5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

And some people think the Max is ugly...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 01:32 PM

And some people think the Max is ugly...

But have you seen the new Accord in person? It has a Civic like front end, and a big ol' back end with little lights. 240 hp or not, I am keeping the Max!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 PM

I walked into a honda dealer late last night, those 03 accord sedans are very ugly, worst than the pilot IMHO.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: And some people think the Max is ugly...

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
But have you seen the new Accord in person? It has a Civic like front end, and a big ol' back end with little lights. 240 hp or not, I am keeping the Max!
4 door is ugly...but the 2 door looks HOT!!

I walked into a honda dealer late last night, those 03 accord sedans are very ugly, worst than the pilot IMHO.
Pilot is nothing more than a CR-V on steriods..
Old 09-19-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: And some people think the Max is ugly...

Originally posted by irvine78

4 door is ugly...but the 2 door looks HOT!!

Or an MDX on crack.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:15 PM

Typical Honda styling, boring. But conservative styling sells (in some markets). I never liked any of the Accords except that last coupe they did with the NSX style tailights. That was a sharp Accord.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

again another car that is F'ugly
Old 09-19-2002, 03:33 PM
I miss the .org!

I saw an 02 Accord sedan on the road the other day...ugh...
Old 09-19-2002, 04:51 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

wow! i can already see the 20 foot wings, rice rocket kits., ugly *** altezzas, dropped to the ground, and deafening annoying exhausts

=[
Old 09-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I built one online, expensive too!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:36 PM

Max still the King!

Too bad for the poor Accord. All those ponies at such a high RPM, no torque, and best of all, no 6spd with the 4 door.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:15 PM

Re: And some people think the Max is ugly...

The '03 Accord 4-door has VERY boring exterior styling. The 2-door coupe is a bit better, but what's with those Mercedes rip-off tail-lights?

But I'd rather have the '03 Accord than the Toyota Camry. Now that is an ugly car. It looks like a huge whale on wheels, and the Lexus ES-300 treatment doesn't make it much better.

Unfortunately, because of marketing, past history, and overall build quality, the new Accord and Camry will probably wipe out the Altima and Maxima in overall sales.

But for me, the Altima has both of those cars beat in many ways...and the Maxima blows them all away.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by KennyLau
Unfortunately, because of marketing, past history, and overall build quality, the new Accord and Camry will probably wipe out the Altima and Maxima in overall sales.
Fortunately, there aren't so many copies on the street which make our max unique!!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:30 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

<===Ready to smoke the first POS 2K3 Accord that pulls up... Just anoother glorified ricer !
Old 09-19-2002, 11:31 PM
BugNout

Originally posted by kloogy
<===Ready to smoke the first POS 2K3 Accord that pulls up... Just anoother glorified ricer !
Good luck! With those 19's it should be interesting.

Old 09-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BugNout

Good luck! With those 19's it should be interesting.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:20 AM
OG and counting...

I just saw one on the street and I swear that thing looks like a Saab from the back with old Buick Taillights and they tried to rip off the Altima's front end.

Translation: fugly as hell. I like my 5th Gen Max.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:37 AM

Too bad Honda didn't make the car better looking ALONG WITH the added power.

Face it; if Honda made a good-looking Accord with 255 hp and 250ish lb/ft of torque, a LOT of Max owners would switch. (Whether or not they would admit it, is another story).
Old 09-20-2002, 09:41 AM

My wife saw one at a stop light and said, "ewwww. What car is that? It's ugly".
Old 09-20-2002, 09:44 AM
jjs

Originally posted by BlackMax2k1
I built one online, expensive too!
True! Surprising....
Old 09-20-2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by jjames
Too bad Honda didn't make the car better looking ALONG WITH the added power.

Face it; if Honda made a good-looking Accord with 255 hp and 250ish lb/ft of torque, a LOT of Max owners would switch. (Whether or not they would admit it, is another story).
To be honest most Max shoppers donot cross shop the Accord, Different market and income brackets. The new Accord is hideous, I still think the 94-95 Accord EX are the best looking ones it still looks fresh, the 90-93EX isnt bad as well.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

you could say the same thing about Ford's SUV's

has anyone seen the accord they sell in Europe? It was in a magazine a while back (C & D?); that's the best looking accord I've seen yet.

what is an accord?
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=accord

Old 09-20-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Max still the King!

