5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen Cold-Air Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 06:49 PM

Injen Cold-Air Install Pics

Finally got around to installing an Injen Cold-Air intake on my 2K2, and did a writeup with color pics on my site (http://www.greghome.com) if anyone is interested.

Early impressions are that this is an extremely high-quality kit, excellent fitment, no drilling or cutting required. Takes about 2.5 hours to install if you're a neat freak like I am.

Does not seem as loud as my old Stillen high-flow that was on my '99 Maxima, probably because of the location of the filter - far away from the passengers. Power is there when you get on it, and the sound is sweet. Drive the car normally, and you wouldn't know the intake is there.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:15 PM
Sanduguero

Re: Injen Cold-Air Install Pics

Off the hook!!!!! supa nice!! am getting one NOW!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 07:21 PM

nice write up

very detailed. Only things I would have like to have also seen are 1) the mounting points for the intake (clamps and what appears to be a bar) and 2) a picture of the intake from underneath to really see how close to the radiator, etc. it is.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:22 PM

How about some step by steps on a 3.0 5th gen?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:29 PM

Very nice write up and pictures.

What about a bypass valve? Is the filter protected from water coming in?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SkyDaver
Very nice write up and pictures.

What about a bypass valve? Is the filter protected from water coming in?
Its pretty well protected so long as you leave undercarriage cover on. MichalAE ran his through a car wash that washed the undercarriage and he said that he only had a slight amount of wetness to his filter. Unless you drive it through a large amount of water I'd think it would be fine.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:48 PM

Theres a fairly nice plastic shield thats right below the filter. Its well protected, and if you have problems with water.. your car is probably submerged in water.. or your fording through a river
Old 08-14-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by max34
How about some step by steps on a 3.0 5th gen?
Well the setup would be I think exactly the same. When I did the PRcai I found the exact same pieces and what not needed to be removed.

Dixit
Old 08-14-2002, 08:04 PM

Yea install an a 3.0 is real easy, just try not to look at the pics they send with it, cuz they suck. Max34 check your email.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:38 PM

I see you disconnected the MAF sensor...did you get any check engine lights after re-connecting it? I am always hesitate to disconnect that sensor.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
I see you disconnected the MAF sensor...did you get any check engine lights after re-connecting it? I am always hesitate to disconnect that sensor.
Those sensors arent as fragile as everyone seems to think. I've put mine through hell. Dropped it and all kinds of stuff, and its still fine. I have a back up cuz i thoiught it was gone after my frankencar.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Those sensors arent as fragile as everyone seems to think. I've put mine through hell. Dropped it and all kinds of stuff, and its still fine. I have a back up cuz i thoiught it was gone after my frankencar.
So you have an extra MAF tube? Would you be willing to part with it?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

So you have an extra MAF tube? Would you be willing to part with it?
The midpipe or MAF sensor?
Old 08-15-2002, 01:49 AM

I installed my Injen yesterday and when I romped on the throttle the first time.... I had no idea an intake could be that loud (been driving turbo cars for the last 7 years). When you get around 6500 RPM it sounds like the world is coming to an end. Its fun to romp on it between 3-4k when darting through traffic. People in the lanes next to you definitely do a double take b/c now the car has a very nasty way of saying "coming through!". The intake is very high quality as is the instructions and you get two stickers and a license plate frame. Not bad for $235 bucks.

Jesse
Old 08-15-2002, 02:37 AM

Re: Re: Injen Cold-Air Install Pics

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
I installed my Injen yesterday and when I romped on the throttle the first time.... I had no idea an intake could be that loud (been driving turbo cars for the last 7 years). When you get around 6500 RPM it sounds like the world is coming to an end. Its fun to romp on it between 3-4k when darting through traffic. People in the lanes next to you definitely do a double take b/c now the car has a very nasty way of saying "coming through!". The intake is very high quality as is the instructions and you get two stickers and a license plate frame. Not bad for $235 bucks.

Jesse
The Frankencar which I used to have is considerably louder than the Injen, but I love the sound and performance of the Injen much better.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:26 AM

BTW

to any manual owners out there I highly suggest you do the synthetic fluid change when you get to around 25K or sooner. It is such an easy install and his write up looks pretty good, good job GregP.

Has anyone installed the injen on their 2K1 Cali spec? if so can you add anything to Greg's writeup for a 2K1? It looks almost the same, just curious.

