5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone think sterling mist looks bronzey/purply?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000 | 10:50 AM
sentient

In the garage and in certain lighting the sterling mist looks like a funny mix of colors, like bronze and purple, or some other color I can't describe. I was told sterling mist is the most popular color. Is anyone bothered by how it changes in different light? I was considering gray lustre but couldn't easily get that car but comparing it to black, it looks really dark and in some light looks black.
Old 12-14-2000 | 10:57 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by sentient
In the garage and in certain lighting the sterling mist looks like a funny mix of colors, like bronze and purple, or some other color I can't describe. I was told sterling mist is the most popular color. Is anyone bothered by how it changes in different light? I was considering gray lustre but couldn't easily get that car but comparing it to black, it looks really dark and in some light looks black.
Don't buy a black maxima... nissan can't seem to get their black paint right... frankly is sucks. But yeah under some condidiotn Sterlin Mist does "change" color. I bet it's the clear coat... probabyl has a little purple in it.

-Shing
Old 12-14-2000 | 11:11 AM
Got Bent?

Metallic paints like Sterling Mist usually have paint flecks of several different colors in them. Depending on the light, and the angle it hits the paint, you get a slightly hue in the paint.
Old 12-14-2000 | 01:37 PM

STERLING MIST

IN THE SHADE IT LOOKS NICE AND SILVER, IN THE SUN IT DOES LOOK A LIL BRONZE. IT DEFINITELY GREW ON ME AFTER I PUT THE TINTS ON THOUGH.
PEACE
Old 12-14-2000 | 04:38 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i dont think that it's most popular by demand, but that nissan produces most maximas in sterling mist. each car seems to have it's signature color. civic si is EPB, supra was red, etc. the maxima's is sterling mist.
Old 12-14-2000 | 04:46 PM

I have a 2K Silver {aka. sterling mist}, Max SE... And no,, the colors don't change!!! mine just has that "Dirty look" fulltime.. :-)

It's really a shame to have a new car SO DIRTY, but it's been SO cold, and I just don't trust car washes...

Back on topic : it does "change" colors in certain lighting (especially at sunset, where stuff always looks weird).. In direct lighting, tho, it's always silver!! In fact, when I went car shopping, I stopped at a Saturn Dealer [no comments here, I WAS LOOKING!!!], and they had a silver LS1. But it looked PINK!!! Seriously, the lighting they had inside made it look 100% pink!!!.. the salesman said, that people always asked about the pink LS1, and he even had a couple that changed their mind after seeing it outside!!

Originally posted by MaximaZero
i dont think that it's most popular by demand, but that nissan produces most maximas in sterling mist. each car seems to have it's signature color. civic si is EPB, supra was red, etc. the maxima's is sterling mist.
Old 12-14-2000 | 04:56 PM
TX2KSE

Yeah, all the metallics are like that. That's how those Mystic colors work, also. Except on those, instead of injecting metallic flakes for reflectivity, they inject much smaller transparent flakes that act like tiny prizms. Cool, huh?

My Grey Lustre does the same kinda thing as the Sterling Mist -- in certain lighting it looks sorta bronzey.

This affect is one of the reasons I didn't get the Merlot color. In the right lighting it was absolutely stunning. But in most of the lighting conditions in which I saw it, it just looked like a dark brown paper bag, to me.
Old 12-14-2000 | 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
Originally posted by sentient
Don't buy a black maxima... nissan can't seem to get their black paint right... frankly is sucks. But yeah under some condidiotn Sterlin Mist does "change" color. I bet it's the clear coat... probabyl has a little purple in it.

-Shing
What do you mean when you say, "....can't seem to get their black paint right"? Has there been recalls or something?