Too bad for the poor Accord. All those ponies at such a high RPM, no torque, and best of all, no 6spd with the 4 door.
You haven't test driven a new Accord V6 have you? The new accord has a much wider power band with more low-end torque plus a new 5 speed auto instead of the maxima's 4 speed auto. They are very fast. I have rented the 2002 Maxima SE and it is not faster than the new Accord V6. To bad for the Maxima
Old 09-20-2002, 12:16 PM

I didn't see a 6 speed on the honda site.

Also it seems the manual only comes on the 4 banger. ?
Old 09-20-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
more like glorified buick!!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
I didn't see a 6 speed on the honda site.

Also it seems the manual only comes on the 4 banger. ?
Click on the Accord sedan or coupe. The sixes are in the last column, and the coupe has a 6spd available later.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Max still the King!

Originally posted by J30A1
You haven't test driven a new Accord V6 have you? The new accord has a much wider power band with more low-end torque plus a new 5 speed auto instead of the maxima's 4 speed auto. They are very fast. I have rented the 2002 Maxima SE and it is not faster than the new Accord V6. To bad for the Maxima
The new Accord V6 doesn't have **** off the line vs. an Altima SE auto or a 2k2 Max auto. From a roll it will be much more dangerous. Still the same peaky narrow powerband top-end, and still the comlete total utter lack of any low-end power to get the car moving.

Honda dyno chart from www.hondanews.com
Stock Altima dyno graph (corrected back to crank by me, 0.833 correction factor) from www.nissanperformancemag.com
Old 09-24-2002, 03:29 PM
I miss the .org!

I've now seen 3 of these on the road now...blech...
Front of an Insight, back of an Odyssey...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:22 PM

Not faster? I'd like to see the time slip for a car with such little torque.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:42 PM

I'd never consider to get a car if it's ugly, no matter how fast or cheap it is.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:43 PM

regardless of whether you like the car or not, its gonna sell. i'm seeing more 2k3 accord's on the street than i did 2k2 altima's this time last year. within a year, the streets are going to be flooded with new accords, its a fact. i hate the way the 4 door looks to (i like the 2 door though). but when all is said and done, the exec's at honda will have one of these faces while the people at nissan are doing this it sucks, nissan makes sweet cars, they never get the recognition in the market the way honda does, its lame.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:10 PM

That's a great reason to get myself a maxima. It makes me feel unique on the street. There are tons of camry and accord on the road which is really boring.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by slick
but when all is said and done, the exec's at honda will have one of these faces while the people at nissan are doing this it sucks, nissan makes sweet cars, they never get the recognition in the market the way honda does, its lame.
Its not lame at all. If Nissan made a car that is as good as Honda then Nissan would not have this problem. Just because some Hondas are slower then some Nissans does not make the Honda a worse car and it seems like alot of the Nissan owners feel like their cars are superior just because they are faster.......but the guys who think that are very wrong. You can't sell 400,000+ Altima's when the interior looks like a ford and the torque steer is uncontrollable. That is just the start of Nissan's misfortunes. Honda is not perfect and they have issues too so don't flame.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:10 PM

Its not lame at all. If Nissan made a car that is as good as Honda then Nissan would not have this problem. Just because some Hondas are slower then some Nissans does not make the Honda a worse car and it seems like alot of the Nissan owners feel like their cars are superior just because they are faster.......but the guys who think that are very wrong. You can't sell 400,000+ Altima's when the interior looks like a ford and the torque steer is uncontrollable. That is just the start of Nissan's misfortunes. Honda is not perfect and they have issues too so don't flame.
i'm not flaming, i'm jut saying that nissan makes cars that are on the same tier as honda, yet they dont sell nearly the same amount as honda. yes, the altima interior does have a cheap feel and look to it, but that certainly can't be the reason they're not selling well.
i am with you on the issue that just because a car is faster than another, it doesn't mean that its better.
the pre-2k3 accord had a boring look to it, just like the camry, yet they sold like crazy. then we have funky, odd ball cars like the pt cruiser and the beetle, and they sell well also. thats why i dont get it when decent cars made by nissan, like altima and maxima, dont sell well. i just dont see that much difference in the cars made by honda and nissan to justify all the great honda sales and the dismale nissan sales.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by slick

