5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about immobilizer chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Question about immobilizer chip

Does the chip need to be in the vicinity of the ignition all the time?

Let's say, for some reason, I ripped out the chip from the key. If I take that key and try to start the car, of course it won't work. If I put the chip in the ignition area and start the car, it will.

Now my question... what if I started the car with the key and chip, but I suddenly pull the chip away from the ignition. The car will not die, correct? I just want to confirm before I throw more cash into the money pit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:20 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right. I think the chip is just for the starter and not the ignition. That's why if the car is standard you could probably jump start it. You might want to try and jump start it without the chip and see if it works. If it does, then you know you don't need the chip. Or, you could just try and move the chip and see what happens.

What are you working on? Keep us posted.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:29 PM

You're probably right, but what are you planning, Kev? And how do you plan on getting the chip out of the key? This sounds shady
Old 10-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I know the car cranks if direct power is given to the starter... but we never gave power to it long enough to see if it started without the key (I doubt it would).

Nothing shady is happening. I just want to make sure a turbo timer works.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I know the car cranks if direct power is given to the starter... but we never gave power to it long enough to see if it started without the key (I doubt it would).

Nothing shady is happening. I just want to make sure a turbo timer works.

Thanks guys.
Y2KevSE <> Shady

Although thats a point I would not have thought about. For the TT to operate you need some ignition control. Nice catch.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Colonel

Y2KevSE <> Shady

Although thats a point I would not have thought about. For the TT to operate you need some ignition control. Nice catch.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Did you see this thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=156510
Old 10-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by asu174
Did you see this thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=156510
I was following it for a while, but stopped. I asked. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:13 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

http://www.autopageusa.com/autopageusaubm3.htm

not that its the answer to your question but may give you nefarious ideas...
Old 10-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by TimW
http://www.autopageusa.com/autopageusaubm3.htm

not that its the answer to your question but may give you nefarious ideas...
I will ponder..... Thanks!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:32 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: Question about immobilizer chip

i didn't check those other posts, but the answer is:
the chip only starts the car. if it's in the vicinity of the ignition, the car will turn on. once on, you do not need hte chip anymore. this is also how you are able to remote start cars with immobilizer chips. a black box that holds an extra key is placed somewhere hidden in the car. when you activate remote start, a pulse is sent to this box, which activates the chips code. in that split second that the chip is active, the car will turn on, the pulse will shut down, the chip will deactivate, and the car will stay on.
you are thinking, someone can easily find your key, and just drive away with your car. 2 choices for this:

1) rip the key off the chip and just leave the chip in the box.
2) do a good job at hiding it.

old fashioned way of doing remote start prior to this bypass module was taping the chip around the ignition. that left the chip around the area 24/7. the problems with that arose when you would turn on the car with your key, and the car would then see 2 keys. the one taped around the ignition and your own. this created problems.

again, i didn't bother lookin at the other threads, so this may be repetitive, but a pretty savvy installer told me all this, and he knows his sh*t.

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Does the chip need to be in the vicinity of the ignition all the time?

Let's say, for some reason, I ripped out the chip from the key. If I take that key and try to start the car, of course it won't work. If I put the chip in the ignition area and start the car, it will.

Now my question... what if I started the car with the key and chip, but I suddenly pull the chip away from the ignition. The car will not die, correct? I just want to confirm before I throw more cash into the money pit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Question about immobilizer chip

Originally posted by PoLo
i didn't check those other posts, but the answer is:
the chip only starts the car. if it's in the vicinity of the ignition, the car will turn on. once on, you do not need hte chip anymore. this is also how you are able to remote start cars with immobilizer chips. a black box that holds an extra key is placed somewhere hidden in the car. when you activate remote start, a pulse is sent to this box, which activates the chips code. in that split second that the chip is active, the car will turn on, the pulse will shut down, the chip will deactivate, and the car will stay on.
you are thinking, someone can easily find your key, and just drive away with your car. 2 choices for this:

old fashioned way of doing remote start prior to this bypass module was taping the chip around the ignition. that left the chip around the area 24/7. the problems with that arose when you would turn on the car with your key, and the car would then see 2 keys. the one taped around the ignition and your own. this created problems.

again, i didn't bother lookin at the other threads, so this may be repetitive, but a pretty savvy installer told me all this, and he knows his sh*t.

Thanks! I'm not worried about remote start. What the turbo timer does is let the car run after you have stopped the car and taken the key out.

So, since the immobilizer chip only affects startup, the chip will not need to be in the vicinity when the turbo timer is working.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:53 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah, I know my Autopage has a turbo timer built in. thats why I was leaning toward alarm accessories.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: Question about immobilizer chip

Originally posted by PoLo

I did my remote start in this method, but removed the chips from both the keys (that's how I got one anyway) so I would not have this problem.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by TimW
yeah, I know my Autopage has a turbo timer built in. thats why I was leaning toward alarm accessories.
Hehehe... but I want more features.