5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 10:13 PM

I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Waht do you guys think of Straight Pipe??
Old 10-09-2002, 10:35 PM

Like a big Dodge one??
Old 10-09-2002, 10:57 PM
ThisMax2NV

Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Originally posted by Woo Cho
Ohhhhh I like your kit very nice!!!

Old 10-10-2002, 12:16 AM

i think its illegal and it smells.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:29 AM
i SeE what you did therE

it really won't help..
Old 10-10-2002, 05:51 AM

just do it
Old 10-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Loud.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
it really won't help..
Not true. You will definately feel a difference. I just put my cat back on this weekend and I'm missing the extra "get up and go".
Old 10-10-2002, 08:33 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by LeftCoast

Not true. You will definately feel a difference. I just put my cat back on this weekend and I'm missing the extra "get up and go".

well.. there was no difference with 4th gens.. all bolt on.. n/a
Old 10-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

First, removing the cat on a CALI emissions will NOT trigger a MIL, but might on a FED emissions since the FED has a 02 sensor after the main cat.

Second, removing the main cat and replacing it with a straight pipe will NOT "smell". Only if a cat fails does it smell like rotten eggs unless you mean as in crappy emissions smell. IF so, then you need to become a wine sniffer or something.

3rd, there are minimal if any gains thus NO point in removing the CAT unless you've already done a catback and Y-pipe and even then it's minimal unless you have FI.

4th, the sound increase is minimal UNLESS you have a Y-pipe and catback.

5th, the MAIN reason to run a "straight pipe" is to prevent ruining the cat by running N20/SC/Turbo or for a good EGT or A/F-sensor mounting point. Actually, it's probably better to mount those closer to the engine, but this is a convienent spot.

There are more, but those are just a few off the top of my head.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
First, removing the cat on a CALI emissions will NOT trigger a MIL, but might on a FED emissions since the FED has a 02 sensor after the main cat.

Second, removing the main cat and replacing it with a straight pipe will NOT "smell". Only if a cat fails does it smell like rotten eggs unless you mean as in crappy emissions smell. IF so, then you need to become a wine sniffer or something.

3rd, there are minimal if any gains thus NO point in removing the CAT unless you've already done a catback and Y-pipe and even then it's minimal unless you have FI.

5th, the MAIN reason to run a "straight pipe" is to prevent ruining the cat by running N20/SC/Turbo or for a good EGT or A/F-sensor mounting point. Actually, it's probably better to mount those closer to the engine, but this is a convienent spot.

Regarding 4th.. There is absolutely no point in replacing the cat unless you have a Y pipe and catback already, so I just assumed that those were already mods on the vehicle in question.

I put a test pipe on and it was REALLY friggin loud. And I have a Y pipe and catback.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:17 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

yes.... what he said
Old 10-10-2002, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

Take it from someone who has a race pipe.... I do not relay second-hand information.

1. No smell but definately a "hotter", more humid exhaust.

2. It WILL improve performance and the difference is noticable
I repeat..This mod works. Could chirp in third easily with the race pipe. Without it...no more.

3. It is definately louder.

IMO it is the best "bang for the buck" mod out there (30 bones)

-Left
Old 10-10-2002, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

Take it from someone who has a race pipe.... I do not relay second-hand information.

I repeat..This mod works. Could chirp in third easily with the race pipe. Without it...no more.

-Left
I wasn't necessarily directing that at you, since I said UNLESS you have other exhaust work. Basically, by itself it's worthless.

Anyways, I guess some peoples butt-dyno is a little more sensitive.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:10 PM

just do it!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:46 PM

mmm...my friend with a S40 just replaced the cat with a straight pipe, now the car smells like ****. There was absolutly no smell of any kind before he did this. What might be causing it?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:01 PM

Sorry, but I don't know S40s exhaust design...

Originally posted by CharlieNewbieMax
mmm...my friend with a S40 just replaced the cat with a straight pipe, now the car smells like ****. There was absolutly no smell of any kind before he did this. What might be causing it?
IF the two are related(replacing the main cat and the smell), my bet is that he's screwed up the 02-sensor either attached to the main cat or near the main cat in the B-pipe. That COULD cause the ECU to run rich and it COULD have overheated/ruined one of the other precats, which can cause the rotten egg smell.

IF he's positive the two are related, I'd replace the main cat ASAP and go to the dealer. It could cause engine damage, but I'm betting the ECU would have triggered a check engine light first.

