5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I Buy An Extended Warranty????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 06:58 PM

Should I Buy An Extended Warranty????

I bought the "Gold" 100K extended warranty on my '98 SE - now I'm wondering if I should suck it up and buy it again on my 2k2???

Anybody want to give me their two cents???

What is everybody paying for the 100k extended?? I was quoted $700 at the time of purchase.

Really trying to figure-out if it's worth it or not on this thing.
I'm in sales - so I drive alot. Figure I will do at least 20-25k a year, and plan on keeping the car at LEAST four to five years.

Thanks for your input fellow Maximaniacs!

G.R.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:59 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

at $700, why not... especially with your plans to keep it. Alot of us are having coils, o2 and other problems at 36k+ that are not always done under the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty. Sometimes they try to argue that Mafs and coils are 'electrical', hence not covered. While some people are getting it covered anyway, its probably worth the peace of mind. One trip for an out of warranty MAF can cost almost your warranty cost.

point is, the max is not going to fall apart on you.. but it could nickle and dime you on the small stuff. Except a few more annoyances than your 98, not showstoppers - just little hassle things..
Old 10-24-2002, 08:46 PM
It's chrome alright...

just make sure you go over the terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb and verify these things are covered... it would suck to buy the EW and later find out the expensive thing that just died isn't covered.

Originally posted by TimW
at $700, why not... especially with your plans to keep it. Alot of us are having coils, o2 and other problems at 36k+ that are not always done under the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty. Sometimes they try to argue that Mafs and coils are 'electrical', hence not covered. While some people are getting it covered anyway, its probably worth the peace of mind. One trip for an out of warranty MAF can cost almost your warranty cost.

point is, the max is not going to fall apart on you.. but it could nickle and dime you on the small stuff. Except a few more annoyances than your 98, not showstoppers - just little hassle things..
Old 10-24-2002, 09:20 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Nissan Gold is the only warranty to consider.. yeah, the radio and whatnot is not covered.. but most of what appears to be failing (BESIDES ROTORS ) seems to be getting covered by those of us with that NG warranty. I wouldnt get any warranty underwritten by any other company or the dealer, those are bad news.

Plus, Nissan is good about letting you cash out of it.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TimW
Nissan Gold is the only warranty to consider.. yeah, the radio and whatnot is not covered.. but most of what appears to be failing (BESIDES ROTORS ) seems to be getting covered by those of us with that NG warranty. I wouldnt get any warranty underwritten by any other company or the dealer, those are bad news.

Plus, Nissan is good about letting you cash out of it.
Plus you get a loaner if you have problems, nice back up up for someone in sales.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:03 AM

I bought the extended warranty with my 01 SE. I figure in rotors alone I'll be ahead of the game in a couple of years. I'm at 30K and have had them turned twice and replaced once under the warranty. Hopefully, I'll get the same treatment once I hit the extended period. Although I think there's a deductible...
Old 10-25-2002, 06:18 AM

Thanks Boys!

Great advice -- thank you gentlemen!

I shoulda just done it when I bought the thing - but I had absolutely no problems with my '98 under 35k miles (sold it) and swore I wouldn't need it on my next Max.

Given the issues that the '02 is suffering, albeit minor nuisances, I'm thinking that this is probably the right thing to do.

I'll have to remember to include the loaner vehicle for sure!

~swift launches & short-shifts to you all!

g.r.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Cwa232
I bought the extended warranty with my 01 SE. I figure in rotors alone I'll be ahead of the game in a couple of years. I'm at 30K and have had them turned twice and replaced once under the warranty. Hopefully, I'll get the same treatment once I hit the extended period. Although I think there's a deductible...

Think again, rotors are not covered under the extended warranty.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel as if I were taken by the sales, I paid $1200 for my extended warranty. Do you all know if nissan has a set price that I can take back to the dealership and ask WHY my warranty is that high.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Dohcser
I feel as if I were taken by the sales, I paid $1200 for my extended warranty. Do you all know if nissan has a set price that I can take back to the dealership and ask WHY my warranty is that high.
My understanding is that the dealership determines the selling price. They pay a set cost say $600.00, they can sell it at cost or charge whatever they can get. Can you cash out the warranty you now have and go to another dealer to negotiate a better deal. On my daughter's 2000 Altima GLE we got the Gold 100k extended warranty for $550.00 which was their cost. I used to work at the dealership (new car sales) and got the car and warranty at cost.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by karguy

My understanding is that the dealership determines the selling price. They pay a set cost say $600.00, they can sell it at cost or charge whatever they can get. Can you cash out the warranty you now have and go to another dealer to negotiate a better deal. On my daughter's 2000 Altima GLE we got the Gold 100k extended warranty for $550.00 which was their cost. I used to work at the dealership (new car sales) and got the car and warranty at cost.
Yes I believe that I can pull out of the warranty that I have, but I am not sure what is a good deal. (THANKS KARGUY)

