5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

uuh, just got my x-drilled rotors. have question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 03:00 PM

uuh, just got my x-drilled rotors. have question

i ordered the stillen rotors from southwest and i just received them today. great service from southwest btw.

my question is that the front rotors seem to have an AWFUL lot of drillings in it. in fact, the entire rotors are drilled, with no discernable spiral pattern like in their pictures. since it's a stillen product, i don't really have any doubt as to the quality, but what's the advantage of all those holes??? i liked it better with the spiral pattern.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: uuh, just got my x-drilled rotors. have question

Originally posted by serin
i ordered the stillen rotors from southwest and i just received them today. great service from southwest btw.

my question is that the front rotors seem to have an AWFUL lot of drillings in it. in fact, the entire rotors are drilled, with no discernable spiral pattern like in their pictures. since it's a stillen product, i don't really have any doubt as to the quality, but what's the advantage of all those holes??? i liked it better with the spiral pattern.
Post pictures! I've seen the Stillen rotors, they have a pattern. Maybe you need to stand further back from them and look again . Maybe yours are messed up. We can't say for sure unless we see pictures.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:53 PM

Re: uuh, just got my x-drilled rotors. have question

Whoever was operating the CNC drill that day must have been hitting the crack pipe. It happens...
Old 12-24-2002, 04:57 PM

do they look like this??? these are the stillen's

Old 12-24-2002, 06:03 PM

nope. i'll take some pics when i get home.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:57 PM

i just took this photo. tell me what you guys think.

Old 12-24-2002, 08:01 PM

i'm reasonably certain these are genuine stillen parts, no reason to think that southwest would have made a mistake. if anything, i think i've seen this pattern on some type of big brake kit, not the normal OEM replacements. but if they shipped me the wrong rotors, the diameters wouldn't match up, and they seem to be the same size.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

i'm reasonably certain these are genuine stillen parts, no reason to think that southwest would have made a mistake. if anything, i think i've seen this pattern on some type of big brake kit, not the normal OEM replacements. but if they shipped me the wrong rotors, the diameters wouldn't match up, and they seem to be the same size.
could be a new design what I would do is after christmas call up stillen and sak if they had changed there design. I got mine about three months ago from JRNissanparts and they don't look like that.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by MyownNismo

could be a new design what I would do is after christmas call up stillen and sak if they had changed there design. I got mine about three months ago from JRNissanparts and they don't look like that.
well, that's what i'm thinking.

could very well be an improvement.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

well, that's what i'm thinking.

could very well be an improvement.
Maybe there going for this look.http://www.boostedmaximas.com/y2kevs...ake_kit/30.jpg
Old 12-24-2002, 09:11 PM

i dont think those are Stillen's. ive seen those before on someone else's ride but dont remember who. wouldnt too many holes be more likely too cause stress fractures.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:38 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by Dario
i dont think those are Stillen's. ive seen those before on someone else's ride but dont remember who. wouldnt too many holes be more likely too cause stress fractures.
did it say stillen on the box. When I got my front they came in a white box and then individually boxed in a brown box with stillen in red written on them. Also in the box did it have instructions from stillen in the proper break in of there rotors. Plus mine didn't have the two holes next to the lug holes. Whats the wriitng say on the rotor itself.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:58 AM

did it say stillen on the box. When I got my front they came in a white box and then individually boxed in a brown box with stillen in red written on them. Also in the box did it have instructions from stillen in the proper break in of there rotors. Plus mine didn't have the two holes next to the lug holes. Whats the wriitng say on the rotor itself.
yeah, it's got stillen written all over it. each rotor's boxed in a little box and then the pair is in a larger box. the two smaller ones and the large one all have stillen on em. proper break in instructions? you mean that photcopy of a single sheet? i've got it, and also a color brochure on the Brake Pros.

the writing just says RH and the other one says LH.

they told me at southwest, that when their supplies arrived last friday, they just slapped shipping labels on em and then sent them out with the same guy right there. so if there's a mistake, then stillen must have made it.

oh yeah, i've got stillen stickers now too
Old 12-25-2002, 02:01 AM

well, assuming that it's simply a new design, are the additional holes going to help braking that much? how about their effects on warping and crack-ability??
Old 12-25-2002, 06:59 AM

the additional holes are just going to help it cool off better, though i would think too many holes could weaken the overall rotor itself.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Got Bent?

mine don't have so many holes....

