5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N Drop In.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 02:29 PM

Has anyone really noticed any Difference with this upgrade? Has anyone dyno'd their car after making some simple mods like that.

Does anyone have a good website so I can actually see aftermarket parts for the maxima.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2000, 02:52 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Turbo magazine reported 4hp at the wheels with their project car. Go to the links section of this site to find max performance parts.
Old 12-26-2000, 02:58 PM

Here is a good list of aftermarket parts that someone made

http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/2k_parts_list.html

sorry for the lazy link.
Old 12-26-2000, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sorry but it ain't the filter that's the restriction, it's the airbox and ducting. If you want any real gains, get the JWT/Stillen cone or the Cold Air Intake.
Old 12-29-2000, 04:37 AM

I put the K&N in my 2K BEFORE I even pulled it off the lot (took it out of the 95' when I traded it), so I can't really speak for any difference it may have made. But I CAN tell you after about 10,000 miles or so I take it out, clean it, and oil it and it makes a difference in throttle response.
As far as cold air intakes, I don't think it's worth the money unless you also do a cat back exhaust, remember...More air in, more air out = HP.
I wasn't really looking for HP by adding the K&N, I was just trying to protect my investment - MUCH better filtration. If your looking for HP go with the CAI and cat back. Just my opinion..

Old 12-29-2000, 07:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Caveat emptor . . .

Originally posted by 2KSE
I put the K&N in my 2K BEFORE I even pulled it off the lot (took it out of the 95' when I traded it), so I can't really speak for any difference it may have made. But I CAN tell you after about 10,000 miles or so I take it out, clean it, and oil it and it makes a difference in throttle response.
As far as cold air intakes, I don't think it's worth the money unless you also do a cat back exhaust, remember...More air in, more air out = HP.
I wasn't really looking for HP by adding the K&N, I was just trying to protect my investment - MUCH better filtration. If your looking for HP go with the CAI and cat back. Just my opinion..
Conflicting data exists about the K&N Panel Filter's filtering effectiveness. Take a look at:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

FYI, Amsoil products are highly regarded among auto enthusiasts. In my opinion, their comments should not be taken lightly.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 09:47 AM]
Old 12-29-2000, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by 2KSE

from the tests I've seen, the stock paper filters are the best at filtration. Most aftermarket units require the oil to trap the particles since their more free-flowing design would allow the particles to enter if it were not for the oil.
Old 12-29-2000, 11:28 AM

Yeah BUT...

I know Amsoil is a highly respected company and they make a great product, but let's remember the source of the information - the bar graph they show. I really have a hard time believing that a well maintained gauze (K&N) filter has LESS filtering ability than a paper, I just don't buy it.
As for the Amsoil being better than a K&N? Well they may be, I don't have the test equipment to find out. Just don't believe everything you read, anywhere. If you look at the K&N advertising they claim the paper is way inferior to the oiled gauze - who can you trust in this world today?
Well I sleep better at night thinking that I am doing something good for my Max, I just have a hard time accepting the fact that paper is better ?!

Old 12-29-2000, 12:21 PM

Re: Yeah BUT...

I guess it depends on whose data you want to believe, 2KSE. Here's a little more info you might find interesting:

http://www.wagoneers.com/AMSOIL/kn-v...g-to-john.html
Old 12-29-2000, 05:14 PM

K&N?

I have been running a conical K&N on my other car (ford) for about 70,000 miles and have not had any problems. Don't know what to do on my max? Any independent research done out there?
Old 12-29-2000, 05:17 PM

Re: K&N?

Originally posted by theMax
I have been running a conical K&N on my other car (ford) for about 70,000 miles and have not had any problems. Don't know what to do on my max? Any independent research done out there?
More pleats on the cone filters equals better filtration, or so I'm led to believe. Don't ask me why, though. I'm not an engineer.
Old 12-29-2000, 10:30 PM

K&N not as good as paper

This assumption that K&N/cotton gauze filter mediums are better at filtration than paper has been consistantly been proven false.

Ask the BMW guys or the Scooby guys in the UK. One of the BMW tuners did an actual SCIENTIFIC experiment using different filtering media to see if the claims hold up. And they found that they didn't. Sorry, but this is about as unbiased a study as your going to find. (you can find a link to view the results throughout the many BMW pages)

The fact is K&N doesn't filter better than paper. But the main question is whether the crap that gets thru is large enough to actually do any harm. My inclination is NO.

The second major claim to fame for K&N is the additional flow. The answer is yes and no. Yes if the filter is new/cleaned, no if the filter has over a couple of thousand miles on it. You can find some flow graphs from the above mentioned BMW test as well as the Scooby tuners web pages. As the K&N loads up w/ dirt, the flow rate takes a drastic nose dive.

Since I haven't seen the dyno testing from Turbo regarding the panel filter, let's assume that there is a gain in HP. In order to keep this gain, you're gonna have to clean the filter during the same intervals as you would change your oil, if not sooner. Is it worth it? As a gearhead, hell yeah!

The other assumption that the many pleats of a conical K&N is the reason for its 'superior' filtering properties is absolutely untrue. The reason for adding pleats is to add surface area for flow. This is FACT. The secondary benefit for more surface area is the ability to trap more dirt before flow is severely compromised, thus lending to a longer time period b/t cleanings or replacement.
Old 12-30-2000, 06:43 AM

Re: K&N not as good as paper

Originally posted by mhgsx
The other assumption that the many pleats of a conical K&N is the reason for its 'superior' filtering properties is absolutely untrue. The reason for adding pleats is to add surface area for flow. This is FACT. The secondary benefit for more surface area is the ability to trap more dirt before flow is severely compromised, thus lending to a longer time period b/t cleanings or replacement.
Thanks mhgsx. I stand corrected.