5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake issues (split from TSB)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:53 PM

TSB on rotors

If there is an issue with the rotors for the 2000 Maxima them I am assuming that it is the exact same issue for the 2001.
I myself have warped rotors and do not drive and brake aggressively.
Does the TSB cover the 2001 Maxima?
And another question.
Why does Nissan cover the rotors for this problem for 36,000 miles.
I believe it should be their responsibility to fix the problem.
Regardless of mileage. I currently have 42,000 miles on my 2001 Maxima. I want a permanent fix not just turning the rotors and smoothing them out. I have seen else where that the rotors on the Maxima are too small for the weight of the vehicle thus causing premature warping. Insight and discussion into this issue would be welcome.

If it is not possible to hold Nissan liable at this point, I would like to know if rotors such as brembo will take care of the warping issue. Is the warping caused by to small rotors for weight of car or is it just the quality of the Nissan rotors?

Thanks,

Kevinsean23
Old 11-05-2002, 07:55 PM

TSB on rotors

If there is an issue with the rotors for the 2000 Maxima them I am assuming that it is the exact same issue for the 2001.
I myself have warped rotors and do not drive and brake aggressively.
Does the TSB cover the 2001 Maxima?
And another question.
Why does Nissan cover the rotors for this problem for 36,000 miles.
I believe it should be their responsibility to fix the problem.
Regardless of mileage. I currently have 42,000 miles on my 2001 Maxima. I want a permanent fix not just turning the rotors and smoothing them out. I have seen else where that the rotors on the Maxima are too small for the weight of the vehicle thus causing premature warping. Insight and discussion into this issue would be welcome.

If it is not possible to hold Nissan liable at this point, I would like to know if rotors such as brembo will take care of the premature warping issue. Is the warping caused by too small rotors for weight of car or is it just the quality of the Nissan rotors?

Thanks,

Kevinsean23
Old 11-07-2002, 01:15 PM

Rotors on the 2001 are DEFINITELY covered by the 3yr /36,000 mile warrantee. I just went through this with Nissan on their 800 customer service line and they reimbursed me for the $100+ paid to the dealer earlier to cut the rotors. By the way, it was a good fix but I'd guess that a good aftermarket rotors are better. The reason that the warrantee doesn't go beyond the 3/36 is that this is not part of engine or transmission. Also, around 40K + is time to change pads and service brakes on most cars.
By the way, they fought me like hell when I brought this problem to them around 24,000 mi, and I had to pay at that time. You may have a good argument that the dealer did not accept responsibility when you brought this to their attention during the warrantee.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are the brake pads covered by the rotor tsb?

These damn nissan dealers are so shadyyyyyyy. First the service rep was so positive that the rotors are not warrantied for 3/36. Tells me my pads are fine the rotors are warped and need to be turned. Now only a day later. The rotors are covered but he claims that I need new pads. Are the pads covered????
Old 11-20-2002, 09:42 AM
OG and counting...

Re: Are the brake pads covered by the rotor tsb?

Originally posted by edmax
These damn nissan dealers are so shadyyyyyyy. First the service rep was so positive that the rotors are not warrantied for 3/36. Tells me my pads are fine the rotors are warped and need to be turned. Now only a day later. The rotors are covered but he claims that I need new pads. Are the pads covered????
I want to know this myself. I think this needs to be addressed because I just had the rotors switched and I think they are roasting again due to the pads.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:22 AM

NTB02-084 - clutch howl

alright, i need some help. i'm getting the plates replaced next week but the service rep is unsure whether or not this includes the throw-out bearing. i'm sure this is the cause of the uneven wear of the plates and i really don't feel like having to bring it back again in 6 months. if anybody has had this tsb-based repair done can you reply with your .02 cents? thanks.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:39 PM

Re: Are the brake pads covered by the rotor tsb?

Originally posted by edmax
Whenever the rotors are cut the pads should be changed as standard procedure. Who knows how bad the rotors were warped and how uneven the wear could be on the pads. That's basic common sense even the dealer should understand!

I took my 02 in for the warped rotor deal with only 100 miles on the car. The dealer cut the rotors and installed new pads as per the TSB with no charge to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:01 PM
ABS

Re: NTB02-084 - clutch howl

Originally posted by raprazant
alright, i need some help. i'm getting the plates replaced next week but the service rep is unsure whether or not this includes the throw-out bearing. i'm sure this is the cause of the uneven wear of the plates and i really don't feel like having to bring it back again in 6 months. if anybody has had this tsb-based repair done can you reply with your .02 cents? thanks.
Always replace the throw out bearing when a clutch job is done. If they refuse to cover it under warranty, pay for it yourself.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:58 AM

Well..i just bring my car back to dealer this Mon. There were some nosices came out when i hit the break. I got my car back that afternoon and they told me that they just resurface my front rotors, everything is fine now..and the best thing is NO CHARGE...

btw, they love my side marker rewire. and one of the guy in going to do that too in his car.