5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H&Rs & Tokicos installed - now theres a rattle in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 05:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

H&Rs & Tokicos installed - now theres a rattle in the rear

This may have been discussed before. Sorry about not searching but for those with this setup...

1. is this intermittent rattle from the rear normal?

2. does it go away as the car "settles"?

By the way, the look is tight and the handling and stability is great!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: H&Rs & Tokicos installed - now theres a rattle in the rear

Originally posted by ripper
This may have been discussed before. Sorry about not searching but for those with this setup...

1. is this intermittent rattle from the rear normal?

2. does it go away as the car "settles"?

By the way, the look is tight and the handling and stability is great!
did you take the RSB off when you installed the springs and struts? i had an Addco RSB on my car and after i installed my springs the thing started squeeking like crazy. i think T-Bone had the same problem as well. for some reason when we lowered our cars it causes our RSB to squeek. i took mine off and greased it up a bit and put it back on. the squeeking is gone.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:38 AM

The noise sounds like it is coming from the upper mounts on the rear shocks. Not sure if he took of the Stillen RSB but my mechanic says he knows how to fix it.

We'll see.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 AM

The noise sounds like it is coming from the upper mounts on the rear shocks. Not sure if he took of the Stillen RSB but my mechanic says he knows how to fix it.

We'll see.
I played with my rsb like Newman advised, but the noise did not go away. I'm pretty sure the squeaking/moaning sound I am hearing is due to the fact that the springs were not wrapped in the plastic like the OEM springs. I am almost positive that the noise is the springs; hopefully wrapping them will make the sound subside. Let me know what you find out!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by T-bone

I played with my rsb like Newman advised, but the noise did not go away. I'm pretty sure the squeaking/moaning sound I am hearing is due to the fact that the springs were not wrapped in the plastic like the OEM springs. I am almost positive that the noise is the springs; hopefully wrapping them will make the sound subside. Let me know what you find out!
i haven't changed my springs, but i think i have read in a prior post that you're supposed to take the plastic off the OEM spring and put it on the aftermarket one.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:05 PM

No squeeks here
Old 09-24-2002, 04:13 PM

I got the car back last night and so far, no rattles. My mechanic sayst that the problem was that the H&R were short than the stock so he had to shave the spacers in the upper shock mounts to get the springs to seat properly.

He said that before he made the correction, could move the springs with your hand the car was on the lift with the wheels off the ground. He had to shave only a tiny bit off the upper shock mounts so there is no movement when the rear is not under load.

It sounds like it makes sense and there is no more rattle. I hope this helps someone.

Later
Old 09-24-2002, 06:18 PM

im thinking its just because the spring wasnt seated properly at first and when he put it on the lift he was able to seat it. i dont think she shaving was the solution. i say that because there is no need to shave anything on the car for H&Rs. no one has ever needed to do anything like that.

but whatever it was, im glad its fixed.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I got the car back last night and so far, no rattles. My mechanic sayst that the problem was that the H&R were short than the stock so he had to shave the spacers in the upper shock mounts to get the springs to seat properly.

He said that before he made the correction, could move the springs with your hand the car was on the lift with the wheels off the ground. He had to shave only a tiny bit off the upper shock mounts so there is no movement when the rear is not under load.

It sounds like it makes sense and there is no more rattle. I hope this helps someone.

Later
No, that doesn't make sense at all. Think about that for a minute. He said they were to short, then he tells you he shaved something. If the spring was to short he would have shimmed something, not shaved something.

What your mechanic most likely did was incorrectly put the assembly together after he installed your H&R's. I'm 100% sure he reversed the lower gromet and washer. Thats the most common mistake made on the rears and always produces a rattle.

He fixed his mistake, thats good, but he really didn't want to tell you he actually made a mistake in the first place.