5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Radar Hardwire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 07:18 AM

I just got a hardwire kit for my radar detector. The kit has a wire tap and the very informative directions say "tap into a wire" I guess it needs to tap into the accessory outlet wire somewhere. Does anyone know where I can find the wire without taking out too much of the dash? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 09-08-2000, 07:29 AM

v1???

did you get it??? welll either way this should work. what i did was a popped the fuse box cover off on the bottom left of the steering wheel.. easy. you'll see spare fuses there. (empty slots) get a wire connector with a splitting fork at the end, chop one fork off and stab the other in the positive side of the fuse, u gotta use a test light for it. but i think it was the left side was posistive.. dont' take my word for it. then ground the sucker on a bolt or screw that touches metal..

have a blast through the highways and see if it works

the above are just helpful suggestions for you to intall your radar detector. i am in no way liable for your mistakes. all of which has worked for me, but might not work for u.

the one and only famous disclaimer.
Old 09-08-2000, 01:18 PM

Yeah, fusebox works..

I just slipped a bare end of the hot wire under a 15 amp fuse and then just jammed the sucker back in to the fuse box. Ground the black wire to a bolt in the frame somewhere. Run some phone wire up between the door gasket, across the top of the A pillar, and tuck into the headliner. Take off the sunglasses case (2 screws) and then pop about a foot of cord out through there. When you don't have the radar plugged in, just push the wire back in to the hole and you wont even see it.