Can someone please give me the prices they paid for their warranty on their MAX!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 11:46 AM

Yes I believe that I can pull out of the warranty that I have, but I am not sure what is a good deal. (THANKS KARGUY)

Can someone please give me the prices they paid for their warranty
on their MAX!!!
Someone posted a price of 700.00 a few days ago on a Gold 100k Ext. Warranty. I'd start negotiations at $700.00 with a fall back position of $750.00. You can save yourself a few hundred dollars!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:18 PM

Anyone else want to submit how much they paid for the extended warranty?
Old 10-25-2002, 03:25 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

How much should I pay for the GOLD warranty?

Is there a "platinum" or something better?

Any details or tips on how or what type to buy, since I've been putting it off and only have a little over a year left would be great?
Old 10-25-2002, 03:34 PM

Rotors

I had my rotors turned at about 34K while they were under warranty. This was back in March. Now I have 45K on my car and the SOB's are shaking again. I was reading the back of the receipt, and it looks like warranty work carries an additional year's warranty. So if the warranty repair goes bad, I should be able to take it back in??? Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2002, 03:37 PM

Re: Rotors

Originally posted by hawkdog
I had my rotors turned at about 34K while they were under warranty. This was back in March. Now I have 45K on my car and the SOB's are shaking again. I was reading the back of the receipt, and it looks like warranty work carries an additional year's warranty. So if the warranty repair goes bad, I should be able to take it back in??? Is this correct?
I know PARTS have a 1yr./12K mile warranty, but I don't think turning the rotors would be included.

I don't know for sure though.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:43 PM

Well I guess I'll take it in...the worst thing that could happen is them sending me away with shaky rotors.

Did anyone ever come to a conclusion on why they are warping like this? Is it the heavy wheels? Or are they just $hitty rotors?
Old 10-25-2002, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by hawkdog
Well I guess I'll take it in...the worst thing that could happen is them sending me away with shaky rotors.

Did anyone ever come to a conclusion on why they are warping like this? Is it the heavy wheels? Or are they just $hitty rotors?
No conclusions, just speculation.

2K2s do come with bigger rotors, so you can assume something was needed.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:50 PM

If the back of the receipt says that there is a one year warranty on warranty repairs it sounds like they get to fix it again at no cost to you. I would lean on them real hard to put new rotors on.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:02 PM

I paid $8xx for 75,000 bumper to bumper. It'll be easier to sell at 40 or 50,000 miles if its still covered. I used the warranty price as part of my negotiations for the final price of the car.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by F8Lmax
I paid $8xx for 75,000 bumper to bumper. It'll be easier to sell at 40 or 50,000 miles if its still covered. I used the warranty price as part of my negotiations for the final price of the car.
That was for 5yrs., right?
Old 10-25-2002, 06:07 PM

Even if the rotors are not covered under warranty I guess there's some peace of mind having it (at least that what I'm trying to convince myself). I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and said no to the extended warranty and of course 6 months after the standard warranty expired the tranny died. That's why I went with the extended warranty with the max. Peace of mind.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:52 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=161450
Old 10-26-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: ...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

That was for 5yrs., right?
i forget i think so
Old 10-26-2002, 05:54 PM

GEICO maintenance agreement

Does anybody have experience with the GEICO maintenance agreement? It it their version of an extended warranty, and it is considerably cheaper than the dealerships warranty.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: GEICO maintenance agreement

Originally posted by 97RxMaXsE
Does anybody have experience with the GEICO maintenance agreement? It it their version of an extended warranty, and it is considerably cheaper than the dealerships warranty.
I signed up for that. It's called Mechanical Breakdown insurance. It covers anything not covered by Nissan's Warranty for the life of the car(In New York) Other states, it covers until 100,000 miles. There's a 200 deductable, which isn't the best, but for 30 dollars a year, I have the peace of mind, that I won't have to ever shell out big bucks to have anything fixed.

I asked the Geico rep for something that would be covered by them and she gave me this example "A lady called today who's daughter spilled soda in the dash an ruined the Electrical System, and we paid to have it all replaced" another example was a guy who's engine died after the oil change clown forgot to put the plug back on. Geico had the engine replaced.

