5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 09:30 PM

"Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

"Servive Engine Soon" light has been coming on since I replaced my plugs at 61K. Strange thing is, I've been getting 25MPG since the change. Anyone? Is there anything in particular that I need to do to turn the light off? I've disconnected the battery for up to several hours and no result. I'm afraid that I might need to taking it to a dealer. Any info would help. Thanx. I'm going to leave it disconnected overnight.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:45 AM
Got Bent?

read the code...
Old 12-02-2002, 05:59 AM

Need Help with Service Light Also

On my 3 week old 03 SE, I just notice that the engine service light is faintly on. During the day, when I am outside I cannot see the faint yellow light AT ALL. But at night, I see it a little. It's not the bright yellow light when you start the car, it seems to a very light glow.

I don't remember seeing it before (it's possible that I just missed it though), so I don't know what's going on. Can you please tell me if that glow is normal, and if this is something I need to worry about.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:04 AM

Re: "Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

Originally posted by rubman
"Servive Engine Soon" light has been coming on since I replaced my plugs at 61K. Strange thing is, I've been getting 25MPG since the change. Anyone? Is there anything in particular that I need to do to turn the light off? I've disconnected the battery for up to several hours and no result. I'm afraid that I might need to taking it to a dealer. Any info would help. Thanx. I'm going to leave it disconnected overnight.
Disconnect the battery overnight then reconnect in the morning...works like a charm!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:04 AM
lcf

Re: Need Help with Service Light Also

Originally posted by hubbabubba
On my 3 week old 03 SE, I just notice that the engine service light is faintly on. During the day, when I am outside I cannot see the faint yellow light AT ALL. But at night, I see it a little. It's not the bright yellow light when you start the car, it seems to a very light glow.

I don't remember seeing it before (it's possible that I just missed it though), so I don't know what's going on. Can you please tell me if that glow is normal, and if this is something I need to worry about.

Thanks for your help!!
Many others have this same problem. A search might yield some good results.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:32 AM

Re: Re: Need Help with Service Light Also

Originally posted by lcf
Many others have this same problem. A search might yield some good results.

Good luck!
Yea, search for "Dim SES light" or "Dim check engine light". I had an interesting thing happen to me on mine. My SES light did the dim thing but I just ignored it. Over the weekend my door ajar light did the same thing!

Can anyone who had this replaced tell me what they do to take out the cluster? I'm worried that they might mess up my neon, bass boost ****, and stereo if I bring it in to have it fixed.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by rubman
believe me....it's your O2 sensor!!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:42 PM

Once again - go to autozone (on www.autozone.com use store locator) and get free diagnostics. They will tell you your OBDII codes and then you should know what the problem is.
Good luck
Old 12-03-2002, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: "Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

Originally posted by Teser
Once again - go to autozone (on www.autozone.com use store locator) and get free diagnostics. They will tell you your OBDII codes and then you should know what the problem is.
Good luck
Thanx for the suggestion, hadn't even thought about that. Will do that this weekend.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: "Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

Perhaps a dumb question.....but where is the hook-up for the diagnostics? I took my car to AutoZone tonight and they could not locate a hook-up location. I took a quick look and did not see it either. I am familiar with American vehicle hook-ups...but have never needed to check the Nissan.

Thanks

Originally posted by Teser
Good luck
Old 12-17-2002, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: "Service Engine Soon" Light coming on

Originally posted by flysiu
Perhaps a dumb question.....but where is the hook-up for the diagnostics? I took my car to AutoZone tonight and they could not locate a hook-up location. I took a quick look and did not see it either. I am familiar with American vehicle hook-ups...but have never needed to check the Nissan.

Thanks

It should be under the steering wheel, above the pedals. Get a flash light and you'll find it.
good luck.