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nauman/images/DSCN0366.JPG

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nauman/images/DSCN0363.JPG

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nauman/images/DSCN0357.JPG
Old 12-25-2002, 10:38 AM
mjg

well, assuming that it's simply a new design, are the additional holes going to help braking that much? how about their effects on warping and crack-ability??
don't these additional holes just allow them to cool off quicker? I remember in physics something about htis increase the surface area somehow? (or would it be decreasing it i'm confused)

how could these rotors without the fancy breaks themself actually do that much?
Old 12-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here are mine... they look different than yours

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...8_182_full.jpg
Old 12-25-2002, 01:37 PM

yup ive got the same rotors you have cwally.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:19 PM

There have been some very detailed posts about cross drilled & slotted rotors do a search. I believe the slotted ones are better. Cross drilled are more for looks now a days. I'll look to see if I find the post I'm thinking of and I'll post a link.

Thats a bunch of holes in those (there is a spiral pattern) which may even hurt braking, less surface area. I wouldn't hit any water with those on if I were you.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:57 PM

Search results Including your post.

As I said there is some GOOD info in here. I may have been wrong about the slotted rotors but you have got a set of rotors that has a significant amount of surface area removed which will hurt your braking preformance in city driving. Due to less area the rotor will heat up quicker and to higher temps but will cool quicker. Hit a puddle when those things are hot...
Old 12-25-2002, 03:31 PM

Those don't look like mine either. Call Stillen and ask. Let us know. I don't care for the lack of surface area on those. A pair of quality blanks work great for street use.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

mine dont look like that either...
Old 12-25-2002, 03:58 PM
† ErV †

with that many holes i would not even put the things on. for one they will eat brake pads and heat up way too quick. it doesn't matter if they cool off faster after i am done crashing into the car in front. and then somebody mentioned water.. mmm

my .02 anyway.

Old 12-25-2002, 06:41 PM

I've never gotten any Stillen drilled rotors that looked like that, either.

Old 12-25-2002, 06:56 PM

Well, Serin it looks like you have to send them your rotors pic and ask them confirm. If its an error, i am sure they'll correct it. Did you order new brake pads with them too?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:12 AM

i've got a set a axxis metal master pads that i was planning on using.

i was thinking about the reduced surface area too, but that's only surface area in contact with the pads. total surface area would actually increase, ostensibly to help dissipate heat. the extra chamfered edges would add a great deal more bite. of course, the performance comes at the cost of more replacement pads, but i'm ok with that.

these rotors are growing on me. i'm inclined to keep them now. considering how many of the 'real' brake upgrade kits like AP, Wilwood, and even kev's Brembo setup seem to have a great number of drillings, i'm thinking that there's got to be a benefit to braking performance aside from appearances. i haven't heard anything about their rotors cracking cuz they hit a puddle. and honestly, for all the complaining we do about stillen's pricing and customer support shortcomings, i have a lot of respect for their r&d.

i'll definitely be calling them up soon, if for no other reason than curiosity, and post what i find out. but at this point, i plan on having them installed with the pads quite soon.

got rice btw, the part # on the box is NIS4500 for the front pair. don't know if that jigs with anything you're getting.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:18 AM

well if anything just find out who makes them because if Stillen doesnt and they billed you for a Stillen product you should get some money back.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:47 AM

i've got a set a axxis metal master pads that i was planning on using.

i was thinking about the reduced surface area too, but that's only surface area in contact with the pads. total surface area would actually increase, ostensibly to help dissipate heat. the extra chamfered edges would add a great deal more bite. of course, the performance comes at the cost of more replacement pads, but i'm ok with that.
If your getting these for looks and you like'em then by all means use'em and report back.
If your getting'em for not only looks but preformance then that reduced surface area "that's only surface area in contact with the pads" is the surface that slows you down.

these rotors are growing on me. i'm inclined to keep them now. considering how many of the 'real' brake upgrade kits like AP, Wilwood, and even kev's Brembo setup seem to have a great number of drillings, i'm thinking that there's got to be a benefit to braking performance aside from appearances. i haven't heard anything about their rotors cracking cuz they hit a puddle. and honestly, for all the complaining we do about stillen's pricing and customer support shortcomings, i have a lot of respect for their r&d.
The AP, Wilwood & Brembo are a LARGER diameter rotors with new LARGER calipers and LARGER pads that your stock size replacemants don't have to off set the number of holes. These LARGER rotors require you to buy LARGER diameter rims so the LARGER rotors will fit.
These kits also come with new SS brake lines. If you use the pads you have with new SS brake lines and a set of rotors, slotted or cross drilled with less holes, you WILL have much better preformance and the look your after too.
Please do some reading before you put them on. If nothing else look at these 2 posts.
Brake Upgrade Myths & Misconceptions All about brakes and how to prevent warped rotors. (long)
Old 12-26-2002, 12:45 PM

well, it turns out all the complaints about stillen customer service are correct. i called to see if there had possibly been a model change or if i had been shipped the wrong product. suffice it say that the guy 'helping' me was very condescending. essentially, he told me that if i can't stop, then call them back. not sure if i want to buy another stillen product.

maximaman thanks for looking out for me. but i'm not in it for the looks so much as a replacement for my warping oem rotors. no one's going to see em behind my stock wheels anyhow. this isn't something i plan on changing often, if at all again. and considering that i've read or heard about no problems with stillen products i decided it was worth the few extra bucks to go with a company that does some of its own r&d. had they offered a front pair with slots, i may have gone that route. but they don't, so it wasn't a real consideration for me.
and yes, i have read those threads and links on braking theory. i followed those threads for about a year now. but in practice i still haven't read anything about failure due to cross-drilling or any increase in a tendency to warp. my conclusion is that cross-drilling is ok as long as the company that does it knows what they're doing. again, my decision to go with stillen.

having said that, i'm very disappointed with their lack of concern for customer satisfaction.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

well, it turns out all the complaints about stillen customer service are correct. i called to see if there had possibly been a model change or if i had been shipped the wrong product. suffice it say that the guy 'helping' me was very condescending. essentially, he told me that if i can't stop, then call them back. not sure if i want to buy another stillen product.

maximaman thanks for looking out for me. but i'm not in it for the looks so much as a replacement for my warping oem rotors. no one's going to see em behind my stock wheels anyhow. this isn't something i plan on changing often, if at all again. and considering that i've read or heard about no problems with stillen products i decided it was worth the few extra bucks to go with a company that does some of its own r&d. had they offered a front pair with slots, i may have gone that route. but they don't, so it wasn't a real consideration for me.
and yes, i have read those threads and links on braking theory. i followed those threads for about a year now. but in practice i still haven't read anything about failure due to cross-drilling or any increase in a tendency to warp. my conclusion is that cross-drilling is ok as long as the company that does it knows what they're doing. again, my decision to go with stillen.

having said that, i'm very disappointed with their lack of concern for customer satisfaction.
So they where wrong.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

These are the Stillen Rotors on my car.

There definately shouldn't be that many holes drilled. Just looking at it you can almost guess at least 15% of the rotor material is drilled out. Where's the beef on them now? There's almost no pad contact area left. Forgetaboutit

I don't think I'd put them on any car I'm stopping with. They look like all show, no stop.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:59 PM

Yea and after you put them on and can't stop they won't take them back because they are used.

I'm not saying don't get cross drilled I'm saying get ones with less holes like you see in this thread and maybe some SS brake lines.

Call Southwest and ask them about the others they got in that didn't get shipped right back out and see if they're the same as yours or if they have less holes like Stillen used to ship. From what I've heard Southwest, unlike Stillen, really do care about their customers and will work with you. It's not their fault on this so it should be no prob.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

That is one "holy" rotor....
Old 12-26-2002, 06:22 PM

spoke to alex at southwest after i tried stillen and he set me straight.

these are the correct rotors. the 2000+ rotors have the pattern in in the picture i posted. these have been out for 3 and a half monthes now. the previous model did have the spiral pattern that we're used to but no longer.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

spoke to alex at southwest after i tried stillen and he set me straight.

these are the correct rotors. the 2000+ rotors have the pattern in in the picture i posted. these have been out for 3 and a half monthes now. the previous model did have the spiral pattern that we're used to but no longer.
When then I hope I can still get the older ons cause I still need the rear ones and I allready got the front ones and don't want them to look different.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:28 PM

my rears rotors look normal, like in the pics of other cars. i didn't ask, but i don't think they changed the rears.

When then I hope I can still get the older ons cause I still need the rear ones and I allready got the front ones and don't want them to look different.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:48 PM

well, it looks like it's settled. i've got the right parts.

i'll have them installed fairly soon and i'll let you guys know my impressions. i'm all apprehensive now.