5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

speed limiter/governor....???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 01:38 AM
dkla

I had my Maxima for about 3 months. Until today I was kind of "breaking it in" - driving no more than 80. Today I tried to go as fast as it goes - I only got to about 130 MPH, and the power just cut off. I was totaly pissed!!! I mean I got this car thinking it'll go 150-160 MPH and it definately could've gone that fast if the engine just kept running. Got home furious and hit the Net, found out some stuff about speed limitors and governors, but PLEASE I need to know a way to fix this. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!!!

Old 12-29-2000, 05:39 AM

don't know how to fix it...I bought a stick to avoid it...I've gone 148 so far.
Old 12-29-2000, 06:31 AM

The governer is part of the ECU (Engine Control Unit: computer) program. If you can get a reprogramed ECU, from a place like JWT, it will fix this.
Old 12-29-2000, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by dkla
I had my Maxima for about 3 months. Until today I was kind of "breaking it in" - driving no more than 80. Today I tried to go as fast as it goes - I only got to about 130 MPH, and the power just cut off. I was totaly pissed!!! I mean I got this car thinking it'll go 150-160 MPH and it definately could've gone that fast if the engine just kept running. Got home furious and hit the Net, found out some stuff about speed limitors and governors, but PLEASE I need to know a way to fix this. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!!!
Look out! You don't want to do anything that might void your warranty!
Old 12-29-2000, 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A voice of reason . . .

Originally posted by warrlocked
Thanks, warrlocked. The same caution could be given to those contemplating any number of mods including Y-pipes, superchargers, NOS, underdrive pulleys, etc.

When it comes to keeping your warranty intact, discretion is the better part of valor.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 10:11 AM]
Old 12-29-2000, 02:18 PM
PRINCE NISMO

Re: A voice of reason . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
Originally posted by warrlocked
Thanks, warrlocked. The same caution could be given to those contemplating any number of mods including Y-pipes, superchargers, NOS, underdrive pulleys, etc.

When it comes to keeping your warranty intact, discretion is the better part of valor.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 10:11 AM]
y2kse, I have a question? Since the Y-pipe will still make a 5th gen pass emissions do you think a dealer would void the warranty for other mechanical problems since the car is still legal. I'm interested to find out if you know of others have faced this problem before I put one on.

Old 12-29-2000, 03:41 PM

how often do you need to go that fast? who cares?
Old 12-29-2000, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: A voice of reason . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PRINCE NISMO
y2kse, I have a question? Since the Y-pipe will still make a 5th gen pass emissions do you think a dealer would void the warranty for other mechanical problems since the car is still legal. I'm interested to find out if you know of others have faced this problem before I put one on.
Regardless of whether you can pass the emissions tests with a Y-pipe on, you will not pass the visual inspection. And Nissan will only void your warranty if they can establish that the Y-pipe caused or contributed to the issue for which you're seeking warranty repairs. Having said that, be advised that if Nissan finds one mod on your vehicle, they'll very likely look around to see what else you've done. And while the Y-pipe may not void your warranty, some other modification might.

Whenever possible, I'd strongly recommend that put your vehicle back to stock BEFORE you take it to your dealer for warranty repairs.
Old 12-29-2000, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
how often do you need to go that fast? who cares?
Excellent questions, NYC2SD. On the other hand, what sense does it make to have a 160 mph speedometer if you can't go that fast?
Old 12-29-2000, 04:56 PM

Excellent questions, NYC2SD. On the other hand, what sense does it make to have a 160 mph speedometer if you can't go that fast?
Thats because at the rev limiter in 5th gear the maxima would be doing around 160mph. Besides it would only take like 250fwhp to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. Easily done with a supercharger.
Old 12-29-2000, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

Thats because at the rev limiter in 5th gear the maxima would be doing around 160mph. Besides it would only take like 250fwhp to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. Easily done with a supercharger.
If the governor was removed, why wouldn't a stock NA 5th Gen Maxima be capable of hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear?
Old 12-29-2000, 06:37 PM
scoots'00

If the governor was removed, why wouldn't a stock NA 5th Gen Maxima be capable of hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear?
It may not be able to pull to that RPM because the engine doesn't produce the horsepower (actually torque) required to overcome the greater load from the increased aerodynamic drag. At high speeds this load becomes much greater than the friction load.
I remember some early 80s cars being capable of higher speeds in 4th gear than in 5th gear. Road tests from Road & Track indicated maximum speed in each gear. In many cases 5th was an extreme ratio (4th was usually already an overdrive). This was done to reduce engine rpm and increase fuel economy.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Scoots'00

Old 12-29-2000, 07:36 PM

Chips...

I've heard you can get performance chips that get rid of the governor.

Originally posted by scoots'00

It may not be able to pull to that RPM because the engine doesn't produce the horsepower (actually torque) required to overcome the greater load from the increased aerodynamic drag. At high speeds this load becomes much greater than the friction load.
I remember some early 80s cars being capable of higher speeds in 4th gear than in 5th gear. Road tests from Road & Track indicated maximum speed in each gear. In many cases 5th was an extreme ratio (4th was usually already an overdrive). This was done to reduce engine rpm and increase fuel economy.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Scoots'00
Old 12-29-2000, 09:39 PM

#1 your stock tires are rated for a certain speed (it differs, depending on which you have... i believe teh 17" potenzas are somewhere around 150mph)...

some have speculated here, that those speed limits might be there out of legal concerns.. (allowing you to go faster than the stock tires can handle?? especially if you have gxe stock) I also believe the gxe's are limited to a slower speed than the SE's....

#2. Ya.. the faster you go, the more resistive force there is due to our atmosphere.... Big time... its a really complicated physics thing... (i mean, really complicated... some people spend lifetimes studying friction/aerodynamics/etc.)

Originally posted by scoots'00

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Scoots'00
Old 12-29-2000, 11:44 PM

i am assuming that all maximas have governors.. what about a 2k gle.. what speed would u estimate the governor would kick in for one of those.. automatic that is with no mods.
?
Old 12-30-2000, 06:29 PM

Oh.. one more thing, this isn't a problem/bug... it's a FEATURE...

I'd like to see someone try to explain to their dealer/nissan, etc, that their car is broken because it won't go above 148mph...

Anyone still doubt that computers are trying to take over??

-Tom