5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I Got Pulled Over!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 07:41 PM

I Got Pulled Over!!

For my headlights!!

I never thought it would happen to me. The guy was in front of me, slowed down to get behind me and pulled me over.
Barney must have had nothing to do.
Here's my question:
He said my headlights were a blue color...they're cheap APC HID-look lights... If I get PIAA "X-Treme WHITES", am I gonna get pulled over for that?

Thankfully Barney wasn't in a ticket writing mood.
He did threaten me with jail, though, because of impersonating a police officer.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:47 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: I Got Pulled Over!!

Originally posted by max34
He did threaten me with jail, though, because of impersonating a police officer.
you gonna explain that??? There's a story you're not telling...
Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I Got Pulled Over!!

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

He said that cause the cop told him that because of the blue lights which are for cops.

I got pulled over today as well, 100ft in front of my apartment. He nailed me for windshield washer LEDs, no front tag (which Alabama DONT give me), tint too dark, blue lights on my clear corners....etc....etc...etc.....

I basically explained to him kindly, you cant give me a ticket for no front tag since I have ALABAMA tags. They only give me one tag. He argues with me for about 15mins about how this time it is a warning and next time it will be a ticket, I said fine. This is all cause I drive the car in Maryland. The copy KNOWS he cant issue me a ticket, this is because I called the State Trooper here and they told me they are not allowed to issue Repair order tickets or anything other tickets of that to out of state cars.

Dixit
Old 08-27-2002, 08:16 PM

I'm a Florida officer, and our law is pretty typical. It says that you cannot install headlights which change the color of the light being emitted to anything other than white. True xenon HID's look blue, but they actually emit white light, so they are legal. Cheap, aftermarket lights do not emit white light, so they are not legal. Mayland is probably the same since it's based on USDOT information.

Impersonating an officer? I don't think that would ever fly. Your lights weren't flashing were they?
Old 08-27-2002, 08:21 PM

Tbirdrob, good to see a cop on the board. I got some questions. If I install my Whelen Police strobes on my Maxima and use it for show purpose, can I be ticketed? Like lets say I was in a parking lot, showing people the car, and I turn it on, can that be assumed by a cop as if I was trying to impersonate a officer?

How bad would it be if I turned it on while driving and a officer spotted me? Is the ticket bad?

What is this whole deal on underbody neons? I know it is huge in Miami and what not, Why is it soooo bad? Lets say I put on my old blue kit, im sure the officer will give me a ticket because blue is reserved color, what if I did white? would that be ok or is it still a problem due to the fact that they dont like underbody neons period?

Thanks
Dixit
Old 08-27-2002, 08:29 PM

Well I'm not a cop Big DogJonx but in AZ ANY colored under-car lights are illegal to use on the street. The only places where they are permitted is private drives like parking lots. It may be legal where you live but i've asked several AZ cops and all of them have thought that you can't use them at all.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Well I'm not a cop Big DogJonx but in AZ ANY colored under-car lights are illegal to use on the street. The only places where they are permitted is private drives like parking lots. It may be legal where you live but i've asked several AZ cops and all of them have thought that you can't use them at all.
Sorry bro...not true. Just red and blue last time I checked. Could have changed in the last 3 or 4 years but I doubt it....
Old 08-27-2002, 09:34 PM

For my headlights!!

I never thought it would happen to me. The guy was in front of me, slowed down to get behind me and pulled me over.
Here's my question:
He said my headlights were a blue color...they're cheap APC HID-look lights... If I get PIAA "X-Treme WHITES", am I gonna get pulled over for that?

that's the risk you take w/ aftermarket "blue/hyperwhite" bulbs. most have disclaimers for offroad only or not dot compliant. there are a few brand that state they are legal, but you'll have to check around.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:34 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Just joined the Pulled over club... Drove by a Cop... he ran the red light , followed, and proceeded to write a ticket for no front license plate. He was going to give me one for tint too, until he saw my NYPD shield on the dash. I told him most of my friends are "On the Job".. so he said he would let me slide on that....
Old 08-27-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by asu174

Sorry bro...not true. Just red and blue last time I checked. Could have changed in the last 3 or 4 years but I doubt it....
I dunno bout that...I've asked 3 different cops and they said they weren't positive but they thought that they were all illegal except in private drives. I'd really like to find out where this law is written and i'd like to print it out so when i get my street glow and i get pulled over i'll just hand him the law. lol
Old 08-27-2002, 09:44 PM

freakin two parking tickets today!!! i was just goin to pickup a friend from work..i went inside..i come out..theres 2 tickets on my windshield..for parking in a no stopping and no front license plate displayed..
Old 08-27-2002, 09:53 PM

Wow, what a terrible day with cops for you all.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:58 PM

Yesturday I got pulled over for my stock HID's on my 2k2 and was issued a ticket for $110CAD!! I was lucky not to get a ticket for my front/rear clear corners and dark tints. I'm going to fight the ticket of course with proof from Nissan that they are stock lights.