i'm not flaming, i'm jut saying that nissan makes cars that are on the same tier as honda, yet they dont sell nearly the same amount as honda. yes, the altima interior does have a cheap feel and look to it, but that certainly can't be the reason they're not selling well.
i am with you on the issue that just because a car is faster than another, it doesn't mean that its better.
the pre-2k3 accord had a boring look to it, just like the camry, yet they sold like crazy. then we have funky, odd ball cars like the pt cruiser and the beetle, and they sell well also. thats why i dont get it when decent cars made by nissan, like altima and maxima, dont sell well. i just dont see that much difference in the cars made by honda and nissan to justify all the great honda sales and the dismale nissan sales.
I see what you are saying, But if Nissan wants to sell as many cars as Honda then they would have to convert their whole identity. Nissan has an identity more for sporty cars and Honda has an identity of reliability, practicality and value. There is just more of a market for Honda cars. People who buy Nissans and people who buy Honda's are looking for different features and abilities in cars. Thats why I bought my Honda and why you bought your Nissan. However I do like the Maxima and that is why I am registered here even though I own an Accord.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Actually, Toyota still has the identity edge over Honda when it comes to "reliability, practicality and value". (But Honda is a close second.) As an owner of a 6th gen Accord AND a 2K2 Maxima, I can speak from both sides of the fence.

If the 6th gen Accord was offered with the J32A2 (260hp/232lb-ft tq) motor, I may have opted to get this over my Maxima. I DO feel that Hondas pack better quality Nissans. However, I knew this when I got the Max. The Maxima's personality (aka performance) and presence (aka good looks) allowed me to overlook it slight quality shortcomings. To date, I've gotten more compliments about the Maxima (in only 6 months of ownership) than I ever did about my 99 Accord.

As for the performance of the 7th gen Accord vs a 2K2/3 Max, the moment I see a stock 4dr V6 auto Accord run anywhere near the 14.725ET I ran, you're statement ("I have rented the 2002 Maxima SE and it is not faster than the new Accord V6.") will have some merit. Until then, we're still comparing apples with oranges.

Peace.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:30 PM

I see what you are saying, But if Nissan wants to sell as many cars as Honda then they would have to convert their whole identity. Nissan has an identity more for sporty cars and Honda has an identity of reliability, practicality and value. There is just more of a market for Honda cars. People who buy Nissans and people who buy Honda's are looking for different features and abilities in cars. Thats why I bought my Honda and why you bought your Nissan. However I do like the Maxima and that is why I am registered here even though I own an Accord.
i guess you are right, i look at nissan's and think "sporty" while i look at some honda's and think "practical".

***the following statement has NO basis behind it***

i think, even though honda's are percieved to be reliable, practical cars, nissan sales should be higher than what i believe they are.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:46 PM

Oh well that settles it doesnt it? YOU rented one and now can absolutely say that the new Accord is quicker than a Maxima...same ole lame stuff from honda owners.....or wanna be's or whatever.....be sure you line that new accord up next to a 6spd 2K2 or 3 Maxima when/if you get it......
Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Max still the King!

Originally posted by JAKE02

Oh well that settles it doesnt it? YOU rented one and now can absolutely say that the new Accord is quicker than a Maxima...same ole lame stuff from honda owners.....or wanna be's or whatever.....be sure you line that new accord up next to a 6spd 2K2 or 3 Maxima when/if you get it......
Yes it does settle it for me. I did not say the Accord was quicker then the Maxima but I did say the Maxima did not feel faster. They are very close and I could not tell which one was faster.

I would be happy to line up against a 6spd Max or 5spd altima. I don't care whether I win or lose I just want to see the outcome!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The Maxima you rented was almost certainly running 87 octane instead of the required 91+. VQ's do NOT run right on 87 and will take a big performance hit. Unless you ran the tank down to empty and filled it up with premium yourself, I can pretty much guarantee that it did not have the right gas in it. And yes, it DOES make a difference
Old 09-26-2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
The Maxima you rented was almost certainly running 87 octane instead of the required 91+. VQ's do NOT run right on 87 and will take a big performance hit. Unless you ran the tank down to empty and filled it up with premium yourself, I can pretty much guarantee that it did not have the right gas in it. And yes, it DOES make a difference
Well thats like saying the new Accord I test drove was not running on 91+ octane. You know with premium you get the extra 10hp and 10tq.

This Honda runs better on premium too ya know! Put premium in both cars and it still works the same!

Quick Reply: And some people think the Max is ugly...