5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brakes...new rotors...RUSTED

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:46 AM

Brakes...new rotors...RUSTED

Guys, I just paid for a new brake system and I got new rotors on the front. I have had them for about 3 weeks and it has been raining here for about the last week. Now the rotors have rust all over them. Is this normal??

The rust is also making the brakes sqeak when I come to a stop It never did this before. So the judder is gone, but replaced with rust and squeaks. Dang, I can't win
Old 10-28-2002, 06:55 AM
jjs

Re: Brakes...new rotors...RUSTED

Originally posted by Texasguy
Guys, I just paid for a new brake system and I got new rotors on the front. I have had them for about 3 weeks and it has been raining here for about the last week. Now the rotors have rust all over them. Is this normal??

The rust is also making the brakes sqeak when I come to a stop It never did this before. So the judder is gone, but replaced with rust and squeaks. Dang, I can't win
I often have that happen to both the car (garaged) and truck (not). It happens after washing them and letting them sit overnight without driving or even with high humidity days (like we don't have those down here).

I occassionally feel the 'squeal' but it goes away after two or three stops from 35mph or higher.

I would say not big deal (other than cosmetically).
Old 10-28-2002, 07:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

Ditto, it'll go away after a couple of stops. Well, at least until the next time there's a lot of moisture and your car sits for a while.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Ditto, it'll go away after a couple of stops. Well, at least until the next time there's a lot of moisture and your car sits for a while.
Thanks guys. Just was shocked when I came out this morning and saw that. Especially when I dropped $500...
Old 10-28-2002, 07:13 AM
jjs

Thanks guys. Just was shocked when I came out this morning and saw that. Especially when I dropped $500...
Ouch! I bet!

Just curious, didn't you have this problem with the preceeding set of rotors? Or possibly you are just paying alot more attention since dropping the $$$?
Old 10-28-2002, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Ouch! I bet!

Just curious, didn't you have this problem with the preceeding set of rotors? Or possibly you are just paying alot more attention since dropping the $$$?
jjs, you may be right. The thing is that it hardly ever rains or is humid in Dallas, so it may just be the last 10 days of rain/overcast that has caused this.

But, after you spend cash on a mod or anthing else on my car, I always be more attention. I just was not expecting to pay this much for brakes - new rotors on front, machined on the back, new pads all the way around, etc. Not a good time around the holidays for a $500 suprise.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't worry - as the other guys have said, it'll go away. If you look at all of the cars at the dealership after a rain, they'll all have rust on the rotors too; just a thing with steel rotors, that are completely bare to moisture. It goes away as soon as the pads hit the surface.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:08 PM

Hey Warren, haven't talked to you in a while. Yeah, my stock 02 rotors get a thin coating of rust during all this crap weather we have been having around here. I swear today is the first day I have seen the sun in 10 days! Now you and I know how people in Seattle feel... The minute I put any braking action on the rotors, the friction and heat shines them up again in minutes. Drive to/from work, get a few good stops in (normal braking from 40+ down to 0...) and get out and look again. They should look freshly polished. After that, humidity and rain may make the 'rusty' look come back if they sit for more than a day. Just FYI...