5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leaky moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 04:56 PM

Leaky moonroof

Okay, does anyone have a leaking moonroof problem? I went into a touchfree car wash (twice) and water started seeping down the moonroof (the side toward the rear of the car). I parked it outside overnight when it was raining and the next morning, I noticed two drops of water inside the rubber seal of the moonroof (also the side towards the rear of the car). I took it to the dealer and they did the water test and they didn't find anything. What's with that?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:29 PM

Re: Leaky moonroof

Originally posted by CarMan
Okay, does anyone have a leaking moonroof problem? I went into a touchfree car wash (twice) and water started seeping down the moonroof (the side toward the rear of the car). I parked it outside overnight when it was raining and the next morning, I noticed two drops of water inside the rubber seal of the moonroof (also the side towards the rear of the car). I took it to the dealer and they did the water test and they didn't find anything. What's with that?
Is it possible that water jet was strong enough to force water through the seal? How did the dealer test?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: Leaky moonroof

Is you car new? Been wrecked?

Originally posted by Green_2

Is it possible that water jet was strong enough to force water through the seal? How did the dealer test?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my friend's 2k2 altima is having the same problem...the dealer fixed it 3 times already......
Old 11-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Donating Member

Good luck. My '02 leaks like a sieve. I actually first complained about wind noise to the dealer and it's still not right. They even tried replacing the glass since the weatherstriping is attached to the glass. Still not happy. I can actually see sunlight come in through the seal. As for the touchless, the water force will make it leak and no dealer will try to fix that. But, if rain is seeping in that's an issue. Mine actually gurgles in the rain from the air leaking through the wet seal. Poor, poor quality.

FYI - document to the delaer the exact condition of your roof BEFORE they touch it. They actually dented mine and wrecked the sunroof deflector trying to fix it.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Leaky moonroof

Man, that's ___ed up. I can stand on top of my car with a fire hose and my roof doesn't leak. I'd be a little cheesed off.

Originally posted by Pangburn

Good luck. My '02 leaks like a sieve. I actually first complained about wind noise to the dealer and it's still not right. They even tried replacing the glass since the weatherstriping is attached to the glass. Still not happy. I can actually see sunlight come in through the seal. As for the touchless, the water force will make it leak and no dealer will try to fix that. But, if rain is seeping in that's an issue. Mine actually gurgles in the rain from the air leaking through the wet seal. Poor, poor quality.

FYI - document to the delaer the exact condition of your roof BEFORE they touch it. They actually dented mine and wrecked the sunroof deflector trying to fix it.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:18 PM
I live life on the edge

Yes it is actually supposed to leak. that's the way it was designed to be according to nissan. They say that there is no way to get the glass to fit so tight that water will not enter. There is actually a tray in the roof that catches all of the water and drains it away from the inside the car. Mine does it to.

Old 11-18-2002, 09:28 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

while it *can* leak, its not really supposed to. Always make sure your drains are clear of debris when detailing that area.

First, get some conditioner for doorseal rubber at Napa/Pepboys and carefully wipe down the seal where you can. (open and do the front, tilt and do the rear). Dont get any of it on your paint.. and give it time to dry and wipe off any excess.

Look to see if the seal is deformed when closed. Our pathfinder had misadjusted glass. After making 2-3 trips to the dealer and getting the run around, I realized the procedure wasnt in the FSM so they wouldnt touch it. However, there are only 4 10mm nuts to loosen after the cover is popped off. With the sunroof closed, it is possible to realign the glass so the seal fits better (if squished when closed like ours was). In fact, when the roof was tilted, it would pinch the seal which would have ripped it over time, so I took matters into my own hands.

while this procedure couldnt be easier, getting the proper torque back on those nuts is a bit scary. I dont recommend anyone who cant take the potential expensive resposibility for their own actions attempt it. YOU MUST TIGHTEN IT CAREFULLY. yet tight enought that it doesnt loosen and fly off. you also have to make sure that aftwards the seal isnt binding anywhere.

Its really fisher price stuff, but I doubt anyone would have problems doing it, but really.. let the dealer do it if you can, if they will... mine wouldnt
Old 11-18-2002, 09:34 PM

My understanding

is that sunroofs are not watertight but water resistant. There are guides along the roof part of the window that allow the water to flow back and down drain lines that run down the rear quarter panels. I had a problem with my 89SE after I had a power antenna replaced. The guy who installed the antenna crimped one of the drain lines and on a few bad days the water would soak my inner liner. My mechanic tried using an air hose to clear the line but found it was crimped shut. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:51 PM

i noticed water dripping in my car where the plastic on the A pillar meets the headliner fabric. the dealer said the dranage hose for my sunroof had either become disconnected or was clogged (i cant remember which one) maybe you have a similar problem.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:19 PM

Okay, mine is a Canadian Spec 2003 SE with 3000 km on it.

Is that tray on the rear suppose to catch water? So I should be expecting water coming down even if it's closed???

I don't think it's supposed to leak anything. I mean, Nissan would expect people going to touchfree car washes right?? The Manual doesn't say to avoid high water pressure around the sunroof!

Next time, I will drive it to the car wash then leave the water all inside the sunshade and go straight to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:26 PM
I live life on the edge

When the sunroof is closed the sunshade should not get wet. If you have the sunshade open while your in the car wash, you will notice water dripping past the rubber weather stripping. It shouldn't be flowing, but a slight drip. This water should be going into the tray to be disposed of. Nothing in the car should get wet. If things in the car are getting wet, you have a problem.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:56 PM

Wind Noise

My moon roof has terrible wind noise. I could tell (from the sound) that while the glass was closing... just prior to fully closed, it was getting a better seal. So, I watched the closing action in my driveway a bunch of times and could tell when the best seal was occuring. What I do now is lightly tap the TILT UP button... just once, and I get a MUCH better seal. I've left it like that for days... washed it, rain, car wash.. No Leak... Less Noise.

Works for Me .... give it a try.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:35 PM

Re: Wind Noise

I had the same problem with the wind noise and I do the same thing you mentioned below. Once the sunroof is closed, I tap the TILT UP button.

This lets the sunroof sit more tightly becuase when it is all the way closed, you will notice that the metal bar pushes the sunroof which makes a really tiny gap where you might be able to see sunlight.

Originally posted by pcusick3
My moon roof has terrible wind noise. I could tell (from the sound) that while the glass was closing... just prior to fully closed, it was getting a better seal. So, I watched the closing action in my driveway a bunch of times and could tell when the best seal was occuring. What I do now is lightly tap the TILT UP button... just once, and I get a MUCH better seal. I've left it like that for days... washed it, rain, car wash.. No Leak... Less Noise.

Works for Me .... give it a try.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM

I am a new member and have a similar issue with the moon roof on our 2003 Maxima. We purchased the car new. I do not ever see any water, but I noticed a small water stain on the headliner on the far driver side and on the sun shade on that side as well. Can someone tell me where the drains are located and how many there are?

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I figured it was relevant and better than starting a new one.