5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

angel eyes and clear blinker

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 08:33 PM

angel eyes and clear blinker

i have an extra 2k2 headlight thats damaged so over the long weekend i decided to see how dificult it would be to open it....well i put it in the oven and presto peace of cake..now that this was done i decided to clear the turn signal...this took a bit of time because i couldn't find a piece of clear plastic to replace the amber signal but i finally did a little customizing and i did that....so i was still bored the next day so i started on the angel eyes and that was pretty easy....i haven't took out my own headlights yet but i'm not sure if i should do the angel eyes it looks uhhhhhh i dunno i think i need a second opinion. does n e one on the board have the angel eyes done ...i would like to see a picture of what it looks like with the HIDs on. it would really influence my decision.
thanks
angel

Old 12-01-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: angel eyes and clear blinker

Originally posted by Cali2kMax
i have an extra 2k2 headlight thats damaged so over the long weekend i decided to see how dificult it would be to open it....well i put it in the oven and presto peace of cake..now that this was done i decided to clear the turn signal...this took a bit of time because i couldn't find a piece of clear plastic to replace the amber signal but i finally did a little customizing and i did that....so i was still bored the next day so i started on the angel eyes and that was pretty easy....i haven't took out my own headlights yet but i'm not sure if i should do the angel eyes it looks uhhhhhh i dunno i think i need a second opinion. does n e one on the board have the angel eyes done ...i would like to see a picture of what it looks like with the HIDs on. it would really influence my decision.
thanks
angel

thats the hottest freakin thing i have see on the org!!! nice job!!!!
i wish i had 2k2 lights!!! wink wink anyone!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 08:39 PM

man, that's off the hook. strong work. i wish i had the nerves to crack open my headlight housing to do it...
Old 12-01-2002, 08:47 PM

i have ...
thanks
angel
your name is angel too? is there any question as to whether or not you should do this?

B
Old 12-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks good, but you need to make more cuts in the plastic along the ring.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:20 PM

what did you use to make the turn signal lense? it looks like the clearance marker lense...
Old 12-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Old Timer

Originally posted by Weasel
Looks good, but you need to make more cuts in the plastic along the ring.
Does anyone know what it would look like if the leading edge of the ring was shaved completely? Like 1/4 of the way through. Would it need to be polished? Would it show all the light? I'm just shooting out questions here.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:16 PM

where did you get the plastic for your blinker?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 AM

thanks guy for all your replies....i think i'm gonna go ahead and install the angel eyes and corners next weekend .....for the turnsignal piece i cut them out with a rotary tool from some lights i bought at home depot for 8 dollas.........i did make a angel eye with more cuts but i kept it in the oven too long and it bubbled up and it affected the way it looked, heres the pics.........thanks again guys for your comments
angel

Old 12-02-2002, 01:20 AM

more pics

Old 12-02-2002, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
where did you get the plastic for your blinker?
tap plastic?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:39 AM

Damn if this dont bring respect back to Newbies I dont know what will. This was a very nice job done. I love the corner turn signal match up you did.

You should also do the angel eyes on the xenon beam as well.

Also what did you use to hold them down to the refraction part of the headlights?

Dixit
Old 12-02-2002, 01:46 AM

looks nice...

but one the angel eye u might wanna cover up or black out the ends.. where the led is.. cuz when u look at it, the ends make it harder to c the slits.. other then that.. great work..
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 AM

I like it and I think you should definately install them. Maybe custommaxima will come out with something for us too afraid of opening our own headlights...
Old 12-02-2002, 07:31 AM

you did this last year??? bottom right of pics it states 01/15/2001
Old 12-02-2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Damn if this dont bring respect back to Newbies I dont know what will. This was a very nice job done. I love the corner turn signal match up you did.

You should also do the angel eyes on the xenon beam as well.

Also what did you use to hold them down to the refraction part of the headlights?

Dixit
thanks..i was thinkning about doing that but since i use acrylic rods i'm afraid it will melt at a high temperature. i'm goin to hook the headlight to a 12v power supply and leave it over night to see if there is any damage done. i haven't secured them to the headlight yet ....i was thinking of using Plastix not to sure yet

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

you did this last year??? bottom right of pics it states 01/15/2001
nope i'm just to lazy to set the date on my digi cam
Old 12-02-2002, 05:55 PM
I miss the .org!

My feedback: It looks great! I want a fiber angel eye kit so bad for my 2K2 headlights! It would look alot better if there were two rings in each headlight, for the HID and for the highbeams.

As for the clear plastic, that looks really good. Everyone else either left it open or got some frosted plastic that didn't match up. You said you got the light at Home Depot? What section or type of light was it?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:59 PM

Cali2Kmax,

When you say you were going to use an acrlic rod, what are you using now? How is the angel eye held up in the picture then if it aint held down?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
My feedback: It looks great! I want a fiber angel eye kit so bad for my 2K2 headlights! It would look alot better if there were two rings in each headlight, for the HID and for the highbeams.

