5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Am I Damaging My Car by having a HAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 09:31 PM

Am I Damaging My Car by having a HAI?

I would appreciate if someone who is very knowledgable (e.g. Nissan tech) respons to this.

My concern is that there are hoses and a sensor hooked up to the stock air inlet. I left them "as is" because unplugging them would obviously cause a check engine light to go on. I am trying to understand how does the ECU work because of the change in the actual air coming in, and the readings from the sensor located on the inlet.

Is it like I am fooling the ECU (or myself) where the ECU "sees" only the same amount of air as it was programmed at the factory, but in reality, there is more air comes in and it is hotter. Would "running lean" term apply here? I have noticed that exhaust smells a bit more. Last thing I want to do is to kill my car. Would this increase the deposits inside the engine, damaging the emission components, can this burn the pistons?

I got this concern after comparing my Berk with IGOR911's new Injen Intake, where he had to remove all stock plumbing, and snap those vacuum hoses directly on the CAI tubing.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: Am I Damaging My Car by having a HAI?

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I have noticed that exhaust smells a bit more. Last thing I want to do is to kill my car.

Same thing here...
Old 10-30-2002, 10:22 AM

wtf can anyone answer this?
Old 10-30-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

You need to read up on how engines utilize it's ECU to manage the engine's functions and how each engine's sensor communicates to the ecu to aid in that management.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You need to read up on how engines utilize it's ECU to manage the engine's functions and how each engine's sensor communicates to the ecu to aid in that management.

Jeff, duh! There is too much info to absorb, and I thought that someone can paraphrase. I don't need to know what each hose is there for but to understand two things:

1) how does my current setup affects the fuel/air ratio
2) what are the consequences
Old 10-30-2002, 10:58 AM

From Looking at Big Dog's short ram intake this past weekend, he still had all of the hoses going to his intake! I would highly consider you to take that cheapy berk off and considering an upgrade to a real aftermarket intake before something happens to your engine. I am SURPRISED by my cars performance after having the injen CAI for about 400 miles now. All i have to say is "WOW!" The performance increase has def. gone up and the sound is PRICELESS
Old 10-30-2002, 11:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's a joruney worth taking. You will learn alot about how a car works.

1) You set up might affect the amount of air coming in, but within the capability of the maf/ecu, it won't affect the a/f ratios. That's dictated by a host of other sensors.
2) Consenquences are probably more from oil on the maf sensor's hot wire(from an improperly serviced filter)

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

Jeff, duh! There is too much info to absorb, and I thought that someone can paraphrase. I don't need to know what each hose is there for but to understand two things:

1) how does my current setup affects the fuel/air ratio
2) what are the consequences
Old 10-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Igor911
From Looking at Big Dog's short ram intake this past weekend, he still had all of the hoses going to his intake! I would highly consider you to take that cheapy berk off and considering an upgrade to a real aftermarket intake before something happens to your engine. I am SURPRISED by my cars performance after having the injen CAI for about 400 miles now. All i have to say is "WOW!" The performance increase has def. gone up and the sound is PRICELESS
Igor, my man, you are nice guy, but I don't think you should be handing out performance advice after looking at that intake install this weekend.

I actually took OFF the Injen this week and found I had more power coming from the SHORT STACK Franken. Yep, that's right, the Franken has much more power than the Injen. I put the Injen on in the summer because the hot air was killin the power, but once it got colder I knew I had to go back. I honestly thought the Injen was just doing great and the power was just as good as it was with the Frankentake; well, I was wrong. It didnt even take my car the normal 5 days to learn proccess, right away it knew it liked the mass air. From the first time I drove it again the power was much more present than it had been all this fall with the Injen. Unfortunately the Injen doesnt feed enough air to the motor when it wants it.

GXE-R - Do what you want to do. HAI vs. CAI, it is all the same. Modders have been doing it for a long time. Your ECU is smart, it will adjust, if there is a problem it will let you know (SES light). Enjoy.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900

Igor, my man, you are nice guy, but I don't think you should be handing out performance advice after looking at that intake install this weekend.

By the way - that was an inside joke for the guys that were there this weekend.

Also, I don't think Dixit would not have gotten the #'s he did this weekend with that CAI still on. I am sure of it.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:49 PM

I actually took OFF the Injen this week and found I had more power coming from the SHORT STACK Franken. Yep, that's right, the Franken has much more power than the Injen. I put the Injen on in the summer because the hot air was killin the power, but once it got colder I knew I had to go back. I honestly thought the Injen was just doing great and the power was just as good as it was with the Frankentake; well, I was wrong. It didnt even take my car the normal 5 days to learn proccess, right away it knew it liked the mass air. From the first time I drove it again the power was much more present than it had been all this fall with the Injen. Unfortunately the Injen doesnt feed enough air to the motor when it wants it.

GXE-R - Do what you want to do. HAI vs. CAI, it is all the same. Modders have been doing it for a long time. Your ECU is smart, it will adjust, if there is a problem it will let you know (SES light). Enjoy.
LOL yeah, but i did a great job of demonstrating that it is possible to stick the CAI into places where its not suppose to be installed Took jason and i like 15 mins to get that sucker out
Old 10-30-2002, 01:07 PM
It's chrome alright...

please tell me this didn't involve a gerbil named Raggot and someone yelling "Armageddon".

Originally posted by Igor911

LOL yeah, but i did a great job of demonstrating that it is possible to stick the CAI into places where its not suppose to be installed Took jason and i like 15 mins to get that sucker out
Old 10-30-2002, 02:08 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
please tell me this didn't involve a gerbil named Raggot and someone yelling "Armageddon".

what in the heck are you 5th gen guys doing in here???
Old 10-30-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by bags533

what in the heck are you 5th gen guys doing in here???
Sorry, but i dont think i get the joke?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm glad to hear that you are resatisfied, hopefully i'll have the heatshield done by the time spring comes back around and if your interested i'll give ya one for that little mishap we had with your order, this way ou can keep it on all year. tell Dixit i said hi and i hope they find who broke his car. i would kill someones if they took my TV ect.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

i'm glad to hear that you are resatisfied, hopefully i'll have the heatshield done by the time spring comes back around and if your interested i'll give ya one for that little mishap we had with your order, this way ou can keep it on all year. tell Dixit i said hi and i hope they find who broke his car. i would kill someones if they took my TV ect.
No problem. I must say the intake realy impressed me again. I thought they felt about the same.... I guess because I put the Injen on when it was soooo hot that it actually had a better feeling. Then when it got cold it stayed the same, like sucking through a straw.

Once I put the Franken back on the car just took off! It was nice to feel that again.

I will link Dixit to this so he sees your comments.

R
Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

No problem. I must say the intake realy impressed me again. I thought they felt about the same.... I guess because I put the Injen on when it was soooo hot that it actually had a better feeling. Then when it got cold it stayed the same, like sucking through a straw.

Once I put the Franken back on the car just took off! It was nice to feel that again.

I will link Dixit to this so he sees your comments.

R
good to hear, i'll keep you updated on the heatshield.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:15 PM

I got concerned because the inside of my muffler is now covered in some black residue, I thought that my A/F ratio changed and I am f***g up my car. HAI sounds much better, and for the money, you cant beat it. The loss of low-end torque can be lived with, especially if I was still able to spin it in 1st and 2nd gears with my 18" wheels on.