5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Faint "Check Engine" light visible at night

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 04:34 PM

Faint "Check Engine" light visible at night

Hello,

Long time "lurker", first time poster. I just purchased an 02 SE about a week and a half ago and love it. Sure glad the wife was disappointed in the Accord after a test drive! It's quite different than my 97 SE.

Anyway, my question is this:

While driving at night, I noticed that the "check engine" warning light is ever so slightly lit....almost like a reflection from the dash lights is hitting it. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: Faint "Check Engine" light visible at night

Originally posted by Tripower
Hello,
While driving at night, I noticed that the "check engine" warning light is ever so slightly lit....almost like a reflection from the dash lights is hitting it. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!
There is another poster out there with the same issue. He ended up having his whole gauge cluster replaced. I'll take a look and see if I can find it for you.
You should get the car to the dealer ASAP.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: Faint "Check Engine" light visible at night

Originally posted by maximadriven

There is another poster out there with the same issue. He ended up having his whole gauge cluster replaced. I'll take a look and see if I can find it for you.
Thanks for the quick reply.

The thing is the light is not lit during the day at all. It barely is visible at night. My thoughts are that it may be a reflection from the cluster backlighting. If I could see another Max's cluster at night, I'd know if it was normal or not. I may set the dimmer all the way off and see if it goes away. If it truly is on, I would think that the warning light would light up regardless of dimmer switch settings.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you're not alone

I have the same problem on my 02 SE. If you don't have the lights on at all you can still see it so it isn't backlighting from the cluster. I have been debating if I should take it in or not but I figured the dealer would think I was crazy or the dealer would have to keep it over night or some crazy crap like that. You really have to look at it to see the faint light. As far as I have seen it hasn't had any effect on performance, though I haven't had it above 4500rpm yet. I do have some slight hesitation in 4th gear around 45mph though, but I've heard that story from another thread.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:54 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Maybe everyone's light is on?

I've got the same faint light also. Just got my 2K2 a week ago and noticed it right away, but first thought it was 'leakage' from another bulb in the dash or something. It can be seen in daylight, when the lights are off, so I'm figuring it cant be a leak. No performance problems, but gets a bit annoying.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Maybe everyone's light is on?

Originally posted by Bluesbrekr
I've got the same faint light also. Just got my 2K2 a week ago and noticed it right away, but first thought it was 'leakage' from another bulb in the dash or something. It can be seen in daylight, when the lights are off, so I'm figuring it cant be a leak. No performance problems, but gets a bit annoying.
Does you guys' light come on during bulb-check? Key on, before starting? If so, i guess you could assume the circuit is still functional, right?

I would think twice about letting a low-level tech tear apart your entire dash to replace the panel unless that REALLY bugs you.

PS. My 2k2 doesn't do this...i dont think...

ARFF
Old 08-26-2002, 07:22 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Re: Re: Maybe everyone's light is on?

Originally posted by saxdogg

Does you guys' light come on during bulb-check? Key on, before starting? If so, i guess you could assume the circuit is still functional, right?

I would think twice about letting a low-level tech tear apart your entire dash to replace the panel unless that REALLY bugs you.

PS. My 2k2 doesn't do this...i dont think...

ARFF
The light comes on brightly during the bulb check, then gets faint when the engine is started, so it would seem the circuit is working. Unless the tech at my dealer knows exactly what's wrong, I wouldn't want him 'learning' on my dash!!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:25 PM

Re: Re: Faint "Check Engine" light visible at night

Originally posted by maximadriven

That's me. I've got a couple threads on that one. try a search on "check engin light". or email me and I'll let you know what I found out. Don't want to clutter up the board with it.
Brian
Old 08-26-2002, 07:26 PM

BLUES....I agree

The light comes on brightly during the bulb check, then gets faint when the engine is started, so it would seem the circuit is working. Unless the tech at my dealer knows exactly what's wrong, I wouldn't want him 'learning' on my dash!!

I agree totally. I have this fear of something like that happening and then leaving with more problems than I came in with. I can see your dash rattling all the way home already!!!

