5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The truth about the injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:47 PM

if you don't have a heavy foot(like most wives don't have), then they won't be able to hear the intake, i mean you hear it only when you go over 40% of gas...you hear that AWESOME growl(cant wait to get a midpipe)
Old 09-05-2002, 03:36 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Virus
I don't see any for 2k2 auto's?
Its the same model number for both. Injen has approved it to fit the 2k2 auto but Adventon hasn't updated there site
Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

Its the same model number for both. Injen has approved it to fit the 2k2 auto but Adventon hasn't updated there site
Actually, when I ordered mine I called "Phillip" at Injen to confirm it would fit on autos and he told me it was only guaranteed for 6-speeds. To my delight however it does fit, and there was even mention in the instructions about installation with atuo transmissions. It is now in fact listed on Injen.com that autos are fully supported.

OT: Blu I bought a B&M 264 tranny cooler that should go on tonight, doesn't look it will have any problem fitting in between the grill and the radiator.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:42 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by soopermax02

Actually, when I ordered mine I called "Phillip" at Injen to confirm it would fit on autos and he told me it was only guaranteed for 6-speeds. To my delight however it does fit, and there was even mention in the instructions about installation with atuo transmissions. It is now in fact listed on Injen.com that autos are fully supported.

OT: Blu I bought a B&M 264 tranny cooler that should go on tonight, doesn't look it will have any problem fitting in between the grill and the radiator.
I did the same via e-mail and got a response saying they fitted it on the auto and it works. The next day I ordered it . Give me the link to the tranny cooler once you install it with no fittment issues. thanks Matt
Old 09-05-2002, 09:20 AM

test?

has anyone dynoed or ran their car at the track with and without this CAI? I'd like to see some numbers
Old 09-05-2002, 09:25 AM

Re: test?

Originally posted by T-bone
has anyone dynoed or ran their car at the track with and without this CAI? I'd like to see some numbers
Injen claims a dyno'ed 2k2 6 speed had a 13 HP increase. Some on the org question the validity of the test, as apparently it was done in 3rd gear (not the optimum choice).

My butt dyno claims 10hp.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:10 AM

just a thought...can you put the stillen cone filter on the injen instead of the one they give you?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:27 AM

420max i believe is in the process of setting up a group deal.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:04 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: test?

"question the validity" means it would have been more or less hp in the "optimum gear"?

Originally posted by soopermax02

Injen claims a dyno'ed 2k2 6 speed had a 13 HP increase. Some on the org question the validity of the test, as apparently it was done in 3rd gear (not the optimum choice).

My butt dyno claims 10hp.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: test?

I don't know how accurate my 'butt dyno' is, but I would agree with Injen on the 13+ hp. The power increase may seem insignificant, but the main thing I've noticed is the throttle response, and the new-found willingness for the engine to rev. I've got a 2K2 auto, and when 3K comes up on the tach, the beast is unleashed. I scared the crap out of a few people as I floored it passing by. I just love how you can't tell it's even there until you punch it. My wife has yet to notice.

The install went very smoothly. It took me about 2 hours, and this was the first I've ever worked on any of my cars. (besides the FSTB and RSB I installed last week). The workmanship of the parts is hands down the best I've seen. It really looks nice under the hood.

I picked mine up from Adventon.com, (actually drove down there to save the $15 shipping) and they were great to work with. They have the best price around. I would recommend them highly.

Based on the location of the filter, I don't see any issues with it getting wet under normal rainy conditions. You'd have to really submerse your car under 2.5' of water to get it wet.

I'll try and get some sound recordings of the car under 'normal' driving conditions and under 'A$$ whooping' conditions to compare.

Anyhow... I would strongly recommend this mod to anyone who is even the slightest bit timid about modding their car. (like me)
Old 09-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
I don't know how accurate my 'butt dyno' is, but I would agree with Injen on the 13+ hp. The power increase may seem insignificant, but the main thing I've noticed is the throttle response, and the new-found willingness for the engine to rev. I've got a 2K2 auto, and when 3K comes up on the tach, the beast is unleashed. I scared the crap out of a few people as I floored it passing by. I just love how you can't tell it's even there until you punch it. My wife has yet to notice.

The install went very smoothly. It took me about 2 hours, and this was the first I've ever worked on any of my cars. (besides the FSTB and RSB I installed last week). The workmanship of the parts is hands down the best I've seen. It really looks nice under the hood.

I picked mine up from Adventon.com, (actually drove down there to save the $15 shipping) and they were great to work with. They have the best price around. I would recommend them highly.

