5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ground controls...my verdict is in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 03:12 PM

ground controls...my verdict is in!

I have ground controls and tokicos on my maxima......i had noise when i turned and a knocking noise in the rear....
for the FRONTS here is what you do---at the shop i got mine put on..they had these rubber disks that we put between the spring and the metal seat at the top and bottom of the spring.......so the spring does not touch metal it just touches the rubber disk.....then i also lubed that thing down with "white lithium grease" ..end result..NO NOISE!...dont spray to much grease..it can look nasty...

for the REAR noise----i had tons of knocking noise....we took off the coilovers then added more rubber just like in the front coils....it did not cure the noise...then i rode in the trunk of my car while my friend drove...i saw that the top of the strut was moving up and down(which is normal) but mine was moving very very high and smacking down and making a loud clanking noise.....we then took the rear coils out and took out a huge rubber piece that was up in the top of the strut mount...i added a washer at around the top of the tokico shock.....then i put the rubber thing on...then put the whole coilvoer back together...this EXTRA cushining made it perfect..NO SOUND AT ALL!!!!....my car looks so nice..i am so happy....i have like 1 finger wheel gap all around.....the gc and tokico ride fine on these atlanta streets........i love the handling.....it is WAY !! better than my old eibach springs.........i will have pics after christmas when i get my new digi cam

albert
Old 12-24-2002, 04:35 PM

You sound very pleased, now im taking them into consideration.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:44 PM
lcf

One finger gap =
Old 12-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do us all a favor and please save this info on ur homepage/cardomain page as well for others as well. really good info thats gonna save alot of people time and money. thanx
Old 12-24-2002, 06:30 PM

LoL. What if someone has the symptoms he is talking about and really want to fix it? They would stumble upon this thread and discover the answers to their questions. Until then, this thread is bs though. hahaha
Old 12-24-2002, 06:32 PM

Zach....
Old 12-24-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
LoL. What if someone has the symptoms he is talking about and really want to fix it? They would stumble upon this thread and discover the answers to their questions. Until then, this thread is bs though. hahaha
to hell with you...you need to do something with your car....it's ewww..ugly.....stop criticizing my post.....thank you..
Old 12-25-2002, 10:42 AM
mjg

Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

then i rode in the trunk of my car while my friend drove..."

dude
you actually went to lay down in the trunk when your friend drove to figure out this noise?? hahah
i have to actually get way drunk to even consider something like this (and i have, i remember getting my head smacked all over the place, and sitting next to an amp, i was playing with the power cable cuz i was ****ed.
hahaha
Old 12-25-2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
How is this thread BS? Keep your comments to yourself especially when they arent needed.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
How is this thread BS? Keep your comments to yourself especially when they arent needed.
thanks ramsey
Old 12-25-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
That is why my reply to that was i knew this was gonna happen.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm not understanding why this thread is B.S. He took the time and effort to make sure everything was working with his suspension and he solved the problems allot of people here on the board have been having with the G.C. kit. Give the guy some credit he went through the time to solve the problem.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:38 PM

Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

Originally posted by rob van dam
I have ground controls and tokicos on my maxima......i had noise when i turned and a knocking noise in the rear....
for the FRONTS here is what you do---at the shop i got mine put on..they had these rubber disks that we put between the spring and the metal seat at the top and bottom of the spring.......so the spring does not touch metal it just touches the rubber disk.....then i also lubed that thing down with "white lithium grease" ..end result..NO NOISE!...dont spray to much grease..it can look nasty...

for the REAR noise----i had tons of knocking noise....we took off the coilovers then added more rubber just like in the front coils....it did not cure the noise...then i rode in the trunk of my car while my friend drove...i saw that the top of the strut was moving up and down(which is normal) but mine was moving very very high and smacking down and making a loud clanking noise.....we then took the rear coils out and took out a huge rubber piece that was up in the top of the strut mount...i added a washer at around the top of the tokico shock.....then i put the rubber thing on...then put the whole coilvoer back together...this EXTRA cushining made it perfect..NO SOUND AT ALL!!!!....my car looks so nice..i am so happy....i have like 1 finger wheel gap all around.....the gc and tokico ride fine on these atlanta streets........i love the handling.....it is WAY !! better than my old eibach springs.........i will have pics after christmas when i get my new digi cam

albert
Dat's a low drop for the Tokico's.. I'm sure they'll blow out shortly .
Old 12-25-2002, 07:40 PM

Re: Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Dat's a low drop for the Tokico's.. I'm sure they'll blow out shortly .
shadow had tokicos on his ground controls...and he had an even lower drop then i do....he has had his tokicos for like 20,000+ miles.....so im hoping for the best.....

PS..also stop making so many damn assumptions without trying it for yourself.....this setup was looked down upon at first and it turned out better than i thought.....thank you...
Old 12-25-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

shadow had tokicos on his ground controls...and he had an even lower drop then i do....he has had his tokicos for like 20,000+ miles.....so im hoping for the best.....

PS..also stop making so many damn assumptions without trying it for yourself.....this setup was looked down upon at first and it turned out better than i thought.....thank you...
I have the Tokicos with the H&R's and to me the Tokicos suck compared to all the other available.. I'm thinking about getting the Sprint's that will drop it to 1.8". Just think that the GC's are a lil too harsh for the tokicos..
Old 12-25-2002, 07:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I have the Tokicos with the H&R's and to me the Tokicos suck compared to all the other available.. I'm thinking about getting the Sprint's that will drop it to 1.8". Just think that the GC's are a lil too harsh for the tokicos..
well on the atlanta roads my gc's ride fine....i guess it depends on where you live...but if you havent even rode on ground controls how can you say they are harsh...have you?....don't listen to everything you hear...this entire post is a prime example of that......

but i hope they last a while...
Old 12-25-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ground controls...my verdict is in!

well on the atlanta roads my gc's ride fine....i guess it depends on where you live...but if you havent even rode on ground controls how can you say they are harsh...have you?....don't listen to everything you hear...this entire post is a prime example of that......

but i hope they last a while...
Actually I rode in a 5thgen with GC's and AGX's.. You do feel the ride is a lil more bouncy. But handling is definitely better. But then again I live in NYC. Hometown of all potholes