ARFF
Old 08-26-2002, 11:33 PM

Re: BLUES....I agree

Originally posted by saxdogg

I agree totally. I have this fear of something like that happening and then leaving with more problems than I came in with. I can see your dash rattling all the way home already!!!

ARFF
Same problem, Same fear. I'm just going to live with it
Old 08-27-2002, 01:33 AM

I posted on this about a week ago. same problem on my new 2k3 max se. took it into the dealer and the instument cluster must be replaced. you must advise your dealer to call or log on to nissan tech support. they are aware of the problem and will authorize the replacement under warranty. took about 45 minutes to replace after they got the part in...problem fixed.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:57 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally posted by nick778
I posted on this about a week ago. same problem on my new 2k3 max se. took it into the dealer and the instument cluster must be replaced. you must advise your dealer to call or log on to nissan tech support. they are aware of the problem and will authorize the replacement under warranty. took about 45 minutes to replace after they got the part in...problem fixed.

Great!!
I'll take my Max in to the dealer and have them replace the cluster. Glad there is support for the repair, and that it can be done quickly. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:09 AM

Got mine fixed

I had the same problem and I took the car back and told them to fix my piece of cr@# Renault. Didn't have any problems. No rattle.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:45 AM

Is there a TSB on this?

I'm glad to hear that it's not only me. My fear is also that the tech will cause rattles. For those who have had the cluster replaced, were you happy with the result? Was there a TSB # associated with this? With this many occurances, I would think Nissan would have a TSB out.

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:32 PM

I have the same problem but the annoying thing is that it doesnt happen all the time, just once in a while.
My question is it just the guauge cluster malfunctioning or is there really something wrong with the engine????
Old 08-27-2002, 06:07 PM

Anyone tried battery disconnect trick?

Has anyone tried the battery disconnect trick to reset the system to see if it eliminated the dim SES light?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Faint light goes on and off

Just noticed, with the engine running, that that faint 'check engine' light goes off for a second when turning on my headlights. You gotta do it slowly, stopping the switch at the auto, then at the parking and then to regular headlights. The faint light goes out, then comes back on.

Anyone else notice this? If it goes off and on when turning the headlight switch, I'm thinking it's a circuit problem and not a sign that something's wrong with the engine?

I'm still gonna take it to the dealer, though.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:39 AM

I have had this same problem since day one on my car. The light is always dimly lit when the engine is running. It is however (obviously) hard to see in the daytime, unless in the garage or going through a tunnel. I have had no other problems with it, and the light "self-checks" fine at startup. My dealer was initially unable to find a problem with this, but I intend to mention it again at the next oil change and try and get a new cluster or whatever it takes to get it fixed.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:45 AM

Could it possibly be just some other light that is seaping through a small gap behind there. It may not be the CEL at all, just the regular spedo bulb that is getting some light through a crack back there.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Faint light goes on and off

Just noticed, with the engine running, that that faint 'check engine' light goes off for a second when turning on my headlights. You gotta do it slowly, stopping the switch at the auto, then at the parking and then to regular headlights. The faint light goes out, then comes back on.

Anyone else notice this? If it goes off and on when turning the headlight switch, I'm thinking it's a circuit problem and not a sign that something's wrong with the engine?

I'm still gonna take it to the dealer, though.
That is exactly what it does....goes off at the "auto" setting on the lights then comes back on at the normal headlight setting.

Please let us know what the dealer says. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:04 PM

yes, it is hard to see during the day(brought a towel with me so the nissan tech could put it over his head and the instrument cluster to see it clearly), yes it does go off and on when switching the headlights through auto and no, it is not light from an adjacent bulb.
there is *nothing* that can be done to fix the existing unit. the entire gauge cluster with lights is one unit. it must be replaced per Nissan tech support line. they told my dealer that some of the instrument panel clusters were defective and tried to get them out of the production inventory but some slipped through.
the part took one day to arrive at my dealer, took 45 minutes to install and it is all fixed. also, no rattles.