B.C.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GregP
Finally got around to installing an Injen Cold-Air intake on my 2K2, and did a writeup with color pics on my site (http://www.greghome.com) if anyone is interested.

Early impressions are that this is an extremely high-quality kit, excellent fitment, no drilling or cutting required. Takes about 2.5 hours to install if you're a neat freak like I am.

Does not seem as loud as my old Stillen high-flow that was on my '99 Maxima, probably because of the location of the filter - far away from the passengers. Power is there when you get on it, and the sound is sweet. Drive the car normally, and you wouldn't know the intake is there.
Excellent writeup and pictures. Mine is shipping today and I'll be doing this next week. I was going to do a detailed writeup myself but you've done such an excellent job, I may not. With your permission, I my want to do close-ups of the bolts to remove and attach to the Injen and still try to combine it with your's in a comprehensive how - to for the Sticky - Credit given for sure. Of course you can have all I got for your homepage as well.

Question: You said you removed the connector to the MAF. Did you unhook the battery first and when you reattached the connector , then the battery (I assuming the flow of events), did you let it run for a while to adjust or did you drive it? Not sure what happened around any CEL's or what-not. Can you elabotate.

Great write-up. Injen should ship your writeup with their intakes.

Shaydz
Old 08-15-2002, 07:48 AM

So has anyone had any problems with the Injen yet on any `00-`02's? Or is it too early to tell if the intake will cause any MAF problems? After seeing Greg's write-up and the pics of the intake, i'm starting wonder if it should become my next gift to my car Lastly, where are all you guys ordering your Injen's from, and do they come in any other colors besides red? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you found the writeup useful. Whenever I do one of those I always try to get as many angles/pics as I can but it is tough to get everything everyone would like to see. I can always go back in after the fact and try to get some more close-ups...

I'll try to answer the questions...

I can't do a writeup on the 3.0, cause I don't own one!!

You can disconnect and reconnect the MAF sensor plug a million times - just don't start the car in-between and you will have no problems with the check engine light. I violated the instructions, and did NOT disconnect my battery.

If anyone wants to use pics or create links to my site, please feel free. My purpose is to get the message out on how to do some of these mods and show people that with a little patience and caring, they're not as hard as you might think.

I bought the intake from Adventon (www.adventon.com). If you call them and tell them you are from the Maxima board they will give you the group-buy price, which is even less than what is listed on their web site.

-Greg
Old 08-15-2002, 08:51 AM

Greg, do you think Nissan will give you any problems for having the intake, like if you had transmission problems, do you think they'd blame the problems on the intake? I'm just nervous about touching my engine b/c i've heard that Nissan is a pain in the butt if something like that happens, and you have an intake or other mods on your car.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:01 AM

The midpipe or MAF sensor?
The MAF sensor tube, the part that you retain on any intake you use. (The tube that the sensor plugs into)
Old 08-15-2002, 11:21 AM

I've had no problems with my MAF sensor!! Not since taking off my Frankencar! I love this intake!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:40 AM

Story's not straight

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you found the writeup useful. Whenever I do one of those I always try to get as many angles/pics as I can but it is tough to get everything everyone would like to see. I can always go back in after the fact and try to get some more close-ups...

I'll try to answer the questions...

I can't do a writeup on the 3.0, cause I don't own one!!

You can disconnect and reconnect the MAF sensor plug a million times - just don't start the car in-between and you wi have no problems with the check engine light. I violated the instructions, and did NOT disconnect my battery.

If anyone wants to use pics or create links to my site, please feel free. My purpose is to get the message out on how to do some of these mods and show people that with a little patience and caring, they're not as hard as you might think.

I bought the intake from Adventon (www.adventon.com). If you call them and tell them you are from the Maxima board they will give you the group-buy price, which is even less than what is listed on their web site.

-Greg
I ordered from George at Adventon and requested 3 day express and he claims that they don't do that. Also, he said that their price listed on the site is the only price. No GROUP BUY

What's up Greg?????
Old 08-15-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Story's not straight

Originally posted by buzek

I ordered from George at Adventon and requested 3 day express and he claims that they don't do that. Also, he said that their price listed on the site is the only price. No GROUP BUY

What's up Greg?????
Exact same thing for me. He said that since their prices were so good as it was they couldnt afford to go any lower... Who knows, but I was still pretty happy with the price and shipping. Got it quick, packaged great, in good condition.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Story's not straight

Originally posted by buzek

What's up Greg?????
That's what George told me as well. I guess the price used to be (about a month ago) $211 for the 2K2 Polished but it went up to $218.
That's alright $232 shipped works for me - you seen what others are charging? Injen's MSRP is like > $300.

