5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

? on balancing tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 07:21 PM

? on balancing tires

Hey-

When a tir is balanced, they put the sticky weights on the inside of the rim right?

On 3 of my tires they have the weights in a row altogether....on my front left there is a row in one spot and another 2 weights in another spot on the rim...is this right or did the guy miss scraping them off when he was balancing the tires?

The tires feel like they are not balanced as I am getting a little bit of shimmy...seems whenever I go to anywhere but a Nissan dealer that the tires never get balanced correctly...

I had them done when I had my new Dunlop Sport A2's installed at a VIP Auto Center....got tires at the Tire Rack....

Could my more shimmy ride also be from the more aggressive tread on these tires vs the Toyos?
Old 08-20-2002, 07:43 PM

If they need to be re-balanced, usually they remove any existing weights and start from scratch. I wonder if they forgot to remove the factory installed sticky ones...

I got a nail in one of my tires and I brought it to NTB. They had to removed the tire to patch it from inside. The tech removed all the factory installed weights and balanced the tire from scratch.

Usually balancing is covered by a 90-day or so warranty...
Old 08-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sometimes when there are weights side by side, they do that cause they might not have had in stock the weight for that size, so they get around it by using two different ones that add upto that weight it requested (the balancer).

Dixit
Old 08-20-2002, 08:06 PM

I guess what I'm asking is can there be weights apart on the tire...like one set here and another set another place on the tire?

I thought there was only one set or group of weights for each wheel....I wonder if he for got to take the old set off on this particlar tire
Old 08-20-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by jnm2kse
I guess what I'm asking is can there be weights apart on the tire...like one set here and another set another place on the tire?

I thought there was only one set or group of weights for each wheel....I wonder if he for got to take the old set off on this particlar tire
Yes, it could, like what BigDog explained. If for some reason the balancer indicates several points where the rim needs the weights but they don't have the specific weight, you may end up with groups of weights is such points. That could be part of the problem. And if you're no happy how they feel now, take it back and make'em do it again. They should guarantee their work.