5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 09:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

I have a 2001 Infiniti I30. I am hoping that since it is based on the Nissan that the wiring would be the same.

I wanted to upgrade to the OEM HIDs but the dealership said it is not possible due to the wiring in the car not being set up for this sort of thing.

I still think it should be possible with perhaps a wiring harness that adapts everything. FYI, the 2001 I30s have 9006 halogen bulbs.

Does anyone have some steps or information on this? Perhaps I can gain some pointers from the Nissan install? I tried the 2k2 HID installation link but it has been taken off.

It will cost me $1000 for used housings and equipment (no stolen stuff, all legit from a junk yard) and I don't want to jump into it if it is not possible.

Also, should I just trash the idea and get some PIAA Xtreme White 9006 bulbs? Are they just as good as HID?

Thank you for your help.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:12 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

soooo not true.. You do have to change the connectors, but thats not a big deal. HIDs will actually draw about 1/2 the power of your original lights. There is no downside.

Aside from the housing, burners and ballasts (usually sold together), you also need the connectors and a clip that snaps in under the lights. For the 2k2 conversion, it cost about 35 per side for all the connectors and clip.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:19 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

Originally posted by tholden1
I have a 2001 Infiniti I30. I am hoping that since it is based on the Nissan that the wiring would be the same.

I wanted to upgrade to the OEM HIDs but the dealership said it is not possible due to the wiring in the car not being set up for this sort of thing.

I still think it should be possible with perhaps a wiring harness that adapts everything. FYI, the 2001 I30s have 9006 halogen bulbs.

Does anyone have some steps or information on this? Perhaps I can gain some pointers from the Nissan install? I tried the 2k2 HID installation link but it has been taken off.

It will cost me $1000 for used housings and equipment (no stolen stuff, all legit from a junk yard) and I don't want to jump into it if it is not possible.

Also, should I just trash the idea and get some PIAA Xtreme White 9006 bulbs? Are they just as good as HID?

Thank you for your help.
Sorry for not getting back to your email, but I've been busy finishing my BassLink install(FINALLY done!) and getting ready for the long weekend.

Anyways, the I30s have dual bulb housings(a separate high and low beam bulb). Your LUCKY! You can just buy a 9006 HID conversion kit and you'll still have your high beams. NO NEED TO SWAP HOUSINGS!

Some of the more inexpensive kits are around $400(Click Here), but the best kits are BELLOF(Click Here). I'd just search in the classifieds section or google once you find which name brand kit your after.

BTW, PIAA are for color and HIDs are for seeing VERY well at night. Once you go HID, you'll never go back to halogens!
Old 08-30-2002, 07:06 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

Originally posted by IceY2K1

BTW, PIAA are for color and HIDs are for seeing VERY well at night. Once you go HID, you'll never go back to halogens!
Very true. Halogen lights look so dim now.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Very true. Halogen lights look so dim now.
I can't stand driving my Sentra at night. I keep checking to see if the headlights are on.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

I can't stand driving my Sentra at night. I keep checking to see if the headlights are on.
LOL, When I drive my wifes car, I have to turn on the brights to even come close to matching the "vision" of mine. So now at night if we have her car...she drives.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Help from HID 2001 re-wiring experts

I tried a 9006 conversion kit a while back and it projected light all over the place.

The downside to the conversion kit for my vehicle are two fold:

1. They are illegal. I could get ticketed for them plus the liability in an accident at night is greater.

2. The beam pattern is not correct since the reflectors in my car are not made for the Xenon bulb. That is why I got so much stray light all over the place when I tried one.

If I buy the housing then it would be a HID reflector and a HID housing thus making it legal. Plus, it should match OEM exactly. The overall pricing of it turns out to be about $1000 used. It is more than the retrofit but overall it seems like a better solution.

Now if I can just find someone that is kind enough to Email me the steps to retrofiting the lights on a Nissan I can compare that to my car and see if I have the same setup (wiring).

Sorry for not getting back to your email, but I've been busy finishing my BassLink install(FINALLY done!) and getting ready for the long weekend.

Anyways, the I30s have dual bulb housings(a separate high and low beam bulb). Your LUCKY! You can just buy a 9006 HID conversion kit and you'll still have your high beams. NO NEED TO SWAP HOUSINGS!

Some of the more inexpensive kits are around $400(Click Here), but the best kits are BELLOF(Click Here). I'd just search in the classifieds section or google once you find which name brand kit your after.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the reply. Retrofit kits always say stuff about the wiring it the car not set up properly (guage, etc.) for the intial voltage draw of an HID ballast and that the car wiring could melt. They use custom-made harnasses with their own relay, fuse, and connectors that clip directly to the battery.

I don't have the instructions to know for sure but did you have to construct your own harness and clip it directly to the battery?

I assume that the socket from the HIDs wouldn't just plug in directly to the car's factory harness.

Originally posted by TimW
soooo not true.. You do have to change the connectors, but thats not a big deal. HIDs will actually draw about 1/2 the power of your original lights. There is no downside.

Aside from the housing, burners and ballasts (usually sold together), you also need the connectors and a clip that snaps in under the lights. For the 2k2 conversion, it cost about 35 per side for all the connectors and clip.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:42 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

current draw? no, the high current is between your ballast and burner. Your harness is going to see 35W, about 1/2 what you had before.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Man, I am right on the edge of buying these things. I envy you. I got a chance to drive a car with HIDs and they were MUCH better. They really helped my night driving.

The Infiniti dealerships don't know what to tell me except that they don't know if the swap-out will work but they will sell me some PIAA lights if I want. The only information I could find about putting these in my car that is even related (the 2k2 HID conversion) is being hidden due to all the criminals out there.

Without the help of you guys I would basically be on my own on this. I know based on what people have accomplished on this forum that this is possible with a Maxima. There isn't a great forum like this for the Infiniti. If I could compare the Maxima's wiring with mine then perhaps I could confirm it would work with mine as well.

Originally posted by TimW
current draw? no, the high current is between your ballast and burner. Your harness is going to see 35W, about 1/2 what you had before.