I should get mine next Wed. or so.

Shaydz
Old 08-15-2002, 12:26 PM

Slightly OT: looking for pic of blue

I've only seen the red intake. Does anyone have pictures of the polished or blue intakes? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:28 PM

Re: Slightly OT: looking for pic of blue

Originally posted by ajahearn
I've only seen the red intake. Does anyone have pictures of the polished or blue intakes? Thanks.
I ordered the polished and all the tubing is red. Does the red one have red piping also?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Slightly OT: looking for pic of blue

I ordered the polished and all the tubing is red. Does the red one have red piping also?
The hoses are all red "I thnk".
The color differenced are in the metal tubing.
Yea I'm cool with the price and shipping too, just wondering why Greg has a different story. Thats all.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Slightly OT: looking for pic of blue

Here they are :

http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake...r_coat_big.jpg

Y2KSESteve,
It would make sense for the Red but I don't think so for the blue. It seems a while back someone had gotten the blue and was looking for a blue hose to match, but I may be wrong.

Shaydz
Old 08-15-2002, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Shaydz

Here they are :

Y2KSESteve,
It would make sense for the Red but I don't think so for the blue. It seems a while back someone had gotten the blue and was looking for a blue hose to match, but I may be wrong.

Shaydz
Oh yea, I remember reading about that. I wonder if they ever found it. I think they did.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:10 PM

Here they are :

Y2KSESteve,

Shaydz
It matches the Ingen logo..I guess thats the logic?
Old 08-15-2002, 01:17 PM

I'd either get the blue powder coat or polished aluminum, but I'd definately need to get replacement hoses b/c red won't match anything on my car.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
I'd either get the blue powder coat or polished aluminum, but I'd definately need to get replacement hoses b/c red won't match anything on my car.
Yea it doesnt match anything on my car either, but I still think it looks real good and i get compliments on it all the time.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:35 PM

Yea it doesnt match anything on my car either, but I still think it looks real good and i get compliments on it all the time.
What is the "custom RAM air" in your sig?
A half cylinder around the filter? I think Injen makes a polished one of those too.

Shaydz
Old 08-15-2002, 01:39 PM

Here they are :

Shaydz
The pictures I've seen have not shown any metal piping color, only the flexy hose and some banding. I sight as an example

http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake.../rd/rd1940.jpg

Greg's install shows this same picture. So does the blue actually have blue metal piping like the URL you specified?
Old 08-15-2002, 01:42 PM

Shaydz check your pm
Old 08-15-2002, 03:47 PM

Hi guys,

I can't explain what George at Adventon told anyone regarding their pricing. Maybe it did go up! I forgot who I spoke to over there, but the name "George" doesn't ring any bells. Still, I think their price is pretty decent, considering the quality of this intake system. I am surprised about the shipping issue though. Adventon sent me the intake via UPS 3-business-day delivery. I ordered on a Tuesday and got it on a Friday. Charge was around $30 for this...

Greg
Old 08-15-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Slightly OT: looking for pic of blue

The pictures I've seen have not shown any metal piping color, only the flexy hose and some banding. I sight as an example

http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake.../rd/rd1940.jpg

Greg's install shows this same picture. So does the blue actually have blue metal piping like the URL you specified?
I haven't seen one, but the picture is from Injen's site - gotta think that's what it looks like. I still like the Polished better, though.

Shaydz
Old 08-16-2002, 06:01 AM

Hi guys,

I can't explain what George at Adventon told anyone regarding their pricing. Maybe it did go up! I forgot who I spoke to over there, but the name "George" doesn't ring any bells. Still, I think their price is pretty decent, considering the quality of this intake system. I am surprised about the shipping issue though. Adventon sent me the intake via UPS 3-business-day delivery. I ordered on a Tuesday and got it on a Friday. Charge was around $30 for this...

Greg
Wait a minute.. On your site you said "subtract $13.75 if you don't want 3 day express...."
THats what I'm talking about. We just need the facts so if anyone call to order they know their getting the same deal. (no flames on my part)
Old 08-16-2002, 12:29 PM

Run your car at about 2AM on a cool dry night. I notice a difference with stock intake.

Quick Reply: Injen Cold-Air Install Pics