5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 PM

New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Hi all,

I just got a new 2003 SE Titanium Ed 6 speed and am new to the board. Nice ride, once I get some time I'll post some pics.

I've been reading through a lot of these posts and found some great info. However, there seems to be some debate on which mod is the best first one to do: Rear Sway Bar or Front Strut Tower Bar? It seems like the FSTB is the easier of the 2 but I'd like to get some more opinions if you have them.

Also, I just tried to put a stereo in it this weekend. I've done this a dozen times before with no problems. But this time the screws holding the Bose HU on (which is a big, over priced POS in my opinion but it was jammed in a package ) were torqued like crazy! So much that I stripped 3 of them (the heads) when removing it. No big deal, but after calling like 10 dealers they want $1.74 per screw! I think they may have misinterpreted my request
Old 10-14-2002, 01:21 PM

Welcome!!

I think the first mod should be the Rear Sway Bar or a clearcoat job for the front to help with the paint chips...
Old 10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mpc578
Welcome!!

I think the first mod should be the Rear Sway Bar or a clearcoat job for the front to help with the paint chips...
Congrats
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Boost.....

Welcome.....
Old 10-14-2002, 05:13 PM

What is a good swaybar to get for my 2002 SE?

I have the MaxSpeed Springs, Strut Bar and DTM Performance muffler all being shipped as I type. Hopefully theyu will get to the great white North soon so I can actually try them out before the snow hits.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:15 PM

And where can I buy it on the NET.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Bootre
What is a good swaybar to get for my 2002 SE?

I have the MaxSpeed Springs, Strut Bar and DTM Performance muffler all being shipped as I type. Hopefully theyu will get to the great white North soon so I can actually try them out before the snow hits.
I would've suggested the ADDCO for 115 from cattman.com shipped and it would still work, but since you're lowered you would have scraping problems with people in the car. I suggest the Stillen one from stillen.com cuz it sits like an inch higher than the addco, but the downside is that its over $200
Old 10-14-2002, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info, and the fast response.

These cars just have to be the best performance for the buck. I love my Max.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Originally posted by spta97
Also, I just tried to put a stereo in it this weekend. I've done this a dozen times before with no problems. But this time the screws holding the Bose HU on (which is a big, over priced POS in my opinion but it was jammed in a package ) were torqued like crazy! So much that I stripped 3 of them (the heads) when removing it. No big deal, but after calling like 10 dealers they want $1.74 per screw! I think they may have misinterpreted my request
yea i did the same thing this weekend. i have the non-bose unit and those 8 screws are in there like a ****. i stripped 4 of them and had to drill them out in order to get the damn thing off the rails. i dont know why they would put those screws on so damn tight, the screws on the ac unit are easy as hell to take off too.

as for replacing the screws, talk to your local mobile stereo shop, they should have some laying around they could give you.

oh and how is the install kit working for you, like the trim that goes around the HU?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Originally posted by silverkorn

yea i did the same thing this weekend. i have the non-bose unit and those 8 screws are in there like a ****. i stripped 4 of them and had to drill them out in order to get the damn thing off the rails. i dont know why they would put those screws on so damn tight, the screws on the ac unit are easy as hell to take off too.

as for replacing the screws, talk to your local mobile stereo shop, they should have some laying around they could give you.

oh and how is the install kit working for you, like the trim that goes around the HU?
The install kit I got from Sounddomain.com. Its the Scosche NN1494. The color matches well with my interior (Titanium Package), but it doesn't seem to fit too nice. There is a gap above the pocket and below the stereo where the plastic is bent because it just doesn't fit well. I ordered a dash mount kit from Crutchfield (the brand escapes me now) so I'll let you know how that turns out. I've always had good luck with Crutchfield, but the prices are WAY too high! The stuff I got at Sounddomain was up to 50% off from Crutchfield's prices.

Thanks for the tip on the screws and to everyone else for the advice and well wishes!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:48 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Originally posted by spta97
The install kit I got from Sounddomain.com. Its the Scosche NN1494. The color matches well with my interior (Titanium Package), but it doesn't seem to fit too nice. There is a gap above the pocket and below the stereo where the plastic is bent because it just doesn't fit well
That's not a problem at all. I just used a couple drops of superglue here and there and Voila!

Click here for a larger photo.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:56 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have an Addco. I have pics on my homepage. I am lowered, and get no scraping whatsoever, even with as many as 5 people in the Max.. Maybe the 19's help raise the car from the ground.. but I have no issues with it. I think the Addco is great... I would personally do an intake first.... Welcome new ORG member !
Old 10-15-2002, 01:20 AM

Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Welcome on board!

I agree with kloogy to do the intake first. I just put on a general airfilter replacement from K&N.

K&N Filter charger
Model# 33-2031-2

And I also drilled couple holes around the plastic pipe.
It makes the car a lot easier to drive and quicker to get into speed!

It may not as good as those high flow mushroom air filter, but it is easier to deal with first.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Originally posted by soundmike

That's not a problem at all. I just used a couple drops of superglue here and there and Voila!

Click here for a larger photo.
did you have to drill new holes on the rack? in the instructions it says you have to. as of right now i dont have the trim in but i have the HU hooked up, so you can see into the back, looks ghetto but i need my tunes

i'll try again this weekend taking my time and checking everything out.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by soundmike
[B]

I see I guess that never occured to me because I haven't had much luck with crazy glue in my car. It just doesn't seem to stick Its too late to cancel the order for the new one, so I'll let you know how that works.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: New 2003 SE 6SP, and membership!

Originally posted by pigcold
Welcome on board!

I agree with kloogy to do the intake first. I just put on a general airfilter replacement from K&N.

K&N Filter charger
Model# 33-2031-2

And I also drilled couple holes around the plastic pipe.
It makes the car a lot easier to drive and quicker to get into speed!

It may not as good as those high flow mushroom air filter, but it is easier to deal with first.
Holy $hit. You have the identical car I have. Pretty rare car, haven't seen one like yet, do you have leather and sunroof, or cloth?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Jaws

Holy $hit. You have the identical car I have. Pretty rare car, haven't seen one like yet, do you have leather and sunroof, or cloth?
Jaws,

I have leather and sunroof. I don't want to see you to stand beside my car and pressing the remote..

Nice to know you are in Edmonton Aberta, what a lovely city.

I have been Edmonton before, and it is very nice.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Jaws

Jaws,

I hope that you can help me on this.

Have you install a FSTB yet? I want to have one, but people said some FSTB has fitting problem because the new 3.5L engine.

Just want to know any successful example.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:51 AM
Very sound, Mike

Good enough?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:02 AM

first mod

ummm you have 255 ponies under the hood.
Get a rear sway bar.