5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen custom shift knob update

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:17 AM

5th gen custom shift **** update

Ok guys,

Had my meeting with the machine shop and got some good info.

First of all, anodize colours available are:

clear
black
green
yellow
red

These are unfortunately matte anodizes, so the black is really black. Its not that black chrome look. I can still get the bright anodizes, but I will have to send the parts out of city which equals $$$. All these anodizes will require a clear coat to protect them from UV as they are UV sensitive.

The colour I really, really like and strongly recommend is not an anodize at all, its nickel-plate with a clearcoat finish overtop. I can try and get back to the shop and get a picture of the part. Its a really nice, lustrous colour. The best way to describe it is dark chrome colour. Its not too far off from the colour of the plastic insert on the 2k2 shifter, but its shiny and reflective instead of satin finish.

There is a minimum fee for the anodizing or plating, so the best deal will be if we all go with the same colour. I can still do custom anodize colours if desired, but in quantites of 1 or 2 the price will be higher because we'll get dinged the minimum charge.

Regarding cost, if we stay with an axis symmetric design the cost will be approximately $70 to $90 US. I will be able to provide exact pricing once we settle on a design and I can give the guy 3D models and quantities to work from.

Non axis symmetric designs are substantially more pricey because they have to be done on 3-axis CNCs and require more machining.

I've loaded images of the concepts at Cardomain at the following link.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=233353&page=1

These are early concepts, and there is still time for feedback. If we can try and settle on two designs and one or colours, this will be the most cost-effective.

I've set up a hotmail account if anyone wants to reach me or submit any sketches/ideas. My email is eric2k2max@hotmail.com
Old 08-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: 5th gen custom shift **** update

Originally posted by Eric
Ok guys,

Had my meeting with the machine shop and got some good info.

First of all, anodize colours available are:

clear
black
green
yellow
red

These are unfortunately matte anodizes, so the black is really black. Its not that black chrome look. I can still get the bright anodizes, but I will have to send the parts out of city which equals $$$. All these anodizes will require a clear coat to protect them from UV as they are UV sensitive.

The colour I really, really like and strongly recommend is not an anodize at all, its nickel-plate with a clearcoat finish overtop. I can try and get back to the shop and get a picture of the part. Its a really nice, lustrous colour. The best way to describe it is dark chrome colour. Its not too far off from the colour of the plastic insert on the 2k2 shifter, but its shiny and reflective instead of satin finish.

There is a minimum fee for the anodizing or plating, so the best deal will be if we all go with the same colour. I can still do custom anodize colours if desired, but in quantites of 1 or 2 the price will be higher because we'll get dinged the minimum charge.

Regarding cost, if we stay with an axis symmetric design the cost will be approximately $70 to $90 US. I will be able to provide exact pricing once we settle on a design and I can give the guy 3D models and quantities to work from.

Non axis symmetric designs are substantially more pricey because they have to be done on 3-axis CNCs and require more machining.

I've loaded images of the concepts at Cardomain at the following link.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=233353&page=1

These are early concepts, and there is still time for feedback. If we can try and settle on two designs and one or colours, this will be the most cost-effective.

I've set up a hotmail account if anyone wants to reach me or submit any sketches/ideas. My email is eric2k2max@hotmail.com
Any plans for a matching ebrake handle? That would be sweet....although metal sucks in AZ......
Old 08-21-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: Re: 5th gen custom shift **** update

I'll have a look and see how much trouble it would be to pull off the old one and replace it. If its not a big job, then a matching hand brake is on the way if people want it.

I was thinking of doing caps for the various fluid containers as well. The only exception would be the radiator cap, which I don't want to mess due to the pressure/heat.

Originally posted by asu174

Any plans for a matching ebrake handle? That would be sweet....although metal sucks in AZ......
Old 08-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about a design that is more like the stock one. I love the stock shape...or one line the Greddy ones ...thats a phat shape too... the ball look is too momoish
Old 08-23-2002, 04:53 PM

i like the ones on page 2 the best... im not down with the ball or the cylinder. i like ones that conform to my hand when im shifting.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:22 PM

LOVE the Bimmer one man..gotta have it! I wanna get this deal going so I can get one
Old 08-23-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by importspeed24v
LOVE the Bimmer one man..gotta have it! I wanna get this deal going so I can get one
Yeah, gotta go with the BMW looking one. As for color, I'll take your suggestion with the "clear".
Old 08-24-2002, 05:44 AM

Agreed. I like your idea of the dark chrome color. I think it would look the most flush with everyone's interior. Also, something that conforms to our hand is a good idea. What does the bimmer shifter look like?

Also, is there going to be something printed on it? Shift gate, SE, Nissan, Maxima, or something else???
Old 08-24-2002, 06:20 AM

I like the Bimmer one in the clear or the dark finish. If you make it, consider me in for one! Its on one of the last pages of his website pjonkheer.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:49 AM

Ok,

Sounds like the BMW SMG-imitation shifter is the one people like.
Just to be clear, that's this one:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=233353&page=4

To avoid any dissatisfaction, I will get one made for myself with the nickel-plated finish, install it in my car, and take some pics. If its still to people's liking, I will then take orders.

As for other designs, such as the stock shifter shape, anything can be done but the price will be higher due to the small quantity and non-symmetric shape.

If you are really interested in other designs, drop me an email at eric2k2max@hotmail.com and I will get exact pricing for you. If you're really keen, you can email me a sketch and I will try to dutifully copy it.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:47 AM

bimmer one is good..dark chrome is good..

One question, Is this shift **** going to be a direct replacement or is there going to be a set pin.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:36 AM

Its going to be a direct screw-in replacement - no set screws or anything.

Since this is for 5th gen maxima's only, I can design it to work with the male thread on the shift rod. Companies like Momo want their ***** to fit the widest variety of cars possible, hence why they use cludges like set screws.

Originally posted by maximadriven
bimmer one is good..dark chrome is good..

One question, Is this shift **** going to be a direct replacement or is there going to be a set pin.