Based on the location of the filter, I don't see any issues with it getting wet under normal rainy conditions. You'd have to really submerse your car under 2.5' of water to get it wet.

I'll try and get some sound recordings of the car under 'normal' driving conditions and under 'A$$ whooping' conditions to compare.

Anyhow... I would strongly recommend this mod to anyone who is even the slightest bit timid about modding their car. (like me)
very nice.. can't wait for the GD on the CAI ...
so u don't have any prob. yet with engine light coming on or anything right? and how did it fit on ur 2002 auto? b/c some people said it rubb against other parts little.... thanks
Old 09-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question with how much the intakes lower miles per gallon, since one guy in his post mentioned it but i am not clear on it. Just wondering if change is noticable? Thanks
Old 09-05-2002, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

[B

[/B]

and when you do record this puppy, make sure you do it from inside the cabin so that it's representative of what the driver will hear.

I HAVE heard this thing and it's sounds nicey nice
Old 09-05-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

Originally posted by ][ 35

very nice.. can't wait for the GD on the CAI ...
so u don't have any prob. yet with engine light coming on or anything right? and how did it fit on ur 2002 auto? b/c some people said it rubb against other parts little.... thanks
I handled the MAF with kid gloves (even put it inside a 1-gallon ziplock bag while it was disconnected). You also have to remember to disconnect the negative terminal to the battery, otherwise, you will get the SES light. As far as fitment on the auto... it's a bit tricky to get the filter to sit away from the auto tranny cable, but it's do-able. You just have to play with the spacing between pipes on the upper assembly to give yourself about 1" clearance on the bottom.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:11 PM
It's chrome alright...

I think he was saying it lowered his MPG because he floored it more now to hear the intake... if you don't change how you drive it shouldn't change your mileage at all.

Originally posted by korasick
I have a question with how much the intakes lower miles per gallon, since one guy in his post mentioned it but i am not clear on it. Just wondering if change is noticable? Thanks
Old 09-05-2002, 01:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

Originally posted by T-bone

and when you do record this puppy, make sure you do it from inside the cabin so that it's representative of what the driver will hear.

I HAVE heard this thing and it's sounds nicey nice
I am going to get 3 recordings from the drivers seat. One with windows up. One with windows down. One with windows down going through a tunnel.

I'll do it this weekend and post.

CAN'T WAIT
Old 09-05-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I think he was saying it lowered his MPG because he floored it more now to hear the intake... if you don't change how you drive it shouldn't change your mileage at all.

It was I who said that, and that's correct in why it went down!

I'm running about 22MPG.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

I handled the MAF with kid gloves (even put it inside a 1-gallon ziplock bag while it was disconnected). You also have to remember to disconnect the negative terminal to the battery, otherwise, you will get the SES light. As far as fitment on the auto... it's a bit tricky to get the filter to sit away from the auto tranny cable, but it's do-able. You just have to play with the spacing between pipes on the upper assembly to give yourself about 1" clearance on the bottom.
I was also careful with the MAF - and I never disconnected it. I also didn't disconnect the battery. You don't need to as long as you keep your keys away from the ignition. You are absolutely right about the filter and the tranny cable. A little adjusting of the upper and a little flex on the downpipe mount kept mine a good 1" from the cable.
No SES or problems (desperately looking around for some wood type product).

Shaydz
Old 09-05-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

Originally posted by Shaydz

I was also careful with the MAF - and I never disconnected it. I also didn't disconnect the battery. You don't need to as long as you keep your keys away from the ignition. You are absolutely right about the filter and the tranny cable. A little adjusting of the upper and a little flex on the downpipe mount kept mine a good 1" from the cable.
No SES or problems (desperately looking around for some wood type product).

Shaydz
okay i'm new to this modding world or looking under the car..
so how does the tranny cable look alike?
and can someone with no experience in car do this? or should i have it done by autoshop... i shopped around and they were saying it will cost about 150 to 200 just to install it... that is crazy... that is why i'm trying to do it myself so for people who don't know too much about car is is doable job?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:29 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

If you own a screw driver and ratchet set, you can do it. It's a basic "unscrew this, put that on, tighten those clamps" install.

Search for instructions Someone just posted a very good write-up with multiple pictures. Do not pay someone $200 (unless it's me - where do you live?).

