5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Important ? about FSTB install... Experts help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:24 AM

Important ? about FSTB install... Experts help!

I may be a little paranoid, but I noticed a how-to on the Courtesy FSTB here on the .org after I did my install, and he mentioned that you need to make sure the car is perfectly level with the horizon with a 'bubble-type' level or something, well I installed mine while the car was turned off, in park, on a slight incline, is that a big problem? I had no idea there was supposed to be a perfectly flat paved surface for this install...

...What is the worst thing that could happen? It seems to be driving fine, I am not driving with my strut towers out of wack or something because I loosened the tower bolts and retightened them on an incline am I???

By the way, I torqued all six bolts to 35 ft./lbs... This is right isn't it? I am just paranoid about my baby...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Important ? about FSTB install... Experts help!

Originally posted by Matthew
I may be a little paranoid, but I noticed a how-to on the Courtesy FSTB here on the .org after I did my install, and he mentioned that you need to make sure the car is perfectly level with the horizon with a 'bubble-type' level or something, well I installed mine while the car was turned off, in park, on a slight incline, is that a big problem? I had no idea there was supposed to be a perfectly flat paved surface for this install...

...What is the worst thing that could happen? It seems to be driving fine, I am not driving with my strut towers out of wack or something because I loosened the tower bolts and retightened them on an incline am I???

By the way, I torqued all six bolts to 35 ft./lbs... This is right isn't it? I am just paranoid about my baby...
Just check the torque on a flat level and you are fine.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Important ? about FSTB install... Experts help!

Originally posted by Matthew

nothing could go wrong. The camber/caster adjustment is made from the strut to the steering knuckle (if I remember correctly, but that was on my Grand Am, just haven't checked on the Max yet). The bolts on the top keep the strut in place. Doesn't have an effect on the alignment or steering.

Andy
Old 08-13-2002, 10:02 AM

The important part is the car is level left to right and that one wheel is not in a hole which would cause chassis flex which you then lock in when you install the bar.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:22 AM

Ok, thanks guys, I feel better now...
Old 08-13-2002, 04:23 PM
I miss the .org!

I believe 35 is right for the bolts...that's what I did.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
I believe 35 is right for the bolts...that's what I did.
You could always go to 75 like that one dude did and completely snap the bolts off.....