5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vibration when car/tires are cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 AM

Vibration when car/tires are cold?

I've got a 2k2 SE automagic.. for the first mile or two in the mornings or after work (after the car's been sitting a few hours) it feels like the back wheels are way out of balance and the car shakes pretty noticibly. After a mile or two it's as smooth as can be. I've had the tires rotated/balanced since it started doing this. At first I thought it was just the road outside my house but then I started noticing it on the way home from work too. I'll probably take it in next week, but anyone have an idea what it could be?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM
jjs

Re: Vibration when car/tires are cold?

Originally posted by bobcat
I've got a 2k2 SE automagic.. for the first mile or two in the mornings or after work (after the car's been sitting a few hours) it feels like the back wheels are way out of balance and the car shakes pretty noticibly. After a mile or two it's as smooth as can be. I've had the tires rotated/balanced since it started doing this. At first I thought it was just the road outside my house but then I started noticing it on the way home from work too. I'll probably take it in next week, but anyone have an idea what it could be?
What kind of tire pressure are you running and have you checked the pressure lately?

Sounds like they are developing a 'flat spot' from sitting in one place.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 AM

I have the same problem. Your not alone.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: Vibration when car/tires are cold?

Originally posted by bobcat
It's from your tires getting flat spots from sitting. When you heat up the tires the flats go away as they are in the carcass, not the rubber. This is particularly a problem with nylon, but happens in varying degrees with other carcass materials.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:37 AM

Flat spots? I have the same problem with my new Dunlop Sport A2's...my car never sits for more than overnight like every other person who works or goes to school...how the heck can you get flat spots???
Old 10-18-2002, 10:48 AM
jjs

Originally posted by jnm2kse
Flat spots? I have the same problem with my new Dunlop Sport A2's...my car never sits for more than overnight like every other person who works or goes to school...how the heck can you get flat spots???
among other sources, read the right hand column of this...

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/pdf/stsbulletin.pdf
Old 10-18-2002, 11:08 AM

It's funny this post came up. My Max has been sitting for a week or so and this morning I could feel a small shimmy. I actually got out of the car to see if I had a flat of something. Makes sense though.

Question. Never noticed this at all on my '92 Max (kept stock tire size). Is it more noticeable due to the lower profile tire? (5th gen)
Old 10-18-2002, 11:12 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Madd Kidd
It's funny this post came up. My Max has been sitting for a week or so and this morning I could feel a small shimmy. I actually got out of the car to see if I had a flat of something. Makes sense though.

Question. Never noticed this at all on my '92 Max (kept stock tire size). Is it more noticeable due to the lower profile tire? (5th gen)
Depends most on the tire compounds, structure, and inflation.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by jjs

among other sources, read the right hand column of this...

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/pdf/stsbulletin.pdf
Aha...that makes sense...ok....I was thinking flat spotting the tires such as locking them up and sliding 1/2 way through a red light....

Thanks for the link!

I actually was thinking about that this morning on my way to work...cold temps are the norm now in NH and the first couple miles my wheels feel like crap.

I remember watching a NASCAR race and they were talking how the cars ride gets better after the tires are heated up and air pressure builds up.....sort of along the same lines maybe?
Old 10-18-2002, 11:27 AM
jjs

Originally posted by jnm2kse

Aha...that makes sense...ok....I was thinking flat spotting the tires such as locking them up and sliding 1/2 way through a red light....

Thanks for the link!

I actually was thinking about that this morning on my way to work...cold temps are the norm now in NH and the first couple miles my wheels feel like crap.

I remember watching a NASCAR race and they were talking how the cars ride gets better after the tires are heated up and air pressure builds up.....sort of along the same lines maybe?
yep!
Old 10-19-2002, 05:30 AM

Simple - throw your pants on the floor when you go to bed. In the morning they are wrinkled. Hang them in the bathroom when you shower and the wrinkles go away (at least some). Same with the fabrics in the tire carcass, the heat from driving returns them to their unwrinkled state (taking them into the bathroom is impractical).
Old 10-19-2002, 11:31 AM

lol...I bet someone will do it