As for the clear plastic, that looks really good. Everyone else either left it open or got some frosted plastic that didn't match up. You said you got the light at Home Depot? What section or type of light was it?
thanks 4 the feedback.. i got the lights where the lighting for the garden,walkway, and backyard were.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Cali2Kmax,

When you say you were going to use an acrlic rod, what are you using now? How is the angel eye held up in the picture then if it aint held down?
i am using an acrilic rod ( clear replacement wand for blinds)...the angel eye is just fitted it holds itself up but if theres movement it will move out of place
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM

did you seal it up yet? if so, how?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by serin
did you seal it up yet? if so, how?
no i haven't completed the install ...i won't be done until saturday when i don't have to go to work ...to seal it i was just going to put the headlights back in the oven to soften the glue but then the rods will soften so i'm only going to heat one side in the oven and use some Silicone II sealent on the other ...i will post pics when i am done installing hopefully on sunday
angel
Old 12-02-2002, 08:52 PM

Man you almost are making me crack open my headlights again for the 2nd time. I cracked them the first time to clear out the lights. But just trying to figure out out to put them on without affecting the beam pattern and know that is almost impossible.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:49 PM

Dang, that cleared out light really matches well with the running lamp. I'm almost tempted to clear out mine, but I dunno, still not really confident about it. Great job though!!! The angel eyes looks awesome too.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:10 PM

The match from that light bulb honestly looks perfect, like it came from the factory. Great find.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
The match from that light bulb honestly looks perfect, like it came from the factory. Great find.
I just how he tore that light up to get the lens out of it. I never wouldve thought of that.

Dixit
Old 12-02-2002, 10:17 PM

Great job on clearing the lights out with that reflector. That piece looks perfect! I've been trying to find a perfect match for a long time now. Could you give anymore deatils on the light you bought from home depot? Do you have a package with the name on it or anything? Thanks for any help
Old 12-03-2002, 01:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by emax95
Great job on clearing the lights out with that reflector. That piece looks perfect! I've been trying to find a perfect match for a long time now. Could you give anymore deatils on the light you bought from home depot? Do you have a package with the name on it or anything? Thanks for any help [/QUOTE

its in a generic package doesn't say anything but "11watt sealed light" on it ... just go to home depot they have them for sure.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:54 AM

damn that is off the hook...Where did you get the angle eyes...that looks bad ***...how did you seal it back up after you took off the light cover
Old 12-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Looks great!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can someone create a kit like this?

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic...=asc&start=390

Scroll down and look at the IS or Altezza in this post. The people on the IS forum are using a Fiber based product. It's costing them $150 for the kit, but that looks awesome. Does anyone have an idea about how to create it? Otherwise, the person who created this kit i'm sure will do one for the maxima provided there are enough people interested in the kit. What do you guys think? Go to the first page of the post to see how it's created.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Can someone create a kit like this?

How about creating a fiber optic ring using side glow cables?

Check out this website:

www.thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/sideglow.htm

I build plastic model kits from time to time, and love the use of lighting for them, so I came across this site that sells fiber optic cables, both end glow and side glow.

The only problem with side glow fiber optic cables is that they tend to require a brighter light source than even an ultra bright LED can produce. Makes you think about the possibilities, though. Hmmmm....
Old 12-03-2002, 05:56 PM
I miss the .org!

Can you explain sideglow and endglow?
Old 12-03-2002, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Can you explain sideglow and endglow?
End glow is where the light emits out of the end of the fiber optic cable. Side glow is where the light emits from all around the cable.

Side glow fiber optic cables would seem to me to be perfect for an angel eye car project.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:53 AM

Re: Can someone create a kit like this?

Originally posted by sorcereur
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic...=asc&start=390

Scroll down and look at the IS or Altezza in this post. The people on the IS forum are using a Fiber based product. It's costing them $150 for the kit, but that looks awesome. Does anyone have an idea about how to create it? Otherwise, the person who created this kit i'm sure will do one for the maxima provided there are enough people interested in the kit. What do you guys think? Go to the first page of the post to see how it's created.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity...2/dsc01126.jpg
http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity...2/dsc01128.jpg
If I can get angel eyes that emit color like above link....I'm so IN, to do it to my car
Old 12-04-2002, 07:02 AM

thanks guy for all your replies....
angel
OUCH!!!!

man you are good, i couldnt pry my lights like that, i'll do it sooner or later
Old 12-04-2002, 07:31 AM

That looks sweet. Where are you from Cali2kMax?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:12 AM

I was just thinking about this DIY idea. People knock the DIY way all the time, saying it's low quality and a pain to fix if the LED burns out. I had an idea of extending the rod through the back of the headlight housing, silicone around it to maintain the seal, and then the LEDs can be affixed from inside the engine bay, and if they burn out, you don't have to re-open your headlight assembly. Something to think about for those of you who want to do this yourselves.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:55 AM
maxedout1

Cali2kMax nice job looks good, just one question to you and those who have done this have you had any condensation problems in the headlight housing after opening them up and reealing them?

Old 12-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Horra!!

Dude, that looks so freakin' sick. How much? I'm in...
Old 12-04-2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by cartis
That looks sweet. Where are you from Cali2kMax?
thanks ....i stay in buena park.

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I was just thinking about this DIY idea. People knock the DIY way all the time, saying it's low quality and a pain to fix if the LED burns out. I had an idea of extending the rod through the back of the headlight housing, silicone around it to maintain the seal, and then the LEDs can be affixed from inside the engine bay, and if they burn out, you don't have to re-open your headlight assembly. Something to think about for those of you who want to do this yourselves.
after seeing those is300 angel eyes i wasn't gonna go with the DIY idea anymore but since i don't have the funds for them at the time i'm gonna go the cheaper route and hopefully by the time one of the leds burnout i will have enough for the set.

Originally posted by maxedout1
Cali2kMax nice job looks good, just one question to you and those who have done this have you had any condensation problems in the headlight housing after opening them up and reealing them?
i'll let you know as soon as i install them..i haven't done it to my original headlights yet

Quick Reply: angel eyes and clear blinker