5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Max SE --Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Max SE --Issues

We have had our New Maxima for less than a week and so far here is a list of complaints.

Nice car but here is what negatives we have noticed (I will post some positives after a couple more weeks).

1) Power seat memory. Unless we overlooked (a possibility at this point still) something the seat memory does not work and according to the factory sticker label it is only valid with an A/T. We ordered a Manual 6sp but the buttons are still there on the door and so far do not function. If the Factory sticker is correct this really sucks having the buttons in place with no use.
If i discover that this is user error I will post a follow up.

2) The gas and break pedal are to close together. This is fine for my wife but is very annoying for me and my size 12 1/2 feet.

3) Navigation GPS
You have to hit enter every time to clear a warning display. What idiot attorney cam up with this one. We are not all 16 year olds. ALso after opting for this $2k option you still have to purchase additional CD's for other areas at a cost of $150 per disc.
I must say except for the above the GPS navigation is slick and works well so far.

4) Steering---It is still early but so far either the steering box or suspension are kind of funny. The car seems to over correct and does not handle or steer as well as our 93 Max SE. We may have to opt for some minor suspension mods to correct this. Anyone have any advice on tis one?

This Maxima was ordered with all major options (Titanium , Meridian and leather).
Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2003 Max SE --Issues

Originally posted by jakeblade
We have had our New Maxima for less than a week and so far here is a list of complaints.

Nice car but here is what negatives we have noticed (I will post some positives after a couple more weeks).

1) Power seat memory. Unless we overlooked (a possibility at this point still) something the seat memory does not work and according to the factory sticker label it is only valid with an A/T. We ordered a Manual 6sp but the buttons are still there on the door and so far do not function. If the Factory sticker is correct this really sucks having the buttons in place with no use.

2) The gas and break pedal are to close together. This is fine for my wife but is very annoying for me and my size 12 1/2 feet.

3) Navigation GPS
You have to hit enter every time to clear a warning display. What idiot attorney cam up with this one. We are not all 16 year olds. ALso after opting for this $2k option you still have to purchase additional CD's for other areas at a cost of $150 per disc.
I must say except for the above the GPS navigation is slick and works well so far.

4) Steering---It is still early but so far either the steering box or suspension are kind of funny. The car seems to over correct and does not handle or steer as well as our 93 Max SE. We may have to opt for some minor suspension mods to correct this. Anyone have any advice on tis one?

This Maxima was ordered with all major options (Titanium , Meridian and leather).
1) The power memory seats don't have the same function as in the auto, but can still be programmed with your settings and then restored via the buttons.

2) Can't comment, I wear an 8 1/2 so I have no problem with them.

3) Nissan, I believe, is not the only one who does this. I think Lexus and ohers do as well. I can imagine that it is annoying, but in this day and age of sue happy people, I don't blame them.

4) The suspension is weak in my opinion as well. Adjustable struts and lowering springs are in my future. For a cheap suspension mod, I recommend a Rear Sway Bar, it will reduce body roll considerably and only costs about $100.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will check the power seat setting agian.

As for the suspension I will definately go with the sway bar. I am not inclined to lower the vehicle but what type of adjustable struts do you recomend. Its been a very long time since I modified a car and back when I did KYB's were the preferred so I am not sure what is recomended now days. My wife drives hard into the corners and we will get up to only about 100mph so we will be looking for something relatively stiff but not super stiff.

Thanks again in advance for everyone reply.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:50 PM

i dont know how you can have a problem with the pedals. i have size 14 shoes and the pedals are fine where they are. i wish i had more room to heel toe though.

as for the suspension, try a rear sway bar and front strut tower bar. this alone will give a car the stiffer felling by reducing body roll. if you need to go further then look into some aftermarket stuts.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:22 PM
swallac2

Re: 2003 Max SE --Issues

Originally posted by jakeblade

3) Navigation GPS

Check the switch by the steering wheel heater, make sure it is on. The seat will not auto exit like an auto car will, but it can be programmed for your positions.

Old 10-30-2002, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by silverkorn
i dont know how you can have a problem with the pedals. i have size 14 shoes and the pedals are fine where they are. i wish i had more room to heel toe though.

as for the suspension, try a rear sway bar and front strut tower bar. this alone will give a car the stiffer felling by reducing body roll. if you need to go further then look into some aftermarket stuts.
Really??? I've got size 13 shoes and I'm always finding that my foot hits the gas when I hit the brake I've noticed that these manual trans. pedals are much closer than my 97 T/A. However, other than that, the Max is soooooooo much better
Old 10-30-2002, 08:29 PM

I have size 14 feet and I've never had a problem with the gas and brake pedal being to close.

Get a rear sway bar if you wanna tighten the car up a bit.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:41 PM

Yes, I wear a size 14 also but I have the 2k1 auto, so maybe its different with the manual. If you get racing petals maybe you will have an easier time :shrug:.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:16 AM

About the seat memory..

The seat will return to the memory position when the seat auto button is on. The button beside the heated steering wheel.

Take me a while to find that out, hope that will help.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by emax95
I have size 14 feet and I've never had a problem with the gas and brake pedal being to close.

Get a rear sway bar if you wanna tighten the car up a bit.
DAMN MAN! Size 14? No wonder your car is so fast.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:13 AM

RSB all the way for the body roll, but you'll never fix the loose feeling of the steering wheel. The road feed back is terrible. I still think the car is in a class of it's own. Near luxury with a sports car engine.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:25 AM

My 2003 SE is one month old today. I like it (in general), but agree that the pedals are way too close (automatic). The suspension is a lot like the buses I drove in Japan, and the mixed Halogen/HID is tacky.

Also, newer BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infinity, Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury all have the warning screen agreement on the GPS systems. It is a PITA to agree each time you start your car/truck, but I see why.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:56 AM

Hrm...

1) Power seat memory - mine works fine. Position the seat where you want it, turn car ignition on, press "set", press and hold "1" or "2" for about a sec, memory saved. Funny (and annoying) thing is that the car has to be ON for the button to work.... which helps me NONE because I am 6' tall and the other driver of my car is 5'3". So I end up reaching in, turning on the ignition, and then pressing my button to move the seat back. Kinda annoying, but I'm hoping to fix this soon utilitizing my alarm and some fancy wiring.

2) The gas and break pedal are to close together - sorry.... I race mine, and I wish mine were a little closer together (6 speed). It'd make it easier to heel-and-toe the gas/brake. Maybe I'll just find a local shop to fabricate me a new pedal.

3) Navigation GPS - didn't get it because it was CD based. CDs are annoying when it comes to Nav, and I didn't want to give Nissan another $1200 for CDs. So I'll get Nav aftermarket

4) Steering - 2 things. Get the Addco (or Stillen) RSB. Definitely helps on suspension. 2nd... don't try to make U-turns on anything narrower than a 4 lane interstate-sized road. It can't turn for crap. Manufacturing/designing flaw in my opinion.