5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 04:28 PM

Suspension Help Please!!!

Suspension guys I need your help and I have already done much searching...

I hava a 2K2 SE. I was running eibachs on KYB AGX. The ride was too rough for me so I went back to stock springs on AGX. The fronts are perfectly fine but one rear spring cracked because of the fitment issues on the perch and I dont feel safe riding on these springs. In addition my stock rear struts are blown and cannot be used. Here are tte options I came up with:

1. Buy 2 new rear struts tokico or OEM) and springs.
2. Or my question is do 4th gen stock springs fit on KYB's with out any fitment issues, and if so will these fit/work on my 2K2.

Any other suggestions would be great obviuosly I am looking to got he cheapest route. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Suspension Help Please!!!

Originally posted by juice
Suspension guys I need your help and I have already done much searching...

I hava a 2K2 SE. I was running eibachs on KYB AGX. The ride was too rough for me so I went back to stock springs on AGX. The fronts are perfectly fine but one rear spring cracked because of the fitment issues on the perch and I dont feel safe riding on these springs. In addition my stock rear struts are blown and cannot be used. Here are tte options I came up with:

1. Buy 2 new rear struts tokico or OEM) and springs.
2. Or my question is do 4th gen stock springs fit on KYB's with out any fitment issues, and if so will these fit/work on my 2K2.

Any other suggestions would be great obviuosly I am looking to got he cheapest route. Thanks.
If you have the 4th gen KYB AGX's, you should use 4th gen springs......
Old 08-25-2002, 06:31 AM

Re: Re: Suspension Help Please!!!

So stock 4th Gen Springs will have no fitment issues like my stock 5th gen's did?

Originally posted by asu174

If you have the 4th gen KYB AGX's, you should use 4th gen springs......
Old 08-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Very sound, Mike

Another option would be to get the KYB GR-2's for the rear. There's already a 5th gen application for those.

Btw, how/why did your stock struts blow?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:20 AM

KYB's

I would like to keep the AGX's and if the 4th gen springs will fit that is my cheapset solutio plus I like the adjustability. Rear stock struts blew after 6000 miles of running them with the eibachs.

Originally posted by soundmike
Another option would be to get the KYB GR-2's for the rear. There's already a 5th gen application for those.

Btw, how/why did your stock struts blow?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:03 AM
Maxima Pilot

My two cents and a question: keep your Eibachs

and go with Konis all around...the rears are a direct bolt on Gen4 to Gen5, set them roughly at setting two to start with. In front either go with the Konis as well (you'll need the Gen4 shock tower mounting plate) or Tokico Blues.

There's one great reason why Konis are better than anything else out there and that is their adjustment profile: when u adjust (tighten) a KYB AGX you increase both compression (jounce) as well as extension (rebound) whereas the Koni adjustments increase rebound only.
Makes, perfect sense now, right? When u install stiffer springs...you certainly dont want to increase shock rate as well on the compression side (which will add to the ride stiffness) but only on the rebound side where the added damping serves to mitigate the stiffer springs desire to extend the suspension out (after compression) at a faster rate. That's what the Konis do, the AGXs, well...sorry, you get the message.

Also, what size tires/rims are you running?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: My two cents and a question: keep your Eibachs

Thanks for all the info, but I dont plan on puuting anymore money into the car. I am going to stick with the kyb's and stock springs. I am running 17's on the stock potenzas.