This insurance is only offered to New car purchases, so if your going to do it, you have to do it as soon as you get the car (I think you can wait a few months at most)

I think it's a great plan. suits me just fine...
Old 10-27-2002, 02:09 PM

Gray2002 NY

Gray2002 NY:

Did the car dealership give you a hard time about getting the GEICO plan versus their extended warranty? The financial person kept insisting that GEICO required the service department to use remanufactured parts, and GEICO did not pay the whole labor rate. She also said that the dealership's service department did not accept the GEICO warranty. Personally, I think she's on crack, but have you heard anything like that from the dealership where you bought your car?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 10-27-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: Gray2002 NY

Originally posted by 97RxMaXsE
Gray2002 NY:

Did the car dealership give you a hard time about getting the GEICO plan versus their extended warranty? The financial person kept insisting that GEICO required the service department to use remanufactured parts, and GEICO did not pay the whole labor rate. She also said that the dealership's service department did not accept the GEICO warranty. Personally, I think she's on crack, but have you heard anything like that from the dealership where you bought your car?

Thanks, Dennis
Dennis,

I haven't had to use it yet, but I was told that you pay Nissan up out of pocket, and are then reimbursed from Geico, less the deductable. Nissan doesn't have anything to do with Geico plan. As far as Nissan is concerned, you paying for it on your own. After the work is complete, you then turn around and submit the expenses to Geico.

Tom
Old 10-27-2002, 05:29 PM

Thanks...

Thanks for the info...

Dennis
Old 10-29-2002, 06:36 AM

Well I called around the nissan dealers here in Northern NJ and I got prices from 1200 to 1500. Anyone else from Northern, NJ have extended warranty prices?
Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM

Well I called around the nissan dealers here in Northern NJ and I got prices from 1200 to 1500. Anyone else from Northern, NJ have extended warranty prices?
You can get a Security PLUS Gold extended warranty through ANY Nissan dealer. I called Dave Burnette and the only 5-6yr warranty MORE than $1200 was the 6yr./100K.

I contacted Ken from JRNissan and his prices were:
72months/75,000 miles/$50.00 Deductible - $1288.00
72/75,000/$0.00 - $1488.00
84/100,000/$50.00 - $1632.00
84/100,000/$0.00 - $1889.00

I think we can do MUCH better than that on this board through QUANTITY, since I know they have a couple hundred worth of mark up in there. I have another connection, so I'm going to see what those prices are. We just need to find an online dealership willing to ***** themselves for cheap. I'd have no problem giving them $100 on markup above Nissans' "cost", but it sounds more like $300-600 markup is in these prices.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:54 AM

I've been considering www.1sourceautowarranty.com prices are better than Nissan, it appears that they cover more, and you have an option to pay in installments. The website has all kinds of good info. You have to select year and model with mileage , and then it will take you to a link with plans and prices. I have read everything on the site and have yet to find something to prevent me from purchasing.

Could some of you guys and gals take a look and give me/us your opinion?

MuchosGrassyAss
Old 10-29-2002, 10:03 AM

Well let me know so I can jump on the banwagon. I have only had my Max for 1.5 months and I can pull out of my warranty from Nissan. To tell you the truth I sometimes believe that I will not buy another NISSAN because of the dealerships, I wish I could find a dealership that treats customers well. Just like the Nissan Sunset commercial said's.....dream, dream, dream........
Old 11-23-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by fhaze_max
I've been considering www.1sourceautowarranty.com prices are better than Nissan, it appears that they cover more, and you have an option to pay in installments. The website has all kinds of good info. You have to select year and model with mileage , and then it will take you to a link with plans and prices. I have read everything on the site and have yet to find something to prevent me from purchasing.

Could some of you guys and gals take a look and give me/us your opinion?

MuchosGrassyAss
I wanna know too if anybody has bought extended warranty thru any online websites???

I also got a letter in mail from AFC -Warranty Division (877-718-0260). I called & talked to Josh who said they are offering me an extended warranty up to 100k miles for $1,994 & this covers everything except cosmetics (upholstery, seats, brakes..). He said the way it would work is if something goes wrong with my car. I take it any Shop (even Nissan) & I take my contract sheet there & when work is done they call their# to get a corporate C.C.# to charge it to & I pay nothing for the work done. But after reading this thread that price is kinda HIGH.......
Old 11-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Banned

I just got my 2003 Max today (picking it up Monday), and the salesman told me I have until Monday to tell him whether I want extended warranty. The two types that I was considering are the 5yr/60,000 B-B and the 7yr/100,000 B-B. The 5 yr one is for $831 (+/- $20), and the 7yr is $1331. This is obviously a serious markup based on what others on this thread have stated (someone got a 100,000 for like $700). I TOO would definitely like to know if I can (1) still negotiate the price of the warranty even though I already paid for the car, and (2) whether it would be safer/better to go with an online vendor or GEICO or someone else?

Has anyone used an online warranty vendor and actually had some work done that was reimbursed? I'd like to know if they end up covering everything that they say they do, and whether it's safe to go with them. If you have any online vendors that you have used to your satisfaction, please let us know who these are.

Thanks.