1ce (Maxima)...

Yannis

or you can say who's car is made out of heavy ugly bricks ...
Old 08-15-2002, 03:35 PM

who said we keep our cars stock???

Who says I keep mine stock? (because I don't)

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 03:48 PM

I would say ford does have something to do with volvos now considering the fact that they have owned volovos car line for a few years now. The only vehicles volvo has true control over now is there truck and bus line. But agian I would hait to get the facts in the way here..
You are totally out to lunch on this one. Please do not try to be a Volvo expert if you are not educated on the brand...Ford has bought Volvo's CAR DIVISION. They have nothing to do with the design, production or quality control of the Swedish cars. NADA! Their [Ford] job is to contribute in the financial operation of the business, establish and execute administrative processes, enhance the Safety Centre in Goteborg and integrate Volvo's safety concepts into their products (plus rake in the profits; Volvo is the only brand of the Ford's Premier Automotive Group making money, right now).

This line is great, dare I say a modern day classic? FYI the 2002 maxima puts down more TQ at idle then the T5's motor ever does. The VQ35 found in the maxima is aclaimed for it's long smooth flat TQ curve, it starts out at over 200 TQ to the wheels and stays that way all the way to 5600 RPM. The VQ's TQ will crush the T5's at any point in the power band. But hey I almost forgot, where mag racers here..
You guys have such an inferiority complex that it is beyond being funny. I am still reeling from your comment especially after reading in another thread that some guy's Maxima could not beat a BMW 328!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A THREE-TWENTY EIGHT!!! Not that it is a pushover but if anyone would read all of your comments here, your cars should be racing Corvettes and kicking their butts big time not...LOSING TO BMW 328s!!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I understand it is a bitter pill to swallow losing to a European car, especially a wagon...but that is life in the BIG CITY (where Eurpoeans RULE)!

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 03:52 PM

or you can say who's car is made out of heavy ugly bricks ...
Isn't it even worse for your image when "ugly bricks" (sic) kick the the Maxima's butt? Hehehehe...not that the Maxima is a candidate for Design of the Year...(shivering with the thought)

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 04:02 PM

seriously, come on...stock to stock, the volvo has the advantage from a roll, but posted times, and timeslips will show that in the 1/4 mile, the max will win (matching up transmissions). as someone said, that is fact...i dont know understand what's so hard to get about that? aftermarket basically comes down to who's done more work.

i dont even understand why this is so a huge topic of debate...there will ALWAYS be cars faster than ours. neither of our cars were built to be true racers, leave that to camaro's, stangs, and aftermarket tuners of civics, etc.

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Young04

i dont even understand why this is so a huge topic of debate...there will ALWAYS be cars faster than ours. neither of our cars were built to be true racers, leave that to camaro's, stangs, and aftermarket tuners of civics, etc.

There you go!!! FInally, there is some wisdom in this place! And I was starting to think that this place is beyong hope!

Yannis
Old 08-15-2002, 05:58 PM

Why do you keep on saying that the volvo will kick the Maxima's butt? We have already established that a 2k2 Maxima will run faster in the quarter mile and that the Volvo will win from a roll and in the top end. So how do you like seeing a Max's *** at the track?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GrecianVolvo

You are totally out to lunch on this one. Please do not try to be a Volvo expert if you are not educated on the brand...Ford has bought Volvo's CAR DIVISION. They have nothing to do with the design, production or quality control of the Swedish cars. NADA! Their [Ford] job is to contribute in the financial operation of the business, establish and execute administrative processes, enhance the Safety Centre in Goteborg and integrate Volvo's safety concepts into their products (plus rake in the profits; Volvo is the only brand of the Ford's Premier Automotive Group making money, right now).
I hate to have to say it but I am willing to bet you I know a good bit more about volvo's then you do, so please don't act like your the expert here. You probably don't even know how to change your air filter.

And also don't beleive everything you hear, it is very obvius that ford has been reflecting on recent volvo's. If you look at consumer reports or anything like that you will notice the emediate decline of volvo's quality and reliability once ford bought out the company. This will likely continue to get worse, this is why I no longer like or recomend new volvos.

You guys have such an inferiority complex that it is beyond being funny. I am still reeling from your comment especially after reading in another thread that some guy's Maxima could not beat a BMW 328!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A THREE-TWENTY EIGHT!!! Not that it is a pushover but if anyone would read all of your comments here, your cars should be racing Corvettes and kicking their butts big time not...LOSING TO BMW 328s!!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I understand it is a bitter pill to swallow losing to a European car, especially a wagon...but that is life in the BIG CITY (where Eurpoeans RULE)!

Yannis
Your lack of maturity is shining here once again. If you actually knew anything about 2002 maximas you would realise that a 328 is a good bit slower. In a 1/4 mile race I beat a 328 by about 7-8 car lenghts, infact I have raced several 95-99 M3's and I beat them too. Heck last week at the track I raced a brand new auto Corvette, he got me by about 3-4 car lenghts, thats not to bad IMO. But maybe being a mag racer like you are you never read my sig. I ran a 14.4 @99 MPH in 80 degree weather with a 2.4 60', a 328 is a lot slower then that. But I almost forgot here, you run on that gut feeling that says "if my monthly car payment is higher my car must be faster".

Quick Reply: Watch out for S60