Just a guess though.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

I wasn't necessarily directing that at you, since I said UNLESS you have other exhaust work.
Understand your point, but I have to once again disagree. Removing the cat from ANY exhaust system will increase exhaust air flow. It does not make a difference what Mods you have installed. Decrease restriction = increase performance.

Yes a straight pipe installation would probably be more noticable with a cat back/y-pipe, but the high efficiency of the 2K2 exhaust probably makes this a moot point. I cannot speak for earlier Maxima models, but I imagine the cat is not predominant bottleneck in the exhaust system.

We remove precats to get less restriction. Why would a cat be any different?

-Sensitive Butt
Old 10-10-2002, 04:24 PM

Sensitive Butt Dyno Man.....hehe

Understand your point, but I have to once again disagree. Removing the cat from ANY exhaust system will increase exhaust air flow. It does not make a difference what Mods you have installed. Decrease restriction = increase performance.

Yes a straight pipe installation would probably be more noticable with a cat back/y-pipe, but the high efficiency of the 2K2 exhaust probably makes this a moot point. I cannot speak for earlier Maxima models, but I imagine the cat is not predominant bottleneck in the exhaust system.

We remove precats to get less restriction. Why would a cat be any different?

-Sensitive Butt
It's all dependent on exhaust gas velocity. The whole idea is to speed up the exhaust by removing any restriction(to a point, since some backpressure is good), however when you have a punny little 1-5/8" or whatever exhaust and you drop in a 2-1/2" cat/straight pipe you create a "pocket" or expansion area. This pocket doesn't promote exhaust velocity, instead it causes turbulance, which is a restriction. The going from small Y-pipe---to--2-1/5" cat or straight pipe--to--small catback is creating a turbulance in the column of air flowing out the exhaust, ie decreases the exhaust gas velocity.

In the other situation(already have a Y-pipe/catback) you are correct that the cat is a bottle neck, hence restriction.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:53 PM

Re: Sensitive Butt Dyno Man.....hehe

It's all dependent on exhaust gas velocity. The whole idea is to speed up the exhaust by removing any restriction(to a point, since some backpressure is good), however when you have a punny little 1-5/8" or whatever exhaust and you drop in a 2-1/2" cat/straight pipe you create a "pocket" or expansion area. This pocket doesn't promote exhaust velocity, instead it causes turbulance, which is a restriction. The going from small Y-pipe---to--2-1/5" cat or straight pipe--to--small catback is creating a turbulance in the column of air flowing out the exhaust, ie decreases the exhaust gas velocity.

In the other situation(already have a Y-pipe/catback) you are correct that the cat is a bottle neck, hence restriction.
OK, I'll buy that. I suppose the question remains of which is the lesser of two evils. Turbulance or restriction... I suppose we'll never know until someone actually does a dyno. Maybe I'll try to calibrate my sensitive butt while I'm there...
Old 10-10-2002, 07:58 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Sensitive Butt Dyno Man.....hehe

OK, I'll buy that. I suppose the question remains of which is the lesser of two evils. Turbulance or restriction... I suppose we'll never know until someone actually does a dyno. Maybe I'll try to calibrate my sensitive butt while I'm there...
I noticed something was wrong with your butt at the bar on Sunday...
Old 10-10-2002, 08:55 PM

You left yourself open for this....

STOP LOOKING AT MY AZZ YOU DAMN YANKEE FAN!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dunno if I believe it but custommaxima dynoed theirs and got 11 hp?
Old 10-10-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
I dunno if I believe it but custommaxima dynoed theirs and got 11 hp?
Seems about right to me. Noticed about the same amount of gain for the intake...
Old 10-10-2002, 10:00 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

You left yourself open for this....

STOP LOOKING AT MY AZZ YOU DAMN YANKEE FAN!!!
Are you implying that I'm .. ...

.. Go Braves....
Old 10-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Old Timer

Originally posted by kloogy

Are you implying that I'm .. ...

.. Go Braves....
Oh My God. You can't post that.

Can you? he he he
Old 10-10-2002, 10:48 PM

ok...i dont know what u guys are talking about, when i had my car striaght piped, not cat back, or any crap, my 2k2 felt pretty damn good to me, the sound from the car was just as loud as my friend w/ his WS6 w/ loudmouth, im sure kloogy knows what that sounds like, the sound was close but the max was a bit more raspy. THAT SUCKER IS LOUD~!! minimal difference, ha... the power and sound i got was well, lets just say "GROAN GRABBINGLY SPACTACULAR~!!!" the only thing is, i was traveling around 14-15 miles a galon so i decided to put it back on....U GUYS SHOULDN't act as though u KNOW until u've accually tried it. im not trying to start a fight, im just voicing my opinion
Old 10-11-2002, 05:17 AM

oh dude, i didn't see what kloog posted til now...hahahaha, where do you find a smilee like that???????
Old 10-11-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by kloogy

.. Go Braves....
sacrilege!

