5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Radar (Bel 980) Hardwire -- Cable Question ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:02 PM

Radar (Bel 980) Hardwire -- Cable Question ....

Hi Folks:

Finally decided to hardwire my Bel 980 ... Its saved me quite a number of times...

Am following the hardwire instructions on the various threads that have been posted.
Nearly all of them require that u cut the cord and tap it in.

I want to use my detector in my wife's car once in a while - so I need my stock cigarette lighter cord intact
Is there anywhere to get the specs of this cable ( like guage, rating etc ?) and also of the plug ?
Any ideas where I can buy them ( radioshack? ) -- please help me here.
I want to buy and use any other cable that is compatible.

Also ideas on how to wire an in-line fuse ????? What to buy ( other than the fuse itself ? )

Bel wants something like $13 just for the cable -- that looks like a rip-off --> plus shipping and all that - I was hoping to do this over the weekend.

Ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Radar (Bel 980) Hardwire -- Cable Question ....

Originally posted by max2k1SE
Hi Folks:

Finally decided to hardwire my Bel 980 ... Its saved me quite a number of times...

Am following the hardwire instructions on the various threads that have been posted.
Nearly all of them require that u cut the cord and tap it in.

I want to use my detector in my wife's car once in a while - so I need my stock cigarette lighter cord intact
Is there anywhere to get the specs of this cable ( like guage, rating etc ?) and also of the plug ?
Any ideas where I can buy them ( radioshack? ) -- please help me here.
I want to buy and use any other cable that is compatible.

Also ideas on how to wire an in-line fuse ????? What to buy ( other than the fuse itself ? )

Bel wants something like $13 just for the cable -- that looks like a rip-off --> plus shipping and all that - I was hoping to do this over the weekend.

Ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Try going to a local Radio Shack or something. Look for the stuff with the radar detector stuff or speak to someone who knows what the hell they are talking about. YOu can also goto a stereo place (prices maybe higher there) or a Circuit City. But make sure the cable will fit your detector. The inline fuse should be easy to install. If you're not comfortable with that, then order the stuff from Bel to save yourself the headache.

Andrew