Also, I have no idea what the tranny cable looks like but basically you don't want the intake pipe rubbing on anything. If it's rubbing, that's the tranny cable... adjust until it doesn't rub.

edit: here's one write-up
http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/ColdAir.htm

and can someone with no experience in car do this? or should i have it done by autoshop... i shopped around and they were saying it will cost about 150 to 200 just to install it... that is crazy... that is why i'm trying to do it myself so for people who don't know too much about car is is doable job?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:41 PM
Pointy Elbows

2k-2k1

Originally posted by krazyd

INJEN RACE DIVISION AIR INTAKE for 00-01 NISSAN MAXIMA SE ALL (POLISH) >> $225.29 Each
Anyone install the CAI on their 2k-2k1 5spds? Is the install just about the same as with the 2k2-2k3s? No problems? It seems like just about everyone that posted has a 2k2. Right now I have the Berk Tuning intake (no midpipe, just cone) that I bought from Cobymoby for like $50 or something. Should the Injen improve alot over the Berk?

Is someone really going to start a GD anytime soon? If not, I'll just buy it from adventon.com.

Thanks guys,
J.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: 2k-2k1

Originally posted by 00MaxSE

Anyone install the CAI on their 2k-2k1 5spds? Is the install just about the same as with the 2k2-2k3s? No problems? It seems like just about everyone that posted has a 2k2. Right now I have the Berk Tuning intake (no midpipe, just cone) that I bought from Cobymoby for like $50 or something. Should the Injen improve alot over the Berk?

Is someone really going to start a GD anytime soon? If not, I'll just buy it from adventon.com.

Thanks guys,
J.
there is GD going on right now... that is what i'm waiting for also.. it should be a great price... well atleast i hope so.. :-)
Old 09-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Re: 2k-2k1

I can't decide if I want the polished or the red intake. Does anyone have pics of the red?

Old 09-05-2002, 07:22 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: 2k-2k1

or did you mean installed?

Originally posted by 00MaxSE
I can't decide if I want the polished or the red intake. Does anyone have pics of the red?

Old 09-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k-2k1

or did you mean installed?

Nope, that's good enough for me. Thanks! I think I'll go for the red one. I want to keep the color scheme I have going under the hood.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

First of all DO NOT hire someone to do this.
It is really easy - just be careful with all the screws and such, save every piece, and go slow. If you hire someone and see what they do for $150, you'll be ****ed.
Now about the tranny cable:
OK, OK, so I ran out took a picture , hosted it and here it is.
You can see the accordian looking thing next to the filter.
You want at least that gap between them:

Shaydz
Old 09-05-2002, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test?

First of all DO NOT hire someone to do this.
It is really easy - just be careful with all the screws and such, save every piece, and go slow. If you hire someone and see what they do for $150, you'll be ****ed.
Now about the tranny cable:
OK, OK, so I ran out took a picture , hosted it and here it is.
You can see the accordian looking thing next to the filter.
You want at least that gap between them:

Shaydz
ohh nice... thanks alot shaydz.... now i understand more when people talk about rubbing against it.... thanks alot...
pictures does say 1000 words.... :-) thanks again...
Old 09-05-2002, 10:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have driven 3 cars with Injen'.. and my car on a daily basis. I cant justify telling you guys to fork out the extra $$ for it. If you feel it will do better go for it ! The only thing that counts is what you feel... I myself am hooked on Franken - Berk... SR20 ran a 12.9 with a home made intake... and 14.2 NA !.. I ran 12's in my stang with a stock intake !
Old 09-05-2002, 10:54 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by kloogy
SR20 ran a 12.9 with a home made intake... and 14.2 NA
Am I reading this right? With no mods besides the intake he went from 14.2 to 12.9? Or was there something else that was added along with the custom intake?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:06 PM

Am I reading this right? With no mods besides the intake he went from 14.2 to 12.9? Or was there something else that was added along with the custom intake?
Yeah, NOS
Old 09-05-2002, 11:07 PM

You didn't notice the "NA" after the 14.2? You even quoted it...
NA: Naturally Aspirated
He hit the 12.9 on the "happy" juice.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:37 PM
It's chrome alright...

yes I quoted it because his post implied he went from 14.2 NA to 12.9 with an intake. Where is NOS mentioned in that post? And if he added NOS and the intake, WTF does it have to do with the cost/performance of an injen?