As for underbody kits, when you guys say that they are legal in private lots, does that mean you can drive with them in parking lots or must your car be parked in order to use the lights?

Nathan
Old 08-28-2002, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

Yeah. He said I had blue HEADLIGHTS!!

...you know...those new Maxima squad cars...I can see how anyone would mistake blue headlights (which were actually purple/yellow) for flashing blue lights on top of a CROWN VICTORIA!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Tbirdrob, good to see a cop on the board. I got some questions. If I install my Whelen Police strobes on my Maxima and use it for show purpose, can I be ticketed? Like lets say I was in a parking lot, showing people the car, and I turn it on, can that be assumed by a cop as if I was trying to impersonate a officer?

How bad would it be if I turned it on while driving and a officer spotted me? Is the ticket bad?

What is this whole deal on underbody neons? I know it is huge in Miami and what not, Why is it soooo bad? Lets say I put on my old blue kit, im sure the officer will give me a ticket because blue is reserved color, what if I did white? would that be ok or is it still a problem due to the fact that they dont like underbody neons period?

Thanks
Dixit
The law in Florida prohibits any blue lights or any forward facing red lights. Any other lights should be O.K. It only applies if the lights are visible, so if you put blue strobes inside your corners, nobody will know until you turn them on. If you turn them on on the street, penalty would be a non-moving infraction unless you tried to pull somebody over. In that case, you would go to jail for a felony, and the police would own your car.

Again, this is all for FL--other states have different laws.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:06 AM

For my headlights!!

Here's my question:

Xtreme whites emit a real white light and look real white. So if the fact that they shouldn't look blue is the only qualification then probably not. However, none of the PIAA bulbs are DOT certified (except according to PIAA: "Platinum Series bulbs are SAE and DOT approved") therefore if a cop wants to pull you over and ticket you he can.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by max2001se

Xtreme whites emit a real white light and look real white. So if the fact that they shouldn't look blue is the only qualification then probably not. However, none of the PIAA bulbs are DOT certified (except according to PIAA: "Platinum Series bulbs are SAE and DOT approved") therefore if a cop wants to pull you over and ticket you he can.
Don't open your doors around the police. They'll put you in jail for impersonating an officer with those blue interior lights!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:18 AM

how bout BLUE HID's you know the 8000K kits sold everywhere. Are you telling me those are illegal as well?

raf... i noticed on the kamakazi kit there isnt a place u can place ur front license plate. im gonna try and make brackets for them if i get them from u.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: I Got Pulled Over!!

Don't open your doors around the police. They'll put you in jail for impersonating an officer with those blue interior lights!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:38 AM

For my headlights!!

Here's my question:

Mike--
You do kinda look like a cop though.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by buzek

Mike--
You do kinda look like a cop though.
shhh!
Old 08-28-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob

The law in Florida prohibits any blue lights or any forward facing red lights. Any other lights should be O.K. It only applies if the lights are visible, so if you put blue strobes inside your corners, nobody will know until you turn them on. If you turn them on on the street, penalty would be a non-moving infraction unless you tried to pull somebody over. In that case, you would go to jail for a felony, and the police would own your car.

Again, this is all for FL--other states have different laws.
Whoa police would own the car........ not worth it for sure.
Dixit
Old 08-28-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by redfly17
how bout BLUE HID's you know the 8000K kits sold everywhere. Are you telling me those are illegal as well?

raf... i noticed on the kamakazi kit there isnt a place u can place ur front license plate. im gonna try and make brackets for them if i get them from u.
i havent had any problems with it so far..ticketwise until the other day. the cop said that if i hadnt parked there...and parked at normal spot..he wouldnt have even saw that..even if he did..he prolly woulda just ignored it. lemme know when youre coming down..you get my pm from a couple days ago?? i30 guy hasnt responded yet..