Old 10-11-2002, 08:21 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
oh dude, i didn't see what kloog posted til now...hahahaha, where do you find a smilee like that???????
Altimas.net
Old 10-12-2002, 12:45 AM

Didnt yankees lose already Go angels
Old 10-12-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Originally posted by Woo Cho
Hey Woo Cho, check on http://www.custommaxima.com/RacingPipe.htm, I saw they have a nice SS test pipe that replace the main cats, I think they dyno'd + 11HP, plus it have a build in resonator. I will be buying one soon.

Che Che

AA
Old 10-12-2002, 10:30 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Didnt yankees lose already Go angels
Old 10-12-2002, 01:15 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Originally posted by doublea

Hey Woo Cho, check on http://www.custommaxima.com/RacingPipe.htm, I saw they have a nice SS test pipe that replace the main cats, I think they dyno'd + 11HP, plus it have a build in resonator. I will be buying one soon.

Che Che

AA

here we go again..

show me a dyno with this installed giving you a 11 hp gain...
(i have one i know it does not) and the price it too high anyway..

Old 10-13-2002, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

here we go again..

show me a dyno with this installed giving you a 11 hp gain...

Hey redmaxpa007, here is the link to custommaxima website link for the dyno sheet, if the link doesn't work, just copy and paste the adress in your browser.

http://www.custommaxima.com/RacingPipeDyno.htm

There might be many reasons why you didn't achieve equivalent result, to name a few, what year max you have ? Do you have, Y-Pipe, Intake, Catback, pullies etc... does your max is auto or stick, Numbers will vary from one application to the other depending on the car itself and the mods already in place.

All theses factors will have an impact on your final numbers, there is no magic in car modding, think of it like an escalade of things,

As for the price, 99$ for 11HP, that sound like as weat deal, a Y-pipe cost like 350-450$ and give around 12-16hp. I will certainly give it a try soon.

Cheers

AA
Old 10-13-2002, 02:56 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

Originally posted by doublea

Hey redmaxpa007, here is the link to custommaxima website link for the dyno sheet, if the link doesn't work, just copy and paste the adress in your browser.

http://www.custommaxima.com/RacingPipeDyno.htm
i can make one of those too. all you do is dyno a maxima with a clogged OEM cat. then dyno one with this "magic $100 pipe" i bet you will get 11 hp difference.. all you will be getting is BACk your orginal hp

There might be many reasons why you didn't achieve equivalent result, to name a few, what year max you have ?

Do you have, Y-Pipe, Intake, Catback, pullies etc...
yes all those

does your max is auto or stick,
auto

Numbers will vary from one application to the other depending on the car itself and the mods already in place.
i know that

As for the price, 99$ for 11HP, that sound like as weat deal, a Y-pipe cost like 350-450$ and give around 12-16hp. I will certainly give it a try soon.
Cheers

AA
then you will be wasting at least 50 dollars.. cause i got one for $67 shipped

more power to ya...
e-mail me and i wil tell you where to get one cheaper.

11hp.. hehehe
Old 10-13-2002, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

then you will be wasting at least 50 dollars.. cause i got one for $67 shipped

more power to ya...
e-mail me and i wil tell you where to get one cheaper.

11hp.. hehehe
The resonator in the custommaxima straight pipe is well worth the extra $$$.

Not sure what why all the animosity towards straight pipes. They work...Its proven. Are you simply standing by your original position just for the sake of arguing?

If that's the case, then I'm here lead you toward light. Bring it...
Old 10-13-2002, 11:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

-Left
Where can u get it for $30???
Old 10-14-2002, 01:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WTF? Some of you need to do some reading...

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

Where can u get it for $30???
WarpSpeed Performance.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:57 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??

[B]

The resonator in the custommaxima straight pipe is well worth the extra $$$.

Not sure what why all the animosity towards straight pipes. They work...Its proven. Are you simply standing by your original position just for the sake of arguing?

If that's the case, then I'm here lead you toward light. Bring it...
i have that ss and has a resonator in it.. i am telling you the SAME thing cheaper.. sheesh...

i am only saying i can save people money.. and straight pipes will give you a gain, yes, BUT not 11hp (supercharged with NOS maybe on a good day)

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of getting Racing Straight Pipe. What do u guys think??