5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone tried PIAA wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 08:55 AM

Has anyone tried PIAA wiper blades?

I can't seems to justify $50 to get a set of these. So I decided to get Bosch. I went to two Autozone locations looking for replacement blades for my Max. I'm still looking. The 26" blade is a hard size to find.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Be carefull when buying the small blade

Over the weekend I bought a Trico Exact Fit Blade and refill assembly for my 03 max. The wipers were said to fit the 01 max but said nothing about the 02/03.
The big wiper fit fine, but the small wiper wouldn't go on. The length of the U on the wiper arm was too long to fit in the opening on the blade assembly.

Just a heads up to anyone buying wipers.

What are the benefits from buying a more expensive blade, ie. teflon etc. Better wipes for longer? The Tricos i got came with a special cleaner wipe. Is that a gimmick or does it actually work?

thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 AM

Re: Be carefull when buying the small blade

Originally posted by SHO2MAX
Over the weekend I bought a Trico Exact Fit Blade and refill assembly for my 03 max. The wipers were said to fit the 01 max but said nothing about the 02/03.
The big wiper fit fine, but the small wiper wouldn't go on. The length of the U on the wiper arm was too long to fit in the opening on the blade assembly.

Just a heads up to anyone buying wipers.

What are the benefits from buying a more expensive blade, ie. teflon etc. Better wipes for longer? The Tricos i got came with a special cleaner wipe. Is that a gimmick or does it actually work?

thanks in advance
Those wipes probably do help a lot when the blades get a little old. They're probably alcohol based which help clean and soften the rubber. Wiping wiper blades with regular isoproyl alcohol does the same thing. It helps the lifetime of wiper blades and also helps old ones work better.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:19 AM

The only reason I pay more is....

To get the blades that are surrounded by rubber. That way in the winter states snow does not freeze
in them.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: The only reason I pay more is....

Originally posted by 2003MaximaSE_TE
To get the blades that are surrounded by rubber. That way in the winter states snow does not freeze
in them.
the only problem with the winter blades is they are not very aerodynamic at speed--they tend to bounce on the windshield.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:58 PM

I know that the user 'y2ksesteve' has the PIAA wiper blades installed.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:24 PM
BugNout

The best blades are the OEM ones from the dealer. Stick with those..

Old 10-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the PIAA silicone wipers, they work great. Just like using Rain-X, except you don't have to re-apply it every two weeks.

The weak link with these wipers is after you wash your windshield and remove the base coat of silicone. Then you have to run your wipers for 10 minutes to lay down a new base coat, then stuff will stick to the new base coat unless you let it settle for a while. If the silicone is still fresh and you go driving, little pieces of crap will get stuck in it and leave smears when you use the wipers.

Other than that, it's worth the $50 for the wipers, especially if it rains a lot where you're at. Check out www.autobulbdepot.com for decent prices and correct sizes on the PIAA wipers.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
I have the PIAA silicone wipers, they work great. Just like using Rain-X, except you don't have to re-apply it every two weeks.

The weak link with these wipers is after you wash your windshield and remove the base coat of silicone. Then you have to run your wipers for 10 minutes to lay down a new base coat, then stuff will stick to the new base coat unless you let it settle for a while. If the silicone is still fresh and you go driving, little pieces of crap will get stuck in it and leave smears when you use the wipers.

Other than that, it's worth the $50 for the wipers, especially if it rains a lot where you're at. Check out www.autobulbdepot.com for decent prices and correct sizes on the PIAA wipers.
Anyone noticed that PIAA aftermarket wipers blades are 2-3mm shorter than OEM?

But I do like the carbon fiber looks tho!! What I would do is put PIAA wiper arms with Boch blades...for best performance and looks!

And one thing to note is that OEM blades are good but THEY DO NOT last at all, they are recommended to change it every year! (PIAA will definitely last longer than that)
Old 10-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They're great! Love em. Pics on my homepage on page 2 i think.