He's saying injen isn't worth the cost, then quotes NOS times to prove it? I went from 16.2 to 14.2... oh yeah, that was when I sold my ford F-150 and bought a 2k2 Max

Originally posted by 8702

You didn't notice the "NA" after the 14.2? You even quoted it...
NA: Naturally Aspirated
He hit the 12.9 on the "happy" juice.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:40 PM

no one have give me a dyno on the injen... i dont want claims... let me see the real dyno...
Old 09-06-2002, 06:23 AM

yes I quoted it because his post implied he went from 14.2 NA to 12.9 with an intake. Where is NOS mentioned in that post? And if he added NOS and the intake, WTF does it have to do with the cost/performance of an injen?
Kloogy's point is that SR20DEN ran a 14.2 with homemade intake, which is faster than most everybody with injen. He just added the 12.9 as an aside. If you were more familiar with the players involved, you would know about SR20DEN's NOS.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by SEturner
Kloogy's point is that SR20DEN ran a 14.2 with homemade intake, which is faster than most everybody with injen. He just added the 12.9 as an aside. If you were more familiar with the players involved, you would know about SR20DEN's NOS.
Which still negates the point of this discussion, we're trying to compare runs w/ and w/o intakes. Not w/ intake and runs w/ intake + NOS as that makes the comparison invalid.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by soundmike

Which still negates the point of this discussion, we're trying to compare runs w/ and w/o intakes. Not w/ intake and runs w/ intake + NOS as that makes the comparison invalid.
But it does compare in a way, homemade intake versus $200 Injen intake
Old 09-06-2002, 07:07 AM
Blu
the tits

Just to clear a few thing up here. SR ran a 14.1 with an intake and a UDP. But there is another mod everyone is forgetting and its called slicks. Now I know SR and he is a great driver but all this comparison over intake is stupid. I bought the injen because or great looks and very well designed fits like a glove. Some people would rather have a CAI than a WAI. I personally just liked the look and knew the gains were there so I bought the injen. It seems everyone on here tries to fight so hard saying what they have is best. I'm not just stating facts. Matt ran the best N/A time with a $25 ebay intake so if I am understanding this thread right then why pay $125-$150 for and frankencar or frankenberk when you can get one off ebay for $25 with the same gains as your berk. The reason I bought the injen was b/c of looks and its out of the engine bay and a great manufacture. I am not saying its the best b/c I know it probably doesn't gain anymore than a berk or frankencar so I wonder if I will get flamed now
Old 09-06-2002, 07:34 AM

FLAME, FLAME, FLame

J/K. I agree with you Matt except I think the CAI in general, or maybe it's the long down tube creating a smooth vortex or whatever has other advantages over the short HAI's like the Pop charger, etc.
It's the way the engine adjusts to it. - Throttle response, taking RPM's to line on Auto shifts, and I think a big HP gain is to be expected when the weather is colder. The engine bay isn't going to cool down that much, but the engine is going to love that cold ambient air coming in. I didn't have a frankencar, or Berk or anything on before the Injen, but from the past 1000 or so posts I've read on this board and Max-world.org, I think the physics prove it out. Whatta ya think? I value your opinion, opinionated as it is (hehehe). I guess we'll see in Oct anyway how these do in colder weather.

Shaydz
Old 09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: FLAME, FLAME, FLame

yup I believe the injen will shine in cooler weatherI know a CAI is good for something b/c the blown guys gain 1-2 psi from just a CAI. Man i wanna be blown one day

J/K. I agree with you Matt except I think the CAI in general, or maybe it's the long down tube creating a smooth vortex or whatever has other advantages over the short HAI's like the Pop charger, etc.
It's the way the engine adjusts to it. - Throttle response, taking RPM's to line on Auto shifts, and I think a big HP gain is to be expected when the weather is colder. The engine bay isn't going to cool down that much, but the engine is going to love that cold ambient air coming in. I didn't have a frankencar, or Berk or anything on before the Injen, but from the past 1000 or so posts I've read on this board and Max-world.org, I think the physics prove it out. Whatta ya think? I value your opinion, opinionated as it is (hehehe). I guess we'll see in Oct anyway how these do in colder weather.

Shaydz
Old 09-06-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: Re: FLAME, FLAME, FLame

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
yup I believe the injen will shine in cooler weatherI know a CAI is good for something b/c the blown guys gain 1-2 psi from just a CAI. Man i wanna be blown one day

Gotta get another girlfiend first.

At least you have a start for a list of personality traits to look for...hehehe.

On Topic - Are you seeing the same rev to redline between shifts.
I just hit the 500 mile mark since the intake and this morning it seems the car just wants to GO! Even without getting on it. I'm not used to this throttle response. It just keeps getting better (as the ECU adjusts I think).

Shaydz

Quick Reply: The truth about the injen CAI