5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do I reset airbag light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do I reset airbag light?

I removed my seats and everything else in my interior. I then proceeded to smartly turn on the the car to move it a few inches which caused the darned air-bag light to come on.... I would like to reset the light , but do I have to go to the dealership to do this?

-GW
Old 10-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: How do I reset airbag light?

Originally posted by ghostwhisper
I removed my seats and everything else in my interior. I then proceeded to smartly turn on the the car to move it a few inches which caused the darned air-bag light to come on.... I would like to reset the light , but do I have to go to the dealership to do this?

-GW
try to disconnect battery for several hrs...that might work
Old 10-20-2002, 01:00 PM

Most likely disconnecting the battery won’t work; the ECU for the airbags contains an EPROM so any faults or fail conditions can be retained for review (liability lawsuit, ECT). The little devil can even power the thing with the battery removed (such as the battery was destroyed on impact the airbags can still fire). Take it to the dealer and plead insanity. They will review the fault codes, check the wiring and reset the ECU.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:52 PM

i had the same problem. the air bag light came on, when the car was fixed. only difference was i got into an accident. and the body shop told me to reset it at the dealership, it should work on yours. but mine got messed up. i think they have to replace a couple things that cost $1,000. thats what the receipt said. they did a diagnosis and 2 out of the 4 failed
mann.. that may happen when you get into an accident with the air bag popping out at your face. keep your max's clean and healthy, esp. accident free.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I already tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours but that didn't work. I know nothing is wrong.. I'll guess I'll have to bring it down to the dealership and tell them to reset the computer.. Any other ideas on how to reset this darned thing???
Old 10-21-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: How do I reset airbag light?

Originally posted by ghostwhisper

-GW
I'm curious, how long does the light stay on? My airbag light stays on longer than the rest of the lights when I start the car, but not very long, maybe a few seconds longer. I can't decide if it's supposed to do this, or if it has a problem.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: How do I reset airbag light?

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I'm curious, how long does the light stay on? My airbag light stays on longer than the rest of the lights when I start the car, but not very long, maybe a few seconds longer. I can't decide if it's supposed to do this, or if it has a problem.
If I recall correctly, the manual says it should stay on 7 seconds after ignition turn. If it stays on permanantly or continually blinks...you have an issue. I just had to have a seatbelt replaced because the sensor went bad and set off the light.

The computer code has to be cleared. It will not be "resetable".
Old 10-21-2002, 05:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: How do I reset airbag light?

How much did it cost you to fix this Colonel?

Originally posted by Colonel

If I recall correctly, the manual says it should stay on 7 seconds after ignition turn. If it stays on permanantly or continually blinks...you have an issue. I just had to have a seatbelt replaced because the sensor went bad and set off the light.

The computer code has to be cleared. It will not be "resetable".
Old 10-21-2002, 07:15 PM

You will need to go to the dealer for the air bag light. The dealer will have to pull the code and see if it can be reset. Most of the time the air bag light will store a "hard" code in the air bag module and can not be reset. Either way it means a trip back to the dealer. Just wondering... why did you have everything in the interior out?
Old 10-21-2002, 07:51 PM

Go to the dealer or someplace with a Consult II. They will plug it in and reset the codes. I did the same thing (started the car with the seats out). A friend who works at Nissan got out the Consult II and we reset the codes in the computer.

Stereodude
Old 10-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Stereodude
Go to the dealer or someplace with a Consult II. They will plug it in and reset the codes. I did the same thing (started the car with the seats out). A friend who works at Nissan got out the Consult II and we reset the codes in the computer.

Stereodude
So if you have the seats out and do not start the car the air bag light will not come on once the seats are reinstalled and then started. I put in a system in my girls 2002 SE-r , but I did start the car during the seats being out. I was wondering once I do my system if I have the seat out even with the car off if it will activate the airbag light?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Therefore does anyone in the bay area have a Consult II I can use to help reset these codes as mentioned by Stereodude?

Thanks everyone for your help,
GW

Originally posted by Stereodude

Stereodude