5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

body work needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM

body work needed

So, Saturday night I'm over at a buddy's house having dinner with him and his folks. We decided to go out to a bar to have a few drinks after dinner. As I'm backing out of his driveway WHAM! I had no idea what happened. When I looked around I had backed into a decorative brick piece that I didn't notice. So, I get out of my car to go inspect the damage. Expecting to see a scratched bumper I instead found that the entire bumper cover on the right side has been dislodged, there's a HUGE crack and a dent. Also, the bottom of my tail light is a bit cracked (where the smoked cover is).

I just stared in shock for a few minutes, debating on how to handle the situation. Now that it's been a few days I am a little calmer and looking for some help. I don't want to report this to my insurance because I don't need the rates going up. I'd really like to buy the rear bumper cover and do the work myself. However, I've never attempted to do something like this before. I went to www.nissan-car-body-parts.com and they are selling the rear cover for about $125.

My questions are, how much work will this involve? Are there any other pieces I need to buy to install the bumper cover? What kind of hardware will I need?

I know that body shops will charge me tons in labor to do the work, and I'm unable to afford it. The cheaper I can get away, the better.

Besides, I can't drive the car now, unless I do something ghetto like tie the dragging bumper cover up, or force it in place by using 50 pounds of gum or something...

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:32 PM
jjs

Re: body work needed

Originally posted by jonnyb
So, Saturday night I'm over at a buddy's house having dinner with him and his folks. We decided to go out to a bar to have a few drinks after dinner. As I'm backing out of his driveway WHAM! I had no idea what happened. When I looked around I had backed into a decorative brick piece that I didn't notice. So, I get out of my car to go inspect the damage. Expecting to see a scratched bumper I instead found that the entire bumper cover on the right side has been dislodged, there's a HUGE crack and a dent. Also, the bottom of my tail light is a bit cracked (where the smoked cover is).

I just stared in shock for a few minutes, debating on how to handle the situation. Now that it's been a few days I am a little calmer and looking for some help. I don't want to report this to my insurance because I don't need the rates going up. I'd really like to buy the rear bumper cover and do the work myself. However, I've never attempted to do something like this before. I went to www.nissan-car-body-parts.com and they are selling the rear cover for about $125.

My questions are, how much work will this involve? Are there any other pieces I need to buy to install the bumper cover? What kind of hardware will I need?

I know that body shops will charge me tons in labor to do the work, and I'm unable to afford it. The cheaper I can get away, the better.

Besides, I can't drive the car now, unless I do something ghetto like tie the dragging bumper cover up, or force it in place by using 50 pounds of gum or something...

Thanks for all the help.
This should give you some idea of the parts found in that area...in case you need to replace any...

http://boostedmaximas.com/parts_list...aparts-391.jpg
Old 08-05-2002, 01:45 PM

get the rear bumper of a body kit!
Old 08-05-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
get the rear bumper of a body kit!
he said the cheaper the better
Old 08-05-2002, 03:19 PM

The repair itself may be cheaper than your deductable. On my old 2K , I got an estimate to fix scratches and repaint the bumper for $350, add $120 to that and your still under $500!
Old 08-06-2002, 06:49 AM
jjs

if the bumper cover is cracked it needs to be replaced