5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got pulled this morning...long

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 11:48 AM

Got pulled this morning...long

Hi guys, this morning I was on my way to work, I was few hundreds yards from home when this police car plled me over, no big deal, the policeman wanted to give me ticket for my chromed licence plate cover , the policeman told me it is 138$ fine because the chrome thingy is partially covering the upper letter indicating the province of quebec on the licence plate, but the licence number are not cover at all. So I tell the cops a bit sarcasticaly that 138$ fine for such minor infraction sound like disproportionate, I told him I won the Discree World top reseller award and they gave me the nices chromes licence plate cover, in no case I was aware that it is illegal.

Anyway I decided to argue with the cops but politely without raising my voice or being agressive, so I gave him my driver licence, insurance paper and registration, he asked me to get off the car and remove the plate right away , I told him I have no tools with me, he insisted otherwise he would gave me the fine, I was like WTF, so I propose him that he accompagn me to my house which is few blocks away and I will remove it, then he goes in his car punch my info on the computer and came back to me a couple of minutes after and give me my paper back. Now he start arguing that my PowerTech muffler make noise and it was not original, so I told him that I had to replace the original muffler cuz it was ponctuate when I backed up in a huge block of ice during last winter .

I then told him that I bought th PT muffler on e-bay and the seller guaranteed me it was 52 states and canada's legal too, he then walked back to his car and let me go without any find.

To be honest the first comment that he made me showed me that he was looking for controversy, so that why I decided to stand my point but politely, 138$ fine for such infraction is ridiculus, and I guess because I am a clean citizen he backed off cuz I was ready to go to court and bring the judge a proof of my good faith.

Sometimes winning an award can bring you troubles, I would have shut up if he would have caught me driving 160 in a 100 zone, but in that case I politely stand my case and walk away with it.

Cheers

AA
Old 09-24-2002, 12:34 PM

man...some cops are just looking for trouble. But then again, most cops are pretty cool. I am happy to hear you got away without a fine. Now if I get pulled over, I know to act polite and accept any mistakes I did or argue on mistakes I didn't do.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your comments about good and bad cops are so true. This guy had nothing better to do than hassle you about something as trivial as a license plate frame! When you proposed to fix it on the spot, then he wants to fine you for your muffler! What a power tripping ****! He should be out there keeping the peace not harrassing innocent people. Hope you got his name and or car number. Remember, cops are people too and they should be held accountable for their behavior. Report him to his supervisor!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:10 PM

Well, the funniest thing happened to me yesterday, i got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt. I was so mad, but I kept my cool. Then the officer noticed the rear window tinted and asked me to roll up my window to see if it was tinted...and it wasn't (I was trying not to laff out loud) Anyways, I remained cool, he was trying to instigate something...but i didn't give. I just answered with a nod, no words were spoken by me. So today, you will not believe what happened...the officer called me at home and said today is my lucky day...he was calling to let me know he withdrew the ticket....I was like WTF? And all I said was "Thanks" and hung up. Why would he do that? I have been checking my ticket over and over to see if he made a mistake...and I can not find a thing!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:16 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by big h
Well, the funniest thing happened to me yesterday, i got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt. I was so mad, but I kept my cool. Then the officer noticed the rear window tinted and asked me to roll up my window to see if it was tinted...and it wasn't (I was trying not to laff out loud) Anyways, I remained cool, he was trying to instigate something...but i didn't give. I just answered with a nod, no words were spoken by me. So today, you will not believe what happened...the officer called me at home and said today is my lucky day...he was calling to let me know he withdrew the ticket....I was like WTF? And all I said was "Thanks" and hung up. Why would he do that? I have been checking my ticket over and over to see if he made a mistake...and I can not find a thing!
Dont ask...dont tell...just run like hell!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by big h
That's funny. Still strange why a cop would do that though...hmmm...
Old 09-24-2002, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brings me back to my young and foolish days. My friend had just finished restoring his Triumph TR6, it was an extremely cold winter night, but the roads were dry and ice free so we took the little beast out for a spin. My buddy's driving became a little "enthusiastic" to say the least, doing four wheel drifts etc. late at night on a freezing winters night in Calgary with the top down! Cops saw us, chased us down, the cop driver went ballistic on my buddy, verbally abusing him then the schmuck started coming down on me! I was about to tell him to **** off, I am not the driver, just do his job and write us a ticket, but my buddy tells me to be quiet!

Cop goes back to the van, his partner was trying to cool him down, meanwhile my buddy begins to tell me about his twelve outstanding parking tickets! Anyway after about half an hour of sitting in a cold topless sports car, the cop comes back, gives us our documents back and tells us that we can go, but to stop driving like maniacs.

By all rights my friend should have been busted, at least charged with dangerous driving. it really was a stupid thing to do. Anyway, we figured they let us off the hook only because of the abuse this cop dished out at us that night.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: Got pulled this morning...long

Originally posted by doublea

...52 states and canada's legal too...
Good job on keeping your composure. That always helps in every situation. It makes people want to help you.

Since when did we have 52 states??
Old 09-24-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: Got pulled this morning...long

Originally posted by doublea
he asked me to get off the car and remove the plate right away ,
i got pulled over a couple years ago for speeding (85 in a 55) but the cop was kool about the speeding thing but as soon as soon as he noticed that my windows were blacked out... he started in on me, put the meter on my back window which read .002 and well he gave me a big fat $300 ticket. But then we started talking about cars and all and after about 10 mins of talking he took the ticket from me and cleared it off, gave me his card, and told me if i every needed some police help to give him a call... that guy turned out to be perty cool talking about his younger days and street racing and all...
Old 09-24-2002, 03:59 PM

Re: Re: Got pulled this morning...long

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

Good job on keeping your composure. That always helps in every situation. It makes people want to help you.

Since when did we have 52 states??
Thanks for your good words. Oops, well then I guess it's 50 states, right. I dont remember what I told the police officier, that's a funny one, hope he doesn't come back he he he.

AA