5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Something my maxima has NEVER done:

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 06:03 PM
lcf

Something my maxima has NEVER done:

I haven't been on the .org much as of late, not by choice though. I'm nearly two months into school and schoolwork has become the full priority. Anyway, on the way home from visiting my girlfriend in chicago, about a 80 mile drive, the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. I got off at the next exit and looked under the hood. The day before, the Jiffy Lube guys gave me an oil change and I thought they might've put the air filter back in incorrectly or something. *shrug*

Well it appears that it's in there okay and nothing else seems to be wrong? Heh, like I'd know anyway...

I'm soooooooooooo busy this week with school, papers, and assignments... OMG, the worst timing I swear.

What could be the problem guys? Give me some hypothethicals... well, reasonable one's at least! It's a 2000 SE A/T with 50k and some change on it. Do you think it could be something to do with the full synthetic oil I had them put in instead of the usual cheapy blend stuff I get?

Bleh.

I appreciate all information you guys can offer!

Edit: Is it "safe" to drive for a week until I get can this thing into the dealer?
Old 09-22-2002, 06:12 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

first thing i would check is the gas cap. im guessing it wasnt a mass air flow sensor or you would not get above 2k rpms. next i would just take a look under the hood to look for any o2 sensor and such that may have been knocked loose. i dont think the oil would trigger a check engine light but some have had minor leaks putting synthetic with 50k plus miles. if you have a chance and if there is one in your area, swing by autozone and have them read the code for free, that way you can guaranteed to know what is causing it.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Sly

Without additional info it's hard to diagnose the problem. Have you been having any drivability issues? Fuel economy dropping? It could be something as simple as the gas cap not being put on tight enough (3 clicks minimum). If you never had the ECU updated, there were some problems with early build 2K's with the tolerances being to tight for emissions. You're O2 sensor could be failing. Autozone reads codes for free, get it read and cleared, if it comes back you have a real problem.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Maxma2k2

My SES light kept on coming on and Nissan kept on replacing th 02 sensor but that wasent the problem, The ECU just had to be reset!

Old 09-22-2002, 06:33 PM
lcf

Thanks for all the responses guys... to reply: I always triple lock my gas cap. I have had no driveability issues whatsoever. It suprised the heck out of me that the light came on. The only thing that had been done is the oil change at Jiffy Lube less than 20 hours prior. I wasn't trying to be a race car driver or anything either... I was on cruise driving between the lines like everyone else. It just suddenly came on and I saw it in my peripheral vision and I looked down and saw it.

I have an Autozone in my small town. Do all Autozone's do this? I'll have to check this out. I'm assuming since it's the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light, this is still under warranty with Nissan?

And about all the O2 Sensor business, I have no clue... I have a Berk intake but it has not yet been installed. Yeah, I know. It's been sitting in my bedroom since springtime!!
Old 09-22-2002, 07:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its mostly likely the o2. its covered under the 60K powertrain
Old 09-22-2002, 09:26 PM

yep...happened to me twice, take it to the dealer man, they'll fix it for free
Old 09-22-2002, 10:25 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Originally posted by Maxma2k2
My SES light kept on coming on and Nissan kept on replacing th 02 sensor but that wasent the problem, The ECU just had to be reset!
'00/01's are alittle different. When we throw the o2 code, it usually is. When you do, it can be alot of things, but usually a reflash of the ECU. 02's are pretty different animals.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey LCF....welcome back! u have been gone for a while....guess the school work really gets ur hands busy.

well, about the SES.....it can be a list of things that it detects. so drop by at local autozone and have them to pull the code for free. And in case of the O2 sensor....It can either be a busted sensor, which will alter ur fuel economy. Or, the dealer will have to reprogram the ECU for better exhaust flow.

how was the party last time?
Old 09-23-2002, 12:08 AM
lcf

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
hey LCF....welcome back! u have been gone for a while....guess the school work really gets ur hands busy.

well, about the SES.....it can be a list of things that it detects. so drop by at local autozone and have them to pull the code for free. And in case of the O2 sensor....It can either be a busted sensor, which will alter ur fuel economy. Or, the dealer will have to reprogram the ECU for better exhaust flow.

how was the party last time?
Word, I'm going to drop by Autozone tomorrow and have them pull the codes. I'll know for sure then... and about school. Hells yes, man. I'm busy as $@^!!! I took 3 semesters off a while back and I'm trying to graduate in 2 semesters this year!

Party? Do you mean PVD? It ROCKED man. I hadn't seen PVD since '99 at Twilo (R.I.P.) back in thaa day. I wasn't thoroughly impressed then but had a good time. But oh man, he rocked the show this second time around. The vibe was simply amazing. I had a great time, heh.

Dood, are you into house at all? Specifically... progressive house like John Digweed and Sander Kleinenberg? My girl and I went to see Sander Kleinenberg in August and he truly dazzled us. I highly recommend going to see him. You won't find as many n00bz around either because he plays out at 21+ clubs (most of the time). Definitely a great time. Tiesto is coming out our way in October and I already have tickets... that's about it. I do have about 5 n00bz who really want to go raving for their first time and asked me to be their guide. I'm quite excited about it. I haven't gone to one in a whileee. So I'm shopping around for a good one.

But yeah, man... all's I can say is my must-see-dj-live-before-i-get-too-old-and-quit-partying-list is getting smaller and smaller!

The woman and I are toying with the idea of a trip to Ibiza in the near future too!

Old 09-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey buddy....got ur code pulled? I am not that into house....I am more into trance and techno.....PVD, ATB, DJ mystic, etc....most of the good clubs here in the Bay Area are located in San Francisco, I dun go there that often now 'cause the drive is way too far. About 1 hour drive to the city for 1 way.....that means u will be out for at least 5 - 6hours...too crazy and too tired.

I was going to send u that track of PVD's live @ twilo and see if u going to know the title......I will get that out soon

alright man...ttyl...gotta go work, boss is here

Originally posted by lcf
Party? Do you mean PVD? It ROCKED man. I hadn't seen PVD since '99 at Twilo (R.I.P.) back in thaa day. I wasn't thoroughly impressed then but had a good time. But oh man, he rocked the show this second time around. The vibe was simply amazing. I had a great time, heh.

Dood, are you into house at all? Specifically... progressive house like John Digweed and Sander Kleinenberg? My girl and I went to see Sander Kleinenberg in August and he truly dazzled us. I highly recommend going to see him. You won't find as many n00bz around either because he plays out at 21+ clubs (most of the time). Definitely a great time. Tiesto is coming out our way in October and I already have tickets... that's about it. I do have about 5 n00bz who really want to go raving for their first time and asked me to be their guide. I'm quite excited about it. I haven't gone to one in a whileee. So I'm shopping around for a good one.

But yeah, man... all's I can say is my must-see-dj-live-before-i-get-too-old-and-quit-partying-list is getting smaller and smaller!

The woman and I are toying with the idea of a trip to Ibiza in the near future too!

Old 09-23-2002, 11:49 AM
lcf

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
hey buddy....got ur code pulled?
That is a negative. I dropped by there 30 minutes ago and they said they can't do it on imports? WTF?

*shrug*

I thought about asking them what they use to pull codes and all that but I didn't want to sound like a complete ignorant bastard (a stupid a$$), so I just said thanks anyway and left.

I guess I'm going to just take it into the dealer on Friday which is the only time I can drive down to SouthBend. Bleh.
I am not that into house....I am more into trance and techno.....PVD, ATB, DJ mystic, etc....most of the good clubs here in the Bay Area are located in San Francisco, I dun go there that often now 'cause the drive is way too far. About 1 hour drive to the city for 1 way.....that means u will be out for at least 5 - 6hours...too crazy and too tired.
Word, man. I live in southwest Michigan, practically on the Indiana border. It's about an hour and forty five minute drive to Chicago which is where I party. It's crazy. My girl goes to school in the city and that helps... but still. I hate driving so much.
I was going to send u that track of PVD's live @ twilo and see if u going to know the title......I will get that out soon
I might have the particuliar set you're talking about. Mine starts off with a girl singing... "La, la, la, la, la..." Heh. You could just tell me at what TIME the track you're talking about comes in? On the other hand, who knows how many live PVD sets from Twilo are floating around out there?!

BTW, if you don't have it already... a must have MP3 of PVD is:

paul van dyk - live @ rosenmontags rave

It's actually THREE CDs!! Three separate MP3s.
Peace.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:02 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

I dropped by there 30 minutes ago and they said they can't do it on imports?
I am truly amazed by how lazy some people are, but then again it is Autozone.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:16 PM
lcf

Okay guys, it's been a few weeks and I still have not been able to take my car in and have checked out. I've been on the .org a bit more lately and have been doing some research on O2 sensors. Wow, it was a huge PITA because search will not work for words smaller than 3 characters!

Anyway, I wanted to ask what to expect when I take my car in. Theyre going to pull the codes and charge me how much????

Tim, you're positive O2 sensors are covered under the powertrain warranty??? I've seen some posts where .org members were saying it wasn't covered!!

This is BS, man, how the hell does something like this just drop dead on a car that has almost ALWAYS had 93 octane gas and has been pampered to death?!?!

Old 10-29-2002, 09:40 PM

LCF, the same thing happened to me right the same day before I was going to install my Berk, and it was right after an oil change! I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery for a night, and next morning the light was gone! No explanation for this, but might as well try it, too.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:47 AM
The Definitive AE Master

the autozones near my house say they do NOT pull codes whatsoever at all anymore
Old 10-30-2002, 07:08 AM
lcf

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
LCF, the same thing happened to me right the same day before I was going to install my Berk, and it was right after an oil change! I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery for a night, and next morning the light was gone! No explanation for this, but might as well try it, too.
Hm, well, the light did reset itself automatically when it cycled through. I guess whatever the problem was got stored and didn't show up again. But the light is now back on. This worries me! I think I'm going to have to take it in...

Old 10-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by lcf

I can't believe I read a thread on here that mentioned Twilo (R.I.P.) I had so many good times in that club.

I'm also looking at a trip to Ibiza, man talk about a party!!!!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:09 AM
I am Roid Rage

Autozone can't pull codes for our cars. There meters aren't compatible (Spelling?). Check in the FAQ's at the top of the 4th gen forums. There's a link to a write-up on code pulling, no tools needed besides a flathead. I don't know if it works for the 5th gen, but its worth a try. BTW, I wouldn't reset the computer to get rid of the light. Find out what the problem is instead of ignoring it. You'll probably end up paying more in the long run. Best of luck to ya!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:35 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by Bluebird
Autozone can't pull codes for our cars. There meters aren't compatible (Spelling?). Check in the FAQ's at the top of the 4th gen forums. There's a link to a write-up on code pulling, no tools needed besides a flathead. I don't know if it works for the 5th gen, but its worth a try. BTW, I wouldn't reset the computer to get rid of the light. Find out what the problem is instead of ignoring it. You'll probably end up paying more in the long run. Best of luck to ya!
yea, that only works for 4th gens. 5th gens do not have the self diagnostic thing anymore
Old 10-30-2002, 09:45 AM
lcf

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I can't believe I read a thread on here that mentioned Twilo (R.I.P.) I had so many good times in that club.

I'm also looking at a trip to Ibiza, man talk about a party!!!!
Ibiza is no joke. It's a weekend EVERY SINGLE NIGHT OF THE WEEK! Worldclass DJs galore. I really need to go before I get too old to party like that. Heh.

Originally posted by Bluebird
Thanks for the info. I guess that self diag doesn't work on our 5th gen's and for sure I'm not going to ignore the problem whatever it is. I just hate it when the dealers make money off me.

yea, that only works for 4th gens. 5th gens do not have the self diagnostic thing anymore
Thanks for the input, Larrio.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:49 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by Larrio

That's what I get for trolling through the 5th gen forum. I'm just going to shut my mouth now.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:19 PM

lcf, what spec car do you have? California or Federal? I have a California spec and I don't think that the O2 sensors are covered after 50,000 miles. I had mine replaced and a month later the other went out (rear). I am going to have it replaced soon as they get the O2 sersor. Lucky for me they are keeping the paperwork open that way I can have my car for the time being. I have 7 miles to go before it hits 50K, so it will be covered regardless. I don't know if that is the case with the Federal emissions maximas (covered for 60k) In either case I hope it works out. They usually charge $70 dollars as an estimate just to check it out and then if it is not covered then that 70 goes into the labor part of the repair and part. So if the total is 100 you only owe 30 more. They have a TSB on O2 sensors, just in case you didn't know. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:33 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Menacer
lcf, what spec car do you have? California or Federal? I have a California spec and I don't think that the O2 sensors are covered after 50,000 miles. I had mine replaced and a month later the other went out (rear). I am going to have it replaced soon as they get the O2 sersor. Lucky for me they are keeping the paperwork open that way I can have my car for the time being. I have 7 miles to go before it hits 50K, so it will be covered regardless. I don't know if that is the case with the Federal emissions maximas (covered for 60k) In either case I hope it works out. They usually charge $70 dollars as an estimate just to check it out and then if it is not covered then that 70 goes into the labor part of the repair and part. So if the total is 100 you only owe 30 more. They have a TSB on O2 sensors, just in case you didn't know. Good luck.
My maxima is fed spec. Thanks for your post, man!!! It really helped out a lot!