5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 05:07 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

1. Does anyone have any pictures of what the modifications to the front struts and strut mount?
And yes I have used the "search" and read all the threads regarding the AGX in the 5th gens. I believe it was Devon that has a very good write-up on the install but I would like a clearer picture about what I am getting into if I go this route.

2.I have also heard that you need to modify the rear shocks somewhat ie the top mount...is this true? Or are they plug and play in the rear?

3. I plan on running Eibachs all around... is the fitment issue really that bad or can the the bottom mount be easily
"Settled" by either pushing the spring into it with a spring compressor or by just lining it up well then putting the car back on the ground and letting gravity do it's thing?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

Originally posted by Regime
1. Does anyone have any pictures of what the modifications to the front struts and strut mount?
And yes I have used the "search" and read all the threads regarding the AGX in the 5th gens. I believe it was Devon that has a very good write-up on the install but I would like a clearer picture about what I am getting into if I go this route.
strut (5th gen)
http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/thum...gen5%20agx.jpg

strut (4th gen)
http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/thum...gen4%20agx.jpg

the location of the mounting holes are different.
u can use 4th gen strut mount.

2.I have also heard that you need to modify the rear shocks somewhat ie the top mount...is this true? Or are they plug and play in the rear?
rear is a direct fit...however, the perch might be too big for certain brand of springs, i.e. eibach.

3. I plan on running Eibachs all around... is the fitment issue really that bad or can the the bottom mount be easily
"Settled" by either pushing the spring into it with a spring compressor or by just lining it up well then putting the car back on the ground and letting gravity do it's thing?

Thanks in advance guys.

yup, it wont go into the perch....Cattman never tried their modded AGX with eibach per Deven....and he tried the eibach and thought the car weight will pushed it in...but it didnt.

what will work : Progress and HR.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: 3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
[B]

strut (5th gen)
http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/thum...gen5%20agx.jpg

strut (4th gen)
http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/thum...gen4%20agx.jpg

the location of the mounting holes are different.
u can use 4th gen strut mount.

[B]

rear is a direct fit...however, the perch might be too big for certain brand of springs, i.e. eibach.

yup, it wont go into the perch....Cattman never tried their modded AGX with eibach per Deven....and he tried the eibach and thought the car weight will pushed it in...but it didnt.

Thank you for the reply....but...
Yes I have seen those pictures.... I see no difference between the supposedly "modified" and the regular, if you do please circle or highlight the area. As for the 4th gen mounts ..... I don't want to buy those as I have heard people have gotten the stock ones to work with a minor modification. As for the Eibach thing.... There are other people that do run eibachs on agx and I wanted them to respond about their experiences.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: 3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

Yes I have seen those pictures.... I see no difference between the supposedly "modified" and the regular, if you do please circle or highlight the area. As for the 4th gen mounts ..... I don't want to buy those as I have heard people have gotten the stock ones to work with a minor modification. As for the Eibach thing.... There are other people that do run eibachs on agx and I wanted them to respond about their experiences.
I dun have AGX
but this is my experience with Koni.....Koni doesnt come with strut housing...it is a shock insert. which means, cut ur now strut open and dump out the stock strut and the liquid.

my installer cut a pair of 4th gen strut before I went to his place. then when it's ready to be put on...the realized taht 4th gen strut will not fit onto 5th gen...the bolts and holes will not aligned.

if u looked carefully on the 2 picture that I posted...u will noticed that the two plates on the bottoms are different in thickness, size, shape, and the two holes on each plates have different location.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

AH... yes I can't believe I missed that... I thought for some reason the differences were on the topend of the strut. Thank you very much Maxi-overdose.

Ok so that is 1 of the 2 mods needing to be done to fit on the car.

Now, are the 4th gen mounts that cattman sells for the top end of the setup or the bottom? I think they are for the top side. and if this is the case. Anyone that has done this mod.... what did you have to mod on the to make the 5th gen mount work. Pictures please.
And any thoughts on the Eibach problem.....as I really want the stiffer handling of the Eibach over the softer H&R, Progress or Sprints.

Thanks again for the help

I dun have AGX
but this is my experience with Koni.....Koni doesnt come with strut housing...it is a shock insert. which means, cut ur now strut open and dump out the stock strut and the liquid.

my installer cut a pair of 4th gen strut before I went to his place. then when it's ready to be put on...the realized taht 4th gen strut will not fit onto 5th gen...the bolts and holes will not aligned.

if u looked carefully on the 2 picture that I posted...u will noticed that the two plates on the bottoms are different in thickness, size, shape, and the two holes on each plates have different location.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I haven't read the responses to your post because I am on the phone right now, but I would recommend getting 4th gen springs. 5th gen doesn't seem to work.

The stut mounts that they sell are top mounted.

Here's my setup:

4th gen AGX
4th gen Progress springs
4th gen mounts

It's awesome.

Don't do Eibach unless they are 4th gen.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: 3 KYB AGX mod ?'s

I am confused, is this issue with 4th gen cars, or just with 5th gen cars? I have a 4th gen and am about to do this work.....thx !

Old 08-29-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by 2DMax
I am confused, is this issue with 4th gen cars, or just with 5th gen cars? I have a 4th gen and am about to do this work.....thx !

if u have 4th gen and 4th gen spring...u r fine...the AGX is originally designe for 4th gen and Cattman modified the front to fit the 5th gen....but didnt realize that the rear perch is too big for 5th gen springs....they said it will settle and the spring will be pressed into the perch by the weight. but not for Deven2kstickman when he tried to install 5th gen eibach with 4th gen agx (rear).
Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

5th gen Eibachs on my Max with 4th gen AGXs with no problems. I lined the spring up on the base of the strut housing as best I could to get even contact around the circumference and slowly lowered the car down and have not heard a sound. I too wanted the stiffer Eibachs over the H&Rs and a secondary benefit is that the front and rear now have less than a finger's width of gap differential. The 1.3F/1.0R was not true....the look AND the ride are spectacular with the rear AGXs